News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archosauria

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 26, 2017, 08:20:42 PM
I dont know about anyone else, but this is now making me want a line of sweet, edible dinosaur figures, each one based on a different kind of cake or dessert, and as unhealthy as they are scientifically accurate. 

Now that's a good idea.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Archosauria on October 26, 2017, 09:05:37 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 26, 2017, 08:20:42 PM
I dont know about anyone else, but this is now making me want a line of sweet, edible dinosaur figures, each one based on a different kind of cake or dessert, and as unhealthy as they are scientifically accurate. 

Now that's a good idea.

I would become a completist of that line.

Shonisaurus

Battat's amargasaurus can be criticized as any figure from another dinosaur company, but you have to realize the context of the time, it is still a reprint of the late Dan LoRusso, is more than twenty years. Apart from that although we are all or almost all are adult collectors of figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals and extinct, PVC figures are still toys in many cases intended more for children than for us regardless of the beauty of some of their creations that do not have to envy the resin figures at all.

Anyway I have that figure of amargasaurus of Battat and I am fortunate very happy with it and wish (I repeat) that all the figures of Battat discontinued will be re-marketed again without those abusive prices that are sold sadly on eBay . I know it is my opinion debatable, although I also have to admit that the amargasaurus Carnegie is superior to Battat for the reasons already commented.

It would be interesting for Collecta to make a new version of this improved figure and I also hope that the PNSO figure will be commercialized, which for me is an outstanding figure first in the world of collecting as much as in the toy world. For us collectors (yes if there is money and space) it is more recommendable the resin figures that sells for example Miromimus of urzeitshop to give an example, but we know that not all can afford these luxuries unfortunately.

dinosaurdungeon

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 25, 2017, 09:50:38 PM
Quote from: drjre77 on October 25, 2017, 04:56:42 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on October 24, 2017, 08:54:13 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on October 24, 2017, 08:47:52 PM
When I originally checked the link I mistook the PNSO Amargasaurus for the Papo's, then had a better look and realized that it was the PNSO one. What a let down.

It's super depressing. Even more depressing since we don't really know for sure if PNSO will release theirs.

Why doesn't the Papo Amargo look like this?:

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-yp39j5/ujq6o/products/685/images/965/carriereamarg2__53978.1384569453.500.750.jpg?c=2
that was my first sculpture turned resin model kit you shared in that link! Thanks for sharing! I don't recognize the website though.

I love the sculpture/resin model. It's more Papo than Papo. You should send the picture to Papo as a suggestion. Perhaps, they might consider hiring you..?

Thanks again for the nice comments! I personally love the Battat Amargasaurus. I think that the Battat line as a whole is great! that's why I'm working on a 1/40th scale Allosaurus. I plain on trying to get them to keep going with the line! One other thing to remember is that my Amargasaurus is 1/18th scale. so it is easier to get the detail right. I am blown away at those sculptors like Doug, and the sculptor who can get that level of detail in that small of a sculpt! that why the allosaurus is taking me so long! giant hands! lol

anyway you can it out at my Facebook page    https://www.facebook.com/DinosaurDungeon/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 26, 2017, 07:19:45 PM
I like the Battat dinosaurs, for the most part, but the Amarga isn't the best among them. I can forgive the presence of the sail given the age of the sculpt, but the sail isn't even symmetric, even if you account for the torsion of the neck. It's a slightly muddy sculpt, and as has been pointed out, the heavy-handed paint job doesn't help it.

I asked Dan LoRusso about the sail having a different height on one side of the neck, and he replied, "The head as well as the neck are turned to the left. I was attempting to show that and may have exaggerated that."  Here's the post he said this in (Reply #72): http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2529.msg68932#msg68932

Reptilia

Quote from: drjre77 on October 27, 2017, 08:17:55 PM
anyway you can it out at my Facebook page    https://www.facebook.com/DinosaurDungeon/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Wow, great sculpt! Battat would have the chance to start a fairly decent line by hiring you. Keep trying!

Sim

Quote from: Reptilia on October 26, 2017, 02:14:53 AM
Quote from: Sim on October 26, 2017, 12:42:32 AM
It's interesting that in Reply #75 you said people were exaggerating for disliking the Papo Polacanthus and Amargasaurus, but then you go and exaggerate here about the Battat Amargasaurus.

That's fine, anyone can exaggerate on whatever they want, and anyone can point it out. Is a lot easier than you think.

I don't understand what you mean with the bolded part.  In any case, if you're saying it's fine for people to intentionally exaggerate...  Unless done in certain humorous contexts, exaggerating tends to be unfair and is felt that way by others and it can also be misleading.

Quote from: Sim on October 26, 2017, 12:42:32 AM
It is possible to express that you feel the figure isn't very good in ways that show respect for other people's opinions of the figure, and the fact that the figure is well-made, but I guess you're not interested in that.

I assume that me using terms such as "shoddy" or "chinasaur" to define a figure is automatically a lack of respect for people who like the figure instead.

Your "assumption" is incorrect.  Please don't go assuming things like you did in the quote above and the quote below, it resulted in you arguing against things that weren't the case, and is the opposite of trying to understand how other people feel about what you said.  What shows a lack of respect for people who like the figure is:

1. When you say this: "These two aren't really good figures if you get out of the mythical aura that both Battat and Carnegie are surrounded. Especially Battat, the sculpt is so shoddy."  This implies people who think the Battat figure is good are mistaken, same for the Carnegie to a lesser extent, and that if people think they are good figures it's due to not being aware they are being affected by a "mythical aura".

2. When you say the Battat Amargasaurus "looks like one of those assorted chinasaurs you buy in plastic bags" after other members have expressed it's a dinosaur figure that's better than average and that a lot of effort went into making it look like the real animal.

It doesn't work like that Sim, I don't take back my words just because you do not approve them, I don't need your endorsement and I can express my disliking the way I want, as long as I don't offend anyone. Which I didn't, obviously. So you can't come here and tell me to use different expressions using the "respect of other people's opinion" excuse. In fact I perfectly respect other people's opinion, bacause I'm not questioning anybody's right to express them. Which is basically what you're doing here instead, cause you are obviously bothered by the terms "shoddy" and "chinasaur" referred to something you like.

Regarding the bolded part, I have found your comments offensive. Reasons for this I've explained previously in this post.  You even acknowledged at the end of the post the quote above is from that what you said might have been offensive: "I'm sorry if you feel my comments are derogatory, tactless or offensive, but as far as I know the terms I used are allowed."
Also, the last time you expressed your dislike when you compared the Battat Amargasaurus to drjre77's was made more annoying by how it was completely off-topic.  Not questioning someone's right to express their opinion doesn't equal respecting their opinion.  The two examples I listed under the previous quote show this.

A few other members have expressed criticisms of the Battat Amargasaurus in this thread after you did.  But notice it's only criticisms from you that people have expressed having a problem with.  The difference between other people's criticism and yours is in how it's expressed.  You've tended to make yours inflammatory.  This might be worth considering.

I'm not bothered by the terms "shoddy" and "chinasaur" being used for something I like, I'm bothered when they're used for something that doesn't deserve it.  How many of those "assorted chinasaur" sauropods have correctly U-shaped hands?  And how many show as much/more attention to skeletal and fleshy proportions as the Battat figure?

Didn't I make clear that my disliking for the figure is based on my own aesthetic taste?

Er... no.  The way you expressed your dislike made it seem like you were saying the figure was bad in objective ways, and that you were criticising people for thinking the figure was good.  You said some things were subjective, but there were things you said that didn't sound subjective.

Is that enough as an explanation?

It is for me.  Thanks for clarifying on why you dislike the figure.  I find it interesting to hear how other people see a figure, when what they express is fair.

tanystropheus

How is stating that one company makes 'chinasaurs' any different than stating that another company makes genetically hybridized monsters?

Neither comments are particularly offensive in the grand scheme of things (at least, no more than calling particular dinosaur toys, paleonerd or awesomebro)

dinosaurdungeon

So guys, what other new dinosaurs do you think will become available from Papo in 2018! I'm excited to see, but part of me hopes there's not too many new dinosaurs released because I still have some catching up to do.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: drjre77 on October 28, 2017, 07:25:28 PM
So guys, what other new dinosaurs do you think will become available from Papo in 2018! I'm excited to see, but part of me hopes there's not too many new dinosaurs released because I still have some catching up to do.

There has been speculation about a Giganotosaurus and Iguanodon since 2016 I think, they were supposed to come this year but they didn't, so maybe one of those, after that I don't really know what to expect, maybe a medium size theropod like Majungasaurus or Concavenator, I think they can pull those off well considering how nice Ceratosaurus and Cryolophosaurus are.

Takama

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on October 28, 2017, 07:34:33 PM
Quote from: drjre77 on October 28, 2017, 07:25:28 PM

There has been speculation about a Giganotosaurus and Iguanodon since 2016 I think, they were supposed to come this year but they didn't, so maybe one of those, after that I don't really know what to expect, maybe a medium size theropod like Majungasaurus or Concavenator, I think they can pull those off well considering how nice Ceratosaurus and Cryolophosaurus are.

Iguanodon and Acrocanthosaurus were ones that were suposed to come out in 2017. but as we know, only one of those came out.   

Shonisaurus

My biggest wish is that iguanodon is the best figure of that species made to date even if it is paleoartísticamente in the style of Jurassic Park, taking into account the philosophy of the company of Papo but detailed. I would not want it to be as disappointing as the amargasaurus.

On the other hand a giganotosaurus awesomebro would be interesting to compare it with the one of Safari, if it were the style of the acrocanthosaurus (although bigger) I would be interested to buy it. I hope that the iguanodon and giganotosaurus if they are made this year are not made by the same amargasaurus sculptor.

Faelrin

I'd like to see their take on Iguanodon, mostly because I'm curious, and it's an iconic dinosaur that's missing from their lineup. The only other ones I can think of that I'd be curious to see them do is Utahraptor or Giganotosaurus.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Joey

I think Papo can succeed in making a Megalosaurus which is missing from the figure/toy market besides Collecta's "attempt".

Minmiminime

I adore Doug Watson's beautiful and very accurate Iguanodon as a model, but I'd love to see it as the truly massive, powerful, robust, living thing it was...that's so hard to capture, especially in such a small figure! Iguanodon doesn't have many obvious distinguishing characteristics aside from that thumb spike, but when you're close to its skeleton, its beauty is overwhelming. It's always been a favourite of mine. Papo have always been so good at giving their figures a massive and/or living quality. I'm ever hopeful there will be other releases this year that succeed in capturing that, and if Iguanodon is one of them, I'll be ecstatic. I don't feel it's truly been done justice since Invicta's gorgeous but severely dated attempt!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Moodyraptor

Quote from: Minmiminime on October 28, 2017, 11:35:14 PM
I adore Doug Watson's beautiful and very accurate Iguanodon as a model, but I'd love to see it as the truly massive, powerful, robust, living thing it was...that's so hard to capture, especially in such a small figure! Iguanodon doesn't have many obvious distinguishing characteristics aside from that thumb spike, but when you're close to its skeleton, its beauty is overwhelming. It's always been a favourite of mine. Papo have always been so good at giving their figures a massive and/or living quality. I'm ever hopeful there will be other releases this year that succeed in capturing that, and if Iguanodon is one of them, I'll be ecstatic. I don't feel it's truly been done justice since Invicta's gorgeous but severely dated attempt!

100% agree, I love Iguanodon, it was one of the first dinosaur fossils I encountered "in the flesh" as a child, and the memory has stuck with me.  I'd love to see a Papo Iguanodon that matches the sculpt quality and presence of some of their better models. 

sauroid

so far the only Papo figures we know that are coming out next year are two quite disappointing ones. i hope Papo reveals something that would leave us all shook. i also hope that the brand makes a Chasmosaurus or Pentaceratops.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Reptilia

Quote from: sauroid on October 29, 2017, 12:31:54 PM
i also hope that the brand makes a Chasmosaurus or Pentaceratops.

Great idea, especially the latter. Had the Schleich one but I gave it away to a friend's son. As good as it is the Schleich Pentaceratops I'm sure a Papo version would be far superior.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Reptilia on October 29, 2017, 01:06:12 PM
Quote from: sauroid on October 29, 2017, 12:31:54 PM
i also hope that the brand makes a Chasmosaurus or Pentaceratops.

Great idea, especially the latter. Had the Schleich one but I gave it away to a friend's son. As good as it is the Schleich Pentaceratops I'm sure a Papo version would be far superior.

I think Pentaceratops is a perfect choice for a Papo ceratopsian. With that big frill and colorful eye spots like their Styracosaurus it would stand out in any crowd.

Reptilia

And it's been quite a while since they did their last ceratopsian, so keep our fingers crossed.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: