News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Reptilia on August 17, 2018, 11:43:22 PM
Quote from: Lizerd on August 12, 2018, 02:54:54 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on August 12, 2018, 12:27:53 PM
I wonder if Papo will treat us with some exclusive pre-release like they did the last couple of years.
Unlikely, they have hardly interacted with this forum.

I was talking about an exclusive box set like they did in 2016 and 2017, with the repainted Oviraptor and the young Spinosaurus originally released as part of said sets and then as standalone releases a few months later. I don't know what you mean by interaction with this forum.

The point was just talking to add nothing to the conversation. Nothing else can be taken from said statement other than that

Lizerd

R @Reptilia My lizerdic definition of interaction is sending say a rep or salesmen here or emailing members, so far nothing. But the toys still look pretty  :D
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

dragon53

I got the Therizinosaurus, Repaint Acrocanthosaurus and Iguanodon from ebay at 25% off (15% ebay sale, 10%seller discount) with free shipping.
My minor complaint about all three is the glossy finish (although the Repaint Acrocanthosaurus is less glossy than the original Rainbow Acrocanthosaurus). The matte finish on the Papo Allosaurus and Spinosaurus is more realistic-looking to me.
Also, the Therizinosaurus would be near-perfect if the claws were longer.
Overall, I'm very happy with all three.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: dragon53 on September 03, 2018, 02:56:38 PM
My minor complaint about all three is the glossy finish (although the Repaint Acrocanthosaurus is less glossy than the original Rainbow Acrocanthosaurus). The matte finish on the Papo Allosaurus and Spinosaurus is more realistic-looking to me.

Yeah, these glossy varnishes on Papo's more recent models are definitely annoying, though I'm glad they're learning to tone it down a little (we don't need a repeat of their Dilophosaurus, yikes)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Have any in-hand pics of the Acro been posted yet ?

IrritatorRaji

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon

Not sure about stuff posted here, but there's this video by Jurassic Collectables
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WvKbFzpI54

This review by Rupi Bolz (German)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irr8Wco5PkU

And this by Kathrins Dinoversum (German)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU8kjZmxQog

And various images from the facebook group 'PAPO Dinosaurs collector's club'

Timo Bach

Andreas Bolaños

Junior Wong

Jose R Vazquez Rodriguez

Nathan Acro Shepherd-Bell

Celina Stöcker

Blade-of-the-Moon

oscars_dinos

On amazon they show the Acrocanthosaurus with its old paint job (the purple and yellow one) does any one know if I where to order it off amazon which version I would receive??? I'm trying to get the newer one

dragon53

IMNEWHERE:

I got my Rainbow and Repaint Acrocanthosaurus, Therizonosaurus and Iguanodon on ebay from seller "bobchris72".
The Repaint is $33.27 with free shipping.

Josesaurus rex

I know that Papo is not characterized by its scientific precision, but I have seen that his Quetzalcoatlus looks quite according to what I know about the animal. At least for my inexperienced eye.

Would anyone with more knowledge about it be able to help me know if this interpretation of the pterosaur in question is really accurate? An opinion about the accuracy of the figure would be very helpful, as it would then decide whether to buy it or not.  :)

Lizerd

Quote from: Josesaurus rex on September 13, 2018, 03:58:15 PM
I know that Papo is not characterized by its scientific precision, but I have seen that his Quetzalcoatlus looks quite according to what I know about the animal. At least for my inexperienced eye.

Would anyone with more knowledge about it be able to help me know if this interpretation of the pterosaur in question is really accurate? An opinion about the accuracy of the figure would be very helpful, as it would then decide whether to buy it or not.  :)
Overall the accuracy is okay, but it lacks those funny feather like structures, but overall it's decent.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/

Ravonium

Overall the accuracy is okay, but it lacks those funny feather like structures, but overall it's decent.

While fairly unnoticeable, there are actually some pycnofibers (that's what you call those 'funny feather-like structures' ;) ).

The most noticeable inaccuracy of the Quetzalcoatlus is that it is fairly shrink wrapped (While most parts are shrink wrapped, it's especially bad on the back and neck). The pose is also questionable (Quetzalcoatlus would likely have stood upright, rahter than sprawl, as is depicted on the figure).

Overall, it's not perfect, but most of these are innacuracies that have been well recorded on other Papo figures, so if you own any other Papo figure, I'd recommend it. It is also their best pterosaur, accuracy-wise  :)

Shonisaurus

Papo's quetzalcoatlus apart from the scientific point of view (with its own flaws) is the best that has been done in terms of medium-large pterosaurs by a brand of toy dinosaurs. That the pose itself is somewhat exaggerated and in a way has a somewhat unsettling position, but for that reason it is still great and one of my favorite Papo 2018.

Lizerd

So there were funny feather things? Huh maybe I need new contacts...
But it still does look like it had some blubber sucked out of it, and the pose is still funny.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Lizerd on September 22, 2018, 02:22:01 AM
So there were funny feather things? Huh maybe I need new contacts...
But it still does look like it had some blubber sucked out of it, and the pose is still funny.

You should get the contacts that are resin free  8)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Ravonium on September 18, 2018, 09:15:49 PM

Overall, it's not perfect, but most of these are innacuracies that have been well recorded on other Papo figures, so if you own any other Papo figure, I'd recommend it. It is also their best pterosaur, accuracy-wise  :)

I thought their Tupuxuara was the most accurate.

Ravonium

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 22, 2018, 03:36:54 AM
I thought their Tupuxuara was the most accurate.

I forgot about the Tupuxuara when making that post. I'd say the Tupuxuara is roughly equivalent to the Quetzalcoatlus in terms of number of inaccuracies.

Shonisaurus

Papo's tupuxuara is comparable in genius to his quetzalcoatlus that his figure obviously is much smaller.

MoarCrossovers

Has anyone ever had issues with the Quetz's legs?

Minmiminime

No, the only issue I've had is the upper head is fitted on a tad wonky, but it's an easy fix with hot water...never had any issues with the legs, I hope nothing develops..!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: