News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

i hope the big brands would start making non-human extinct primates (Gigantopithecus etc.) instead of the really cheesy neanderthals theyve been making during the past years.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

ZoPteryx

Oof, rough year for Papo.  :-\

No comment on that Amargasaurus.  Really hard to believe it's actually a Papo figure...  :-X

That Iguanodon is pretty odd looking.  Detail is good, but the hindlimbs look under-muscled and the hands are incorrectly oriented.  Definitely at least partially Disney inspired, it pales in comparison to the Safari and CollectA versions, imho.  Interesting to see how that articulated jaw will work.

The Therizinosaurus is kind of cool, if only the body was about a quarter smaller and the legs a quarter larger.  I'll need to see more photos.  Might make a decent "Monster Reaper Lizard".  ::)

Caveman is meh to me.

The baby Spino isn't really my cup of tea, but I think it's an interesting speculative JP-esque figure.

Overall, I think I'll be passing on Papo next year.  Unless of course they have something else hidden up their sleeve...

tanystropheus

Wow, you guys are really out of this world in terms of the nitpicky factor. I guess y'all can't please everyone.

Really, these 2 models look super stylish. They (Iguanodon and Therizinosaurus) almost look like those $300-$400 sideshow pieces, except that they are much smaller in size (and, cheaper). I guess people on this forum are not into that high-end professionally made model kit type look...oh well... ::)

Well, anyways, the Amarga kinda sucks.

tanystropheus

Quote from: sauroid on November 14, 2017, 04:55:22 AM
the Theri could be both gravid and pot bellied :D

i was hoping that Papo would blow me away with their new releases. i just feel meh rn.

I was actually blown away by these releases. I think the girth on these models look quite organic. I hope I'm not the only person on this forum that was incredibly impressed by the Iguano and Theri. These are some superbly made herbivores, IMO.

I remember when folks were raving about the CollectA Theri when it was first released. And, this model appears to be superior in terms of quality and production values across the board...yet, it is critically panned ...because, it's a Papo.

sauroid

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 14, 2017, 08:13:07 AM
Quote from: sauroid on November 14, 2017, 04:55:22 AM
the Theri could be both gravid and pot bellied :D

i was hoping that Papo would blow me away with their new releases. i just feel meh rn.

I was actually blown away by these releases. I think the girth on these models look quite organic. I hope I'm not the only person on this forum that was incredibly impressed by the Iguano and Theri. These are some superbly made herbivores, IMO.

I remember when folks were raving about the CollectA Theri when it was first released. And, this model appears to be superior in terms of quality and production values across the board...yet, it is critically panned ...because, it's a Papo.
i actually like the Papo Theri and Iguanodon, these two might be the only 2018 releases id buy from Papo. altho to be honest, they arent that exciting, but still good and worth spending money on.
and to add, i guess people were expressing their disappoinments because they were expecting more from Papo. (i am a Papo fan btw. i am not one of those people who bash the brand because they don't make "accurate" figures)

and yes, i can't stand that Amargasaurus
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

IrritatorRaji

The Therizinosaurus looked promising til I saw it's pot belly.

Then again, Papo are experts at taking unflattering stock images,  so I suppose I won't knock it til I see it in real life.

oscars_dinos

The past 3 years have been so odd for papo.
2016 brought us the really good kaprosuchus, the ok feathered raptor and the controversial baryonx,
2017 was great all around but now this year ....I say it's half and half...in a way I like that they focused more on herbavors and I really do think the iguanadon is great (I think the picture isn't good)... the therizinosaur is easily my favorite and I'm ok with the belly... the amagasaurus....it's fine I think it will look better in person but yea ....I see its problems....the spino has been talked about enough already and the cave man is just no....

Roselaar

I'm not at all disappointed yet in the Papo Iguanodon and Therizinosaurus. Especially the latter gets some mean comments. I remember the same thing happend to the Baryonyx, which was also sold by Papo via a bad stock photo showing it from an odd angle. I get the feeling the same is true for the Theri. It might look a lot better than the picture suggests.

The only real disappointment is the Amargasaurus, I'll give you that.

Shonisaurus

Sincerely the therizinosaurus we know that it has that belly. There is no blind person who does not want to see. But honestly I think the strong figure of this year. At least Papo has attended to the demands of the forum to make one.

For me it is a beautiful figure although it is not scientific as it was in his day the baryonyx.

On the other hand the iguanodon I would have liked more one of WWD than in the dinosaurio Disney that they have been based but we can not say either that bad figure is in a standard of average quality.

We must also wait for other photos of these dinosaurs to appear, since usually the promotional photographs of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals differ fortunately from the real figures when you see them physically. Apart from that Papo in his promotional figures almost no dinosaur figure comes out favored.

As for the amargasaurus unfortunately I have little hope  :( is a frankly loose figure as I have repeated several times can be compared to prehistoric reptiles. It may be the sculptor himself.

Minmiminime

Well, I can't wait to see further photos of the Theri and the Iguanodon, peculiarities aside I'm very excited by them  ;D

They greatly make up for the other releases, which I won't be touching with a barge pole
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Bokisaurus

The more I look at that Their, the more I grow to like it. It will be my first Papo purchase in a long time after the Apato.

stargatedalek

So did Papo reveal everything? Or just these? Or are these leaks?

I'd like to see what's coming modern-wise.

Faelrin

I'm wondering if there is more as well considering all the figures they put out for 2017. I mean there was the Polacanthus, the Acrocanthosaurus, the Ceratosaurus, the Cryolophosaurus, the two repaints (raptor and Oviraptor), the Cave Bear, the Roaring Smilodon, and the Dimorphodon. If not counting the repaints that was seven new sculpts. For the 2018 releases, there's only four new sculpts revealed so far, being the Amargasaurus, Iguanodon, Therizinosaurus, and Juvenile Spinosaurus.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Ceratosaurus

Also the juvenile spinosaurus has already been released as a limited edition gift box with the ceratosaurus. Not sure if you can count that as a new release.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Takama

Quote from: Gartner13 on November 14, 2017, 07:51:43 PM
Also the juvenile spinosaurus has already been released as a limited edition gift box with the ceratosaurus. Not sure if you can count that as a new release.

Byt that logic, we should not count the New Safaris as new releases

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Takama on November 14, 2017, 08:20:55 PM
Quote from: Gartner13 on November 14, 2017, 07:51:43 PM

Byt that logic, we should not count the New Safaris as new releases

Nor, according to this logic, could we say that tyrannosaurus rex, carnotaurus and velociraptor by Schleich are new launches, but even if they are sold in stores like the juvenile spinosaurus they are still figures from 2018.

PhilSauria

Revisited the images of the new releases a few times over the last 24 hours and at this point I think I will be getting the Iguanodon (picked up a few of this species this year and the herd of these is looking pretty decent so I'll be making room for the Papo after all), and I warming to the Therizinosaur. Think I'll be keeping the mouth closed on the Iguanodon but open on the Theriz as better suits the defensive pose. Never say never, eh. First impressions can be colored by expectation, especially with a company like Papo, but then when you take the time to actually assess what has been released opinions can change, at least mine did.

Irritation

Some of my opinions don't change for most of the figures I get. Like when I see the Papo Kaprosuchus [Even though I don't have him], I mostly think of the figure as a random crocodilian that stole the Kaprosuchus' legs.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Irritation on November 14, 2017, 08:57:09 PM
Some of my opinions don't change for most of the figures I get. Like when I see the Papo Kaprosuchus [Even though I don't have him], I mostly think of the figure as a random crocodilian that stole the Kaprosuchus' legs.

I would imagine that the crocodile base would make the Kaprosuchus appear more authentic (they same way Mosasaur interpretations are becoming more monitor lizard like). Perhaps, if Papo had made the teeth more accurate, it would appear less random (as a crocodilian)...I dunno.

I find it fascinating that we are receive 3 excellent Iguanodons (WS, CollectA and Papo) in recent years.

PaleoMatt

Papo's worst year in a while.

Amargasaurus looks hideous. The Iguanadon is just starnge to me and I'm extremely dissapointed. And I agree with what people said about the Therizinosaurus (why did I search that on dA?).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: