News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Quote from: PaleoMatt on November 14, 2017, 10:35:59 PM
Papo's worst year in a while.

Amargasaurus looks hideous. The Iguanadon is just starnge to me and I'm extremely dissapointed. And I agree with what people said about the Therizinosaurus (why did I search that on dA?).
I believe the animal Papo is trying to portray is the yet unpublished Therizinosaurus deviantarti, it's mere portrayal is said to lead to the search for Dinosaur fetish art.

alexeratops

Well well.

They're not...good, but there was some effort made, I guess.

The Therizinosaurus is actually kind of cute in a way, I'm glad to see Papo made my favorite  ^-^ .
like a bantha!

tanystropheus

Amargasaurus looks hideous. The Iguanadon is just starnge to me and I'm extremely dissapointed. And I agree with what people said about the Therizinosaurus (why did I search that on dA?).

Other than the Amarga, I would say that this is one of their stronger years. I think the Iguano and the Theri are enough to make 2018 awesome. When we compare Iguano to their Para, we can tell how much Papo has improved over the years (the Iguano is easily on par or better than the emaciated PNSO hadrosaurs). When the CollectA Theri was released, it was praised as the "lovechild of Carnegie and Papo". This Papo version takes it up a notch. I think people just want their dinosaurs to be lean (Araki-style) and are biased against obese dinosaurs. And, I hope we aren't counting the Neanderthal as the majority of Neanderthal toys in the market are a joke.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Loon on November 14, 2017, 10:43:23 PM

I believe the animal Papo is trying to portray is the yet unpublished Therizinosaurus deviantarti, it's mere portrayal is said to lead to the search for Dinosaur fetish art.

That's hilarious if true.

Another stocky Theri interpretation:

https://orig00.deviantart.net/c553/f/2014/246/4/9/therizinosaurus_by_baryonyx_walkeri-d7xs8o0.jpg

Kaprosaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 14, 2017, 10:54:20 PM
Quote from: Loon on November 14, 2017, 10:43:23 PM

That's hilarious if true.
Hopefully not,if it does well the dinosaur collecting market would have been burned down. ;D

SpartanSquat

Maybe after Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom boom they probably will make dinosaurs based from the movie

Takama

Quote from: RolandEden on November 14, 2017, 11:45:27 PM
Maybe after Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom boom they probably will make dinosaurs based from the movie

They alredy based there Dimorphodon off of the one from the First Jurassic World. So if there are new Dinosaurs in that filme that they "DID NOT MAKE" prior to its release, then i imagine we can expect them to ripp it off.

Irritation

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 14, 2017, 09:48:17 PM
Quote from: Irritation on November 14, 2017, 08:57:09 PM
Some of my opinions don't change for most of the figures I get. Like when I see the Papo Kaprosuchus [Even though I don't have him], I mostly think of the figure as a random crocodilian that stole the Kaprosuchus' legs.

I would imagine that the crocodile base would make the Kaprosuchus appear more authentic (they same way Mosasaur interpretations are becoming more monitor lizard like). Perhaps, if Papo had made the teeth more accurate, it would appear less random (as a crocodilian)...I dunno.

I find it fascinating that we are receive 3 excellent Iguanodons (WS, CollectA and Papo) in recent years.
IDK. I usally think Kaprosuchus would have a shorter mouth like the Safari LTD version.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Takama on November 14, 2017, 11:50:14 PM

They alredy based there Dimorphodon off of the one from the First Jurassic World. So if there are new Dinosaurs in that filme that they "DID NOT MAKE" prior to its release, then i imagine we can expect them to ripp it off.
Well I want a Mosasaur based from the movie or even a remade like Ankylosaurus. Also probably we will see an Indoraptor based creature

Irritation

Quote from: RolandEden on November 15, 2017, 12:02:47 AM
Quote from: Takama on November 14, 2017, 11:50:14 PM

Well I want a Mosasaur based from the movie or even a remade like Ankylosaurus. Also probably we will see an Indoraptor based creature
I would love to see them do a Stygimoloch since it's going to be in the film.

suspsy

Could someone please add the new images to the front page?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Khanosaurus

Quote from: Loon on November 13, 2017, 08:04:39 PM
Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on November 13, 2017, 06:06:54 PM
It would be really cool if someone put the effort into creating a line of authentic extinct hominin figures, better than the Bullylands.
Yes. Please. Now. Geez, companies seem so shy about making extinct hominids, you'd think they were run by Creationists.

I would honestly dig a line of small army men sized hominids, coming in like a set per species, with varying sexes, ages, and poses for each figure. Maybe they could have little playsets since they'd be so small......but dreams do not come true.
I'm hoping Papo announces a Giganotosaurus soon. If not I will be very dissapointed. They must. Only three figures this year. And all herbivores. I'm sure they are waiting to announce atleast one carnivore

tanystropheus

Quote from: Khanosaurus on November 15, 2017, 02:40:56 AM
It would be really cool if someone put the effort into creating a line of authentic extinct hominin figures, better than the Bullylands.
Yes. Please. Now. Geez, companies seem so shy about making extinct hominids, you'd think they were run by Creationists.

I would honestly dig a line of small army men sized hominids, coming in like a set per species, with varying sexes, ages, and poses for each figure. Maybe they could have little playsets since they'd be so small......but dreams do not come true.
I'm hoping Papo announces a Giganotosaurus soon. If not I will be very dissapointed. They must. Only three figures this year. And all herbivores. I'm sure they are waiting to announce atleast one carnivore

It's possible. Papo doesn't always announce all their figures at the same time.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 15, 2017, 06:50:22 AM
Quote from: Khanosaurus on November 15, 2017, 02:40:56 AM

It's possible. Papo doesn't always announce all their figures at the same time.

Isn't that usually for repaints?

Shonisaurus

A giganotosaurus was promised by Papo two years ago, so for me it would be a disappointment that they did not do one, I would like it to be done within the philosophy of Papo within the canons of detail of the spinosaurus, tyrannosaurus rex (I name it vastatosaurus) or acrocanthosaurus. I know positively that it will be based on a creature from Jurassic Park.

But I would like it to be hyperrealistic as it used to be and to make a good team with its therizinosaurus, even improving on this last mentioned figure I hope the giganotosaurus and the therizinosaurus are my favorite figures of the Papo company this year.

Faelrin

Aside from the Giganotosaurus, I'm not sure what Papo could make next. They've done most of the popular theropods by now, and some popular herbivores. I know Utahraptor is popular, but I'm not sure if they will make it since they have the numerous JP raptors, and the Feathered Velociraptor. Maybe a JW or Sideshow style Mosasaurus, but yeah I'm not sure what's left that they could make if they don't start branching out.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

From the thread that has the Mr.Seo interview, the sculptor of Papo:

Quote from: Dyscrasia on May 28, 2015, 09:42:43 AM

This is something I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED in the first place, but simply forgot to  :-[

- Mr. Seo does have plans to sculpt a Giganotosaurus, and is currently studying the differences between it and T. rex (the tub minis aren't sculpted by him though).

- However, unlike the other three mentioned dinosaurs, it is currently just a plan and it seems like he is waiting approval from Papo.
Everybody acts like papo promised a Giganotosaurus years ago and thus the company owes one. But guys, the only one that "promised" a Giga, was the sculptor. But he only said that he had PLANS, but he needed Papo´s approval. Maybe Papo did not approved the Giganotosaurus.

Another comment aside. Personally I don´t care anymore if papo does or does not make a Giga because the Safari one is already excelent in my opinion.

Takama

Quote from: MLMjp on November 15, 2017, 05:17:14 PM

This is something I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED in the first place, but simply forgot to  :-[

- Mr. Seo does have plans to sculpt a Giganotosaurus, and is currently studying the differences between it and T. rex (the tub minis aren't sculpted by him though).

- However, unlike the other three mentioned dinosaurs, it is currently just a plan and it seems like he is waiting approval from Papo.
Everybody acts like papo promised a Giganotosaurus years ago and thus the company owes one. But guys, the only one that "promised" a Giga, was the sculptor. But he only said that he had PLANS, but he needed Papo´s approval. Maybe Papo did not approved the Giganotosaurus.

Another comment aside. Personally I don´t care anymore if papo does or does not make a Giga because the Safari one is already excelent in my opinion.

a qhote from the Thread
This is a very recent interview with one of Papo's sculptor, Mr. Seo.
The Papo dinosaurs, pterosaurs, big cats and mutant animals are sculpted by him.

http://blog.naver.com/eurofd/220371793092

Unfortunately, the interview is in Korean, but there are several pics which you folks might enjoy looking at.

Since I am too lazy and not good enough to translate the whole thing, I'll just list some of the contents from the interview which might interest forum members (focused on dinosaurs).

- Inspiration: Basically he uses both scientific literature and dinosaurs depicted in mass media in order to satisfy both children and adult collectors (due to demand by Papo rather than his own decision).

- Mr. Seo says that the details of the production pieces are not on par with the prototypes, but Papo is figuring out ways to improve this issue along with warping issues for future products.

And probably the biggest question the forum members may have  ;D - Future dinosaur products;

A Baryonyx sculpt has been recently finished, and will have a relatively vibrant color scheme.

A feathered Velociraptor is currently being sculpted.

An Iguanodon will be sculpted in the near future, which will be the next herbivore dinosaur from Papo.

Me thinks he is not well versed into dinosaurs.

Honestly, i think the Acrocanthosaurus looks too close to a Potential Giganotosaurus that they "maybe" will not consider it anymore

Khanosaurus

Quote from: Takama on November 15, 2017, 05:31:12 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on November 15, 2017, 05:17:14 PM

a qhote from the Thread
This is a very recent interview with one of Papo's sculptor, Mr. Seo.
The Papo dinosaurs, pterosaurs, big cats and mutant animals are sculpted by him.

http://blog.naver.com/eurofd/220371793092

Unfortunately, the interview is in Korean, but there are several pics which you folks might enjoy looking at.

Since I am too lazy and not good enough to translate the whole thing, I'll just list some of the contents from the interview which might interest forum members (focused on dinosaurs).

- Inspiration: Basically he uses both scientific literature and dinosaurs depicted in mass media in order to satisfy both children and adult collectors (due to demand by Papo rather than his own decision).

- Mr. Seo says that the details of the production pieces are not on par with the prototypes, but Papo is figuring out ways to improve this issue along with warping issues for future products.

And probably the biggest question the forum members may have  ;D - Future dinosaur products;

A Baryonyx sculpt has been recently finished, and will have a relatively vibrant color scheme.

A feathered Velociraptor is currently being sculpted.

An Iguanodon will be sculpted in the near future, which will be the next herbivore dinosaur from Papo.

Me thinks he is not well versed into dinosaurs.

Honestly, i think the Acrocanthosaurus looks too close to a Potential Giganotosaurus that they "maybe" will not consider it anymore

This worries me. Maybe the rumor about the Giga was actually about the acro. Who knows. But considering that papo has like 5 variants of the T-Rex Red and velociraptor  I don't see why they wouldn't make a Giga. Besides making a Giga would only benefit papo for it would definitely sell.

Minmiminime

Ah. This could be why his dinosaurs have this peculiar dichotomy of being very convincing, yet largely inaccurate..! If only they could reconcile the two. It's cheering that he's apparently doing a bit more research into his sculpts, at least ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: