News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primeval12

News from Everything Dinosaur's Facebook!! YEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Minmiminime

It interesting that ED put comparison shots of the original and revised caveman together. There seems to have been a marked reduction in quality in the new version.

I hope Papo will continue to make beautiful dinosaurs, even if they continue to have their peculiarities; I hope they're not in the process of reducing Mr Seo's stunning output in favour of poorer, cheaper models.

But, I only buy around two of their dinosaurs a year, anyway, so...next year is sorted regardless
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

suspsy

Came across the Ceratosaurus/Spinosaurus baby two-pack at Mastermind Toys this afternoon. Ye gods, the contrast between the two of them is nuts. The Ceratosaurus is arguably their best theropod yet; the Spinosaurus looks like a cheap knockoff product by comparison.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

The playset is hilarious.

The Therizinosaurus and Iguanodon definitely look less like toys and more like high-end model kits. Hopefully, the Iguano will look less awkward from other angles.

Shonisaurus

They will undoubtedly be his two strong figures of the year 2018. I would like anyway that some trader will tell us how much they measure therizinosaurus and iguanodon.  8)

However the promotional photos do not think they do justice to iguanodon and therizinosaurus I think they can be even better seeing them from various angles. The therizinosaurus is for me a great figure and the iguanodon will keep company with those of Safari and Collecta. Hopefully one day Schleich will be encouraged to reprint a much improved version of this species and give a hundred returns to the version he did in 2002 if I remember correctly.  :D

The amargasaurus I suppose will be the same size as Carnegie's or Battat's.

Loon

The playset looks like something I'd find at IKEA. It'd probably called a "Dinoschtufen" or something.

Flaffy

Oof, Papo digging deeper and deeper into their grave.
This playset's a joke, along with the rest of the releases for next year.

Takama

HAve you guys seen ANY of the ther other playsets over the years?

That Volcano is pretty standard.

Loon

Quote from: Takama on November 20, 2017, 02:35:29 AM
HAve you guys seen ANY of the ther other playsets over the years?

That Volcano is pretty standard.
I don't even think they look too bad, they've got a charm to them for sure.

Shonisaurus

Each company has its philosophy and in this case both Papo and Schleich have a way of making landscapes in this case different prehistoric. Obviously these caves or landscapes for dinosaurs are more intended for children's play than for a collector.

It would be interesting if a company made landscapes such as volcanoes, caves or trees for collectors. I honestly do not care about space issues, but I understand the concern for collectors who want to make dioramas that are made by toy companies more finished scenarios.

However, Schleich's are good and Papo's are destined for the game, and I suppose they will do those kinds of landscapes to prevent children from suffering accidents.

Dinomike

I think the Iguanodon and Therizinosaurus models look good! They have very massive feeling to them. Don't know why some many people think they're bad. I'm excited to see a video review on them.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

tanystropheus

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on November 20, 2017, 02:32:03 AM

So, a company makes one cutesy product (e.g. playset), and one that isn't even necessarily part of the core line, and it is "digging itself in the grave". Talk about being incredibly biased and secretly rooting for a particular team (and the hypothetical demise of Papo)?

Actually, the Iguano and Theri are superior products, and there are many members and enthusiasts here with artistic inclinations that will agree.

stargatedalek

I don't see what about them is superior. The Therizinosaurus is visually interesting sure, but nothing about that image really shows me it's any better than the deluxe CollectA, it could be, but nothing indicates that from this one photo. And frankly I think the Iguanodon looks ridiculous, the giant bulging muscles and knobbly bits pronouncing every little feature looks silly to my eye.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on November 20, 2017, 02:32:03 AM

I do not think Papo is digging his grave. He has done a very interesting therizinosaurus, sincerely for me it is cool.

The iguanodon is not a bad figure but, on the contrary, it will be a very detailed and hyper-realistic figure, as Papo usually does.

Another thing is the amargasaurus. The fact that Papo is bad economically does not mean that he is digging his grave. What Papo has decided this year is to make fewer models of prehistoric animals. The year 2017 was a year too rare in the company Papo, since it usually only reveals around a maximum of three to five figures and in this year they revealed if I remember correctly a whopping eight figures which is not normal in Papo.

I sincerely like as a collector other companies more involved in making more accurate paleoartistic figures, however I like Papo's figures so beautifully detailed that they are made even if they are not faithfully paleontological recreations.

BlueKrono

That is undoubtedly the weirdest tripod I've ever seen. They keep raising the bar.  ;D
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 20, 2017, 07:11:52 PM
I don't see what about them is superior. The Therizinosaurus is visually interesting sure, but nothing about that image really shows me it's any better than the deluxe CollectA, it could be, but nothing indicates that from this one photo. And frankly I think the Iguanodon looks ridiculous, the giant bulging muscles and knobbly bits pronouncing every little feature looks silly to my eye.

Superior in quality and production values. It's quite unlike Papo's Amarga, the Polacanthus or even the CollectA Theri. While the Iguano may look ridiculous, it isn't all that different from interpretations by various artists of high end resin kits. It might also be the angle, and I find the premature assessments by other forum members to be odd and exaggerated. The Papo Acro and Baryonyx changed considerably based on the angles presented. I don't see how the Iguano or Theri are inferior from previous Papo efforts or that Papo is somehow "digging deeper and deeper into their grave". The statement is unjustified.

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 20, 2017, 07:45:39 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on November 20, 2017, 07:11:52 PM

Superior in quality and production values. It's quite unlike Papo's Amarga, the Polacanthus or even the CollectA Theri. While the Iguano may look ridiculous, it isn't all that different from interpretations by various artists of high end resin kits. It might also be the angle, and I find the premature assessments by other forum members to be odd and exaggerated. The Papo Acro and Baryonyx changed considerably based on the angles presented. I don't see how the Iguano or Theri are inferior from previous Papo efforts or that Papo is somehow "digging deeper and deeper into their grave". The statement is unjustified.
I definitely agree with you there, these certainly aren't a decrease in quality by any means...

But I still disagree on the point of them being superior. I recently purchased the Papo Kaprosuchus and the production quality was appalling, mold flashing everywhere, sloppy paint, and even a few chips. CollectA definitely uses a poorer quality of paint, but their applications are often some of the best available. In fairness it could also be their "softer" style makes paint work more forgivable than Papo's hard lines and hyper detailed sculpts, where even a bit of paint slip can be incredibly detracting.

As for the Iguanodon, I think I know of those others you mentioned and I find them equally ridiculous looking. Just because something is high-end doesn't mean the quality of the design is automatically more realistic or more aesthetically pleasing.

danmalcolm

(100th post!)

How would people say the accuracy of the papo iguanodon compares to the collecta one? I mean, it's only stock photos at this point, but is the collecta superior in that area?

suspsy

Quote from: danmalcolm on November 20, 2017, 10:23:17 PM
(100th post!)

How would people say the accuracy of the papo iguanodon compares to the collecta one? I mean, it's only stock photos at this point, but is the collecta superior in that area?

Yes, it does indeed appear to be.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on November 20, 2017, 11:18:37 PM
Quote from: danmalcolm on November 20, 2017, 10:23:17 PM

Yes, it does indeed appear to be.

I would argue that the we don't have a great angle on the Papo Iguano, but based on initially impressions, it does appear to be somewhat over-muscled (as far as the hind limbs are concerned) while simultaneously appearing stocky (pregnant?) in the body...As of now, the upcoming CollectA Iguanodon is probably the best representation of the species as it is comparable to the DinostoreUs/Favorite 1:35 version. Hopefully, CollectA doesn't tinker too much with the formula and add a sub-par base with it. I also love the WS version, especially the teal colored eyes.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: