News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

Quote from: Rain on December 16, 2017, 12:59:47 PM
I assumed he's talking about the sculpting detail, not the goofy looking sculpt.

I agree. That's the only thing it would make sense for him to be talking about.

Reptilia

Or he might just not like Collecta and Safari Ltd and he's simply expressing his disappointment.

suspsy

Quote from: Reptilia on December 16, 2017, 01:40:43 PM
Or he might just not like Collecta and Safari Ltd and he's simply expressing his disappointment.

Which still doesn't make it an accurate statement. Even if you can't stand the taste of fish, it makes no sense to disparage another food by comparing it to fish.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ravonium

Quote from: suspsy on December 16, 2017, 01:48:00 PM
Which still doesn't make it an accurate statement. Even if you can't stand the taste of fish, it makes no sense to disparage another food by comparing it to fish.

Theoretically, it does make sense if the person dislikes that food because the taste reminds them of fish.

Going back to the topic of conversation, if it is true that he dislikes the Amargasaurus and the aforomentioned companies for the same reason, then it would make sense for him to compare the two.

Reptilia

Again suspsy, you seem to not understanding when people express an opinion based on their taste. We can't know what this guy meant, we're speculating, but why can't he simply saying he's disappointed by the Papo model because it reminds him of Collecta and Safari, which he doesn't like? What's an accurate statement when it comes to personal taste? That's non-sense.

indominus

Woah, didn't mean to start up a whole conversation on what I did or didn't mean. All I am saying is that the Amargasaurus is not nearly as detailed as almost all other Papo figures, and that it looks more like a CollectA or Safari model than a Papo figurine.

Reptilia

Don't worry, it only happens when you mention certain companies without due respect, it may hurt some people's feelings!  :-X

Spoiler
I'm being sarcastic / ironic  8)
[close]

Ravonium

Quote from: indominus on December 16, 2017, 02:07:02 PM
Woah, didn't mean to start up a whole conversation on what I did or didn't mean. All I am saying is that the Amargasaurus is not nearly as detailed as almost all other Papo figures, and that it looks more like a CollectA or Safari model than a Papo figurine.

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for saying that you indeed meant that the Amargasaurus is more like a CollectA/Safari model in the sense that it is less detailed than a regular Papo.

Just a bit of advice: Here, many users prioritise accuracy to a good sculpt, which is why the misunderstanding happened and the conversation on what you meant started. Clarifying what you meant in your original post may have stopped the conversation (or at least, make the misunderstanding more obvious to whoever misunderstood).

Quote from: Reptilia on December 16, 2017, 02:16:48 PM
Don't worry, it only happens when you mention certain companies without due respect, it may hurt some people's feelings!  :-X

...And when you mention certain other companies with due respect, the exact same happens.

Spoiler

"I'm being sarcastic / ironic  8) "
So am I  8)
[close]

Jose S.M.

You can have both good sculpt and accuracy, Safari and CollectA have figures with both despite some people preference. Even Papo, who always had detail on their side, recently started to make accurate figures more often, their ceratopsians where accurate enough to gain praise even with little faults, last year theropods too. This amarga just looks out of place.

suspsy

Quote from: Reptilia on December 16, 2017, 02:00:39 PM
Again suspsy, you seem to not understanding when people express an opinion based on their taste. We can't know what this guy meant, we're speculating, but why can't he simply saying he's disappointed by the Papo model because it reminds him of Collecta and Safari, which he doesn't like? What's an accurate statement when it comes to personal taste? That's non-sense.

And what you're either failing or refusing to grasp is that the comparison doesn't work due to the simple, objective truth that attempting to disparage any dinosaur toy to one by CollectA or Safari (unless it's a really early one) is an inadvertent compliment. CollectA and Safari consistently rate very highly both in terms of sculpting and accuracy. Indeed, many of their toys arguably exceed Papo's in terms of detail. Again, that's a simple, objective truth, not a matter of personal taste.

Oh, and it's spelled "nonsense," not "non-sense."
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

I own a few Papo (likely more than I own of CollectA or [extinct] Safari ltd.) and they are definitely not more detailed. If they look more detailed that's just because they use more washes in their paint applications (and frankly they put a lot more effort into their stock photos). Additionally, some Papo figures detail (the Tyrannosaurus for example) is incredibly repetitive and distracting, and takes away from the overall appeal of the piece.

The problem stems from people comparing the Wild Safari dinosaurs that came out decades ago to Papo's that came out within the past few years because no box store stocks new Safari figures. If you actually compare up close a Papo to any Safari piece from the past three years or to one of the more detailed CollectA ones (such as the giant pterosaurs) the detail is comparable or better.

Rain

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 16, 2017, 03:21:28 PM
I own a few Papo (likely more than I own of CollectA or [extinct] Safari ltd.) and they are definitely not more detailed. If they look more detailed that's just because they use more washes in their paint applications (and frankly they put a lot more effort into their stock photos). Additionally, some Papo figures detail (the Tyrannosaurus for example) is incredibly repetitive and distracting, and takes away from the overall appeal of the piece.

The problem stems from people comparing the Wild Safari dinosaurs that came out decades ago to Papo's that came out within the past few years because no box store stocks new Safari figures. If you actually compare up close a Papo to any Safari piece from the past three years or to one of the more detailed CollectA ones (such as the giant pterosaurs) the detail is comparable or better.

I disagree, I love Safari and own a few CollectA but Papo is definitely far better with detailing, and yes I own the recent figures, including CollectA's Dimorphodon.

danmalcolm

I would say the same thing. Papo's dinosaurs have an incredible level of detail. Safari and CollectA make great models, but they look good for different reasons than the papos do. Papo is behind the two giants in a lot of ways, but detail is definitely not one of them.

spinosaurus1

i would agree with the posts above. as well done the safari and collecta figures are and certainly bare a fare share of qualities that papo figure lack, they are a far cry from the level of detail the papo presents into their models.

Ravonium

I agree with the posts above that say that CollectA and Safari Ltd models, as well done and accurate they are, rarely have the same levels of detail (especially paint-job detail) as Papo models.

Quote from: suspsy on December 16, 2017, 03:10:26 PM
And what you're either failing or refusing to grasp is that the comparison doesn't work due to the simple, objective truth that attempting to disparage any dinosaur toy to one by CollectA or Safari (unless it's a really early one) is an inadvertent compliment. CollectA and Safari consistently rate very highly both in terms of sculpting and accuracy. Indeed, many of their toys arguably exceed Papo's in terms of detail. Again, that's a simple, objective truth, not a matter of personal taste.

Oh, and it's spelled "nonsense," not "non-sense."

The fact you have now resorted to proclaiming that "CollectA and Safari can never be put in comparisons negatively" (with very little reasoning, apart from the most basic praise of the two companies you could think of) as truth tells me that this conversation ended before your most recent post.

Reptilia

Ok suspsy, you're right. Apologies for the spelling mistake, feel free to correct me anytime.

indominus

When did free speech become frowned upon in this forum? I was simply stating my opinion, which is quite clear that I prefer Papo figurines to CollectA or Safari models, but if someone disagrees with me (as some people obviously do) I accept it and move on. There is no need to berate people on what is right and what is wrong, everyone's opinion is different.

Shonisaurus

What I understand is that Safari, Collecta and Papo each have their own philosophy and recreational characteristics of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of their own.

Regarding Papo except for exceptions such as the mosaurus or plesiosaurus for example their figures are very detailed to the last centimeter.

On the other hand that is better or worse a company is speculative, in the sense that they are different sculptors, it is like saying that Michelangelo is better than Rodin or Bernini, each one has his own genius.

Faelrin

After watching many reviews on both Papo figures and Safari Ltd figures, I think Papo leads with the paint applications in more cases, in terms of the number of paints used, washes, that leads their paint schemes into seeming natural or believable/realistic, or more complex, etc. However I have yet to own any (I'm behind in this collecting thing, and just finished catching up with most of the Safari Ltd figures I wanted), so I can't judge how their paint quality control holds up. I do prefer the style of sculpting on many of the recent Safari Ltd figures. Scales look more like scales to me on the Safari Ltd ceratopsians for example, whereas I think Papo has lots of crosshatching and such for sculpted detail. Of course this is just subjective anyways with who likes what, and how our eyes and brains perceive or prefer the paint and/or sculpts. Accuracy is a whole different issue that I'm not going to touch because it's been done to death on the blog reviews of such figures. It really ultimately just comes down to what the individual prefers. I like both, and I still want to get some Papo models given the chance (aka money), the old Allosaurus and Dimetrodon being my top picks.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Quote from: indominus on December 16, 2017, 06:15:11 PM
When did free speech become frowned upon in this forum? I was simply stating my opinion, which is quite clear that I prefer Papo figurines to CollectA or Safari models, but if someone disagrees with me (as some people obviously do) I accept it and move on.
Have you been censored in any way? Or did someone disagree with you? If the answer is the latter, then it's not a problem with free speech. Yeah, people reacted to you, that's how it works, free speech goes both ways.

Quote from: indominus on December 16, 2017, 06:15:11 PM
There is no need to berate people on what is right and what is wrong, everyone's opinion is different.
Better stop having conversations with people then, just let say whatever they want and never challenge them. "The Earth's flat and vaccinations cause autism!" But that's just my opinion, no need to challenge it, just move on.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: