News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Why We Collect

Started by stemturtle, July 14, 2012, 12:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 16, 2012, 08:45:39 PM
Some take drugs :P.

That's what my mother always tells acquaintances when they learn of my collecting.  ;D

Gwangi

One could argue however that collecting for some people is not much different than taking drugs, and in some cases no better. I'm not saying that about anyone here of course, just speaking in general.

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Gwangi on July 16, 2012, 09:46:43 PM
One could argue however that collecting for some people is not much different than taking drugs, and in some cases no better. I'm not saying that about anyone here of course, just speaking in general.

Well, I think compared to most serious drug addicts, we don't dish out as much money, and our figures don't collapse our veins or burn holes through our brains. Seriously, have you ever (ahem) (ahem) for dinosaur figures? Didn't think so, haha.

Roselaar

Here's some advantages dinosaur figures have over drugs:

-They're generally cheaper
-They tend to be less frowned upon by others
-They're usually less illegal
-They stick around longer: drugs are always soon gone, while dinosaur figures can last a life time
-They're not as bad for the body, while the orgiastic feeling of finding one that's highly sought after is often nigh as intense
-They're easier to sell to others, especially to push on kids
-They're often easier to get your hands on, being openly available
-They look cooler

Now if only they took up less space. You can hide drugs in dinosaurs, but it's much harder to hide dinosaurs in drugs...

Gwangi

Quote from: Metallisuchus on July 17, 2012, 07:33:02 AM
Well, I think compared to most serious drug addicts, we don't dish out as much money, and our figures don't collapse our veins or burn holes through our brains. Seriously, have you ever (ahem) (ahem) for dinosaur figures? Didn't think so, haha.

Some of them cost quite a lot of money and while they don't kill us in a direct way I've seen some collectors who are so obsessed with their hobby that they alienate their family and fall into financial ruin which to me is not much better than killing yourself with drugs (I'm mostly talking about people on shows like Hoarders). As for the (ahem) (ahem) part, I'm not sure I wouldn't do that for an entire set of Battat dinosaurs but this is a family friendly site so we probably should keep it clean and skip on the details.  :))

Quote-They're generally cheaper
I dunno, I think there are some drugs that are probably cheaper than some toys.

Quote-They tend to be less frowned upon by others
Can't argue with that.

Quote-They're usually less illegal
You got me there too. There are some legal drugs though.

Quote-They stick around longer: drugs are always soon gone, while dinosaur figures can last a life time
They do stick around longer but if your anything like me your always wanting that next "fix". "Well I got that dinosaur finally, I think I'll go on eBay and see what I can get next."

Quote-They're not as bad for the body.
Maybe not physically...

Quote-They're easier to sell to others, especially to push on kids
Some kids really like drugs too.

Quote-They're often easier to get your hands on, being openly available
I don't think so. I think I could score most drugs quicker than I could a Sega Tyrannosaurus.

I'm starting to question where this thread has gone.  :-\

Roselaar

Okay Gwangi, we got your message: DON'T DO DINOSAURS, KIDS!!! ;)

Funny you should mention the Sega T-Rex as example, I got him easily and at little cost last week. Even though I live in the Netherlands, which, as y'all well know, is made of drugs. :) The grey one, that is. Or did you mean the red one?

Gwangi

Quote from: Roselaar on July 17, 2012, 10:41:28 PM
Okay Gwangi, we got your message: DON'T DO DINOSAURS, KIDS!!! ;)

Funny you should mention the Sega T-Rex as example, I got him easily and at little cost last week. Even though I live in the Netherlands, which, as y'all well know, is made of drugs. :) The grey one, that is. Or did you mean the red one?

I was talking about the red one but I have yet to see either of them available in the U.S., even on eBay. This thread is starting to remind me of that kids experimenting with paleontology picture someone posted the other day. Are your kids experimenting with paleontology? Know the signs. 

Roselaar

Okay, so the red Sega Rex is a drug I really need too but continues to elude me.

In general, I think it's fair to say for a lot of us collecting dinosaurs is addictive. I'm not proud of this, but I am what I am.

Gwangi

Quote from: Roselaar on July 18, 2012, 01:04:43 PM
Okay, so the red Sega Rex is a drug I really need too but continues to elude me.

In general, I think it's fair to say for a lot of us collecting dinosaurs is addictive. I'm not proud of this, but I am what I am.

Well...I think I'm addicted too, I guess that is why places like this exist. That said, I think I'll go see what I can find on eBay. There might be a Sega Tyrannosaurus on there RIGHT NOW!

postsaurischian

Quote from: Roselaar on July 18, 2012, 01:04:43 PM

I am proud of my collection ;D. I do think it's good for my health.

Like one of our older members named "fossil" (where is he?) on DTF V.1 once wrote: "I don't need any therapy, Dinosaurs are my therapy!"

Roselaar

So... you think these boards are meant as a support group for dinosaur addicts, or are they used by dinosaur dealers to push more of their product on us and exploit us? :)

Gwangi

Quote from: Roselaar on July 18, 2012, 02:40:21 PM
So... you think these boards are meant as a support group for dinosaur addicts, or are they used by dinosaur dealers to push more of their product on us and exploit us? :)

Support group, maybe. Exploitation? I wish! If that were the case we would have a feathered dromaeosaur from Papo, that would be the best way to exploit me at least.  >:D

Roselaar

Those exploiting us via this site may not have our best interest at heart (thus giving us what we want), but care more about their own pockets. :)

Gwangi

Quote from: Roselaar on July 18, 2012, 03:23:09 PM
Those exploiting us via this site may not have our best interest at heart (thus giving us what we want), but care more about their own pockets. :)

Well if they care about their pockets they're gonna have to give me what I want!  :))

amargasaurus cazaui

I was actually a bit surprised the sellers and dealers do not have their own thread , stating their policies, any appliccable discount levels, and somewhat identifying themselves and their services.One of my primary reasons for visiting the forum was in hopes of establishing a working relationship with a known dealer I might find trustworthy, fair and able to meet the demands for my collection. I am considering making a large batch purchase within the coming sixty days and hate going the ebay method, but the dealers here have not , to my own searching ability at least, placed themselves where they are easy to contact and spot.
  I have seen hints and what not of a few of them here, but given many here are new members and do not know or understand who they are....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stemturtle

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 18, 2012, 06:34:54 PM
I was actually a bit surprised the sellers and dealers do not have their own thread , stating their policies, any appliccable discount levels, and somewhat identifying themselves and their services.One of my primary reasons for visiting the forum was in hopes of establishing a working relationship with a known dealer I might find trustworthy, fair and able to meet the demands for my collection. I am considering making a large batch purchase within the coming sixty days and hate going the ebay method, but the dealers here have not , to my own searching ability at least, placed themselves where they are easy to contact and spot.
  I have seen hints and what not of a few of them here, but given many here are new members and do not know or understand who they are....

There was a thread on DTF v1 called On-Line Dinosaur Stores, where members wrote recommendations:
http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=classifieds&action=display&thread=4838

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

Himmapaan

I wonder if you may have accidentally posted in the wrong thread, Amargasaurus? :)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Himmapaan on July 18, 2012, 10:06:50 PM
I wonder if you may have accidentally posted in the wrong thread, Amargasaurus? :)
I think I posted the statement here thinking it fit better with the thread than anywhere else, but if there is a better place or should be its own thread lets take it there instead.The context of the previous discussion seemed to be about dinosaur dealers, but if you do not scroll back and read the entire thing, (previous pages)is easy to take at face value as I did.Please shuffle it where it fits better, I did not mean to divert the flow of course.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

Thanks for your response stemturtle, perhaps I can look over there and get some ideas. Appreciated.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on July 17, 2012, 09:54:23 PM
Quote from: Metallisuchus on July 17, 2012, 07:33:02 AM

Some of them cost quite a lot of money and while they don't kill us in a direct way I've seen some collectors who are so obsessed with their hobby that they alienate their family and fall into financial ruin which to me is not much better than killing yourself with drugs (I'm mostly talking about people on shows like Hoarders). As for the (ahem) (ahem) part, I'm not sure I wouldn't do that for an entire set of Battat dinosaurs but this is a family friendly site so we probably should keep it clean and skip on the details.  :))

Quote-They're generally cheaper
I dunno, I think there are some drugs that are probably cheaper than some toys.

Quote-They tend to be less frowned upon by others
Can't argue with that.

Quote-They're usually less illegal
You got me there too. There are some legal drugs though.

Quote-They stick around longer: drugs are always soon gone, while dinosaur figures can last a life time
They do stick around longer but if your anything like me your always wanting that next "fix". "Well I got that dinosaur finally, I think I'll go on eBay and see what I can get next."

Quote-They're not as bad for the body.
Maybe not physically...

Quote-They're easier to sell to others, especially to push on kids
Some kids really like drugs too.

Quote-They're often easier to get your hands on, being openly available
I don't think so. I think I could score most drugs quicker than I could a Sega Tyrannosaurus.

I'm starting to question where this thread has gone.  :-\
No offense, but what's your point? >:(

Are you trying to upset people by suggesting that they're no better than drug users?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: