News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrorchicken

I've noticed that Collecta has been updating many of their extant figures(this year we get a new common zebra, last year I think they redid the lions.) Hopefully this means they are planning to do the same with the older outdated standard dinosaurs. Though it may be that they are only redoing them as larger deluxe figures(like the styracosaurus and this new iguanodon.)

TheCambrianCrusader

Safari's releasing an assortment of mammals, schleich's releasing a dinogorgon, and collecta's releasing an estemmenosuchus all in the same year! I must be in paleo-heaven. (Also I'm kind of glad I've been putting off buying the jurassic park estemmenousuchus now)

suspsy

I wonder if the Estemmenosuchus and the Dunkleosteus are the only Paleozoic animals slated for 2018, or if there's one more yet to be revealed. Imagine a Deluxe Dimetrodon with an articulated jaw, an upright stance, and an updated sail.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Rathalosaurus

Oh, the new announcements are truly delightful! The Iguanodon is really nice.
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Faelrin

Quote from: suspsy on November 12, 2017, 04:37:00 PM
I wonder if the Estemmenosuchus and the Dunkleosteus are the only Paleozoic animals slated for 2018, or if there's one more yet to be revealed. Imagine a Deluxe Dimetrodon with an articulated jaw, an upright stance, and an updated sail.
I can only hope such a Dimetrodon would be made. If not this coming year, then I would hope it gets made for 2019.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Ravonium

Quote from: suspsy on November 12, 2017, 04:37:00 PM

I think there's probably going to be one more revealed. It might replace the prehistoric mammal that you predicted in an earlier post.

And yes, I think it will be Dimetrodon. While I'm confident that it will have an upright stance, I'm not 100% sure it will have a half sail. I heard somewhere that the half sail was a misinterpretation of a (at the time) 3-year old paper that basically said that the "half sail" was only a series of bony exposed spikes on top of the sail that were a few centimetres tall. Regardless of it does have a half sail, complete sail or a sail with bones just peaking out of it, I would still get it as long as it is a good model in all other aspects.

Takama

Delete post

Joey

Quote from: Takama on November 12, 2017, 07:18:03 PM
Delete post
In the video, he explains that the paper he read wasn't very clear, so it's not entirely his fault. He is however the one who popularized the half-sail theory and then it got debunked.

Takama

Quote from: JoeytheDeinocheirus on November 12, 2017, 07:21:42 PM
Quote from: Takama on November 12, 2017, 07:18:03 PM
Delete post
In the video, he explains that the paper he read wasn't very clear, so it's not entirely his fault. He is however the one who popularized the half-sail theory and then it got debunked.

This is why i wish there was a Delete post button still.

STS has a Delete post button. but its disabled whenever someone posts after the post you just posted.

I was trying to edit in the Video But Youtube was being a PITA and i could not get it to appear at the right time. so i wanted to say, forget it, and delete the post.  ::)

Shonisaurus

It is very adventurous for me to advance events but I think that in this year Collecta can focus on Paleozoic figures and omit those of the Cenozoic so they would not do as we have every year a prehistoric mammal or animal of the Cenozoic.

stargatedalek

The thing people don't take into account is that every Dimetrodon species has varying sails, some really do have wildly bent and warped spines a fair ways down, but some have full formed and elegant sails.

Shonisaurus

A dimetrodon would be a great figure, but in my case I almost prefer an edaphosaurus (it's very rare in the toy market), the only one I have is the Bullyland one and it's very small.   :D

tanystropheus

Edaphosaurus needs more love. Safari, CollectA (no funky, psychedelic colors!) or Papo (only the main sculptor please)?! REBOR?

Faelrin

Edaphosaurus is another creature that I'd love to see more figures of. The only one to my knowledge is that (I think) retired Bullyland one, which is okay, but probably hard to come by these days. Really I'm surprised there isn't more figures of this genus since it's basically the herbivorous counterpart to Dimetrodon (which is probably oversimplifying it, but still). In regards to the Dimetrodon sail, I'd like to see it done like Scott Hartman's skeletal, but even the conservative old style one is fine by me. +1 on different species having different sails too (which I think is awesome).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 12, 2017, 09:12:43 PM
A dimetrodon would be a great figure, but in my case I almost prefer an edaphosaurus (it's very rare in the toy market), the only one I have is the Bullyland one and it's very small.   :D
Quote from: tanystropheus on November 13, 2017, 05:19:36 AM
Edaphosaurus needs more love. Safari, CollectA (no funky, psychedelic colors!) or Papo (only the main sculptor please)?! REBOR?
Quote from: Faelrin on November 13, 2017, 06:07:04 AM
Edaphosaurus is another creature that I'd love to see more figures of. The only one to my knowledge is that (I think) retired Bullyland one, which is okay, but probably hard to come by these days. Really I'm surprised there isn't more figures of this genus since it's basically the herbivorous counterpart to Dimetrodon (which is probably oversimplifying it, but still). In regards to the Dimetrodon sail, I'd like to see it done like Scott Hartman's skeletal, but even the conservative old style one is fine by me. +1 on different species having different sails too (which I think is awesome).

I second (er, quadruple?) that motion! My Dimetrodon needs an Edaphosaurus to chase after! I'm making do with a cheap Marx/Invicta knockoff right now.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I'm happy with my Safari Dunkleosteus, but I'm hoping Collecta's release of it this year means they have an eye on producing large scale figure of some of the other critters in their Marine Life toob. Crossing my fingers for a 1:40 scale Leedsichthys and Archelon!!!  ;D

Shonisaurus

Leedsichthys and archelon would be figures that I would also like to reveal this year the company Collecta, even at the expense of prehistoric mammals of the Cenozoic as the one elasmotherium (is one of my favorite figures) along with an updated paraceratherium among the prehistoric animals that They are not dinosaurs.

Favorite archelon is nice but needs a partner. On the other hand the leedsichthys if it is as bright as its miniatures and the quality of dunkleosteus 2018 I give myself with a stone in the teeth. Collecta makes prehistoric fish very well finished and with designs based on the latest paleontological findings.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 13, 2017, 01:28:20 PM
I'm happy with my Safari Dunkleosteus, but I'm hoping Collecta's release of it this year means they have an eye on producing large scale figure of some of the other critters in their Marine Life toob. Crossing my fingers for a 1:40 scale Leedsichthys and Archelon!!!  ;D
It would be super awesome if they did release a 1:4o scale Leedsichthys! I would not be surprised if they make 2018 year of the fish ;)
Still hoping for a nice, large sauropod :)

Joey

Quote from: Bokisaurus on November 13, 2017, 06:33:08 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 13, 2017, 01:28:20 PM
It would be super awesome if they did release a 1:4o scale Leedsichthys! I would not be surprised if they make 2018 year of the fish ;)
Still hoping for a nice, large sauropod :)
Yes, like a updated 1:40 scale Brachiosaurus!!

Appalachiosaurus

YES! FINALLY! I have been waiting so long for a mass market Estemmenosuchus (besides kenner), and in 1:20 no less! Collecta once again reaffirms itself as the company willing to make risks and bring us permian enthusiasts some love!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: