News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Takama on November 24, 2017, 01:30:11 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on November 24, 2017, 01:28:22 AM
Honestly I saw it coming that the deluxe feathered rex wasn't long for the world, they wouldn't have made a smaller one so quickly unless they thought something about that particular figure wasn't selling (size, pose, etc.).

Maybe its the Fact that its Featherd?
That was my initial thought today, but then I remembered the smaller version being released and suspecting this might happen at the time. If it had sold poorly and they believed it was the feathers I don't think they would have continued making feathered Tyrannosaurs let alone another two Tyrannosaurus (including the corpse).

Flaffy

That's rather... disappointing.
Can't believe something like the hideous lump of plastic that is the CollectA baby rex (along with the rest of the old rexes) are not retired, while the deluxe feathered rex and swimming spinosaurus is retired only after a few years.
I kinda hoped for another prehistoric themed boxset or at least more new mini prehistorics, oh well, can't have everything I guess. Still annoyed that the AR line exists, and it doesn't even have new figures to offer.

stargatedalek

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on November 24, 2017, 02:47:44 AM
Can't believe something like the hideous lump of plastic that is the CollectA baby rex (along with the rest of the old rexes) are not retired, while the deluxe feathered rex and swimming spinosaurus is retired only after a few years.
I kinda hoped for another prehistoric themed boxset or at least more new mini prehistorics, oh well, can't have everything I guess. Still annoyed that the AR line exists, and it doesn't even have new figures to offer.
AR?

Faelrin

Well that's rather disappointing that they are being retired so soon. I wonder why. I was still debating on getting the CollectA Deluxe Feathered T. rex too, mostly because of my precious limited space. I might ultimately need to just let it go in the end now. Same goes for the Swimming Spinosaurus. While I'm still not fully sold on the proportions, it was still a rather charming new take on this prehistoric animal, especially in regards to the pose.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Albertosaurus on November 23, 2017, 11:43:51 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 23, 2017, 10:47:38 PM
My opinion that the American brand Safari has made so many figures compared to the British Collecta or the French Papo may be due to the following factors from my humble point of view.

I also believe, this is just an opinion that the US is in a better economic situation than France and Britain for whatever reasons and that is why they reveal more figures of prehistoric animals per year.

That economic bonanza translates into more toy animals, it's just an opinion.

Regardless of that point, it may also be that, unfortunately, Collecta and Papo do not have the desired economic results globally. Keep in mind that a considerable part of buyers are children and the Schleich brand is more affordable and lately they are doing quite good models, in terms of commercial competition are diminished to the potential of media Schleich.

On the other hand, Safari, only sold in the US (the third largest population in the world surpassed only by China and India) has buyers of surplus in their nation, a situation that does not happen with Collecta or Papo.

Apart from that, the US is a nation whose inhabitants are mostly very aware of paleontology about dinosaurs and prehistoric animals and therefore they are interested in buying prehistoric animal figures more than European nations and I think that is due to the wealth of their paleontological deposits of almost all geological epochs, (in which they can only compete in equal way to equal China and Mongolia). In Europe except Britain for historical reasons was very censored the subject of paleontology, in fact in Spain there is a considerable part of the population that believe they coexisted with humans, according to a book I read in Spanish for example " science of dinosaurs "by Jaime Mora Cuadrado, I even have friends and educated who believe that dinosaurs is an invention.

A trader for example who commented years ago that many adults think that the mammoth primigenius  still exists and confuse it with the elephant. Although they are minor points, the truth is that in Europe there is no interest in dinosaurs and prehistoric life as pronounced as in the US or China.

Apart from that, the molds with which they create their pieces are very expensive and if they are not amortized with the sales in a successful way, they slow down their sales both in the wholesale market, in the retailer and in the online stores.

Papo makes very beautiful models and very well finished independently of being many figures not paleontologically correct but they are too expensive figures and few people can afford that luxury.

Collecta embarked on doing many figures of prehistoric animals in particular Anthony Besson excessively and most importantly risking a lot in dark models, (which I applaud) but that is a risk that unfortunately ends many times paying with low consumption by part of the buyers.

I appreciate your analysis of the current state of the dinosaur toy market in the world but that thing you just said about spanish population thinking that human kind coexisted with dinosaurs or that dinosaurs are not real is just bullshit, nonsense and plainly offensive. Spain is a modern, advanced country, not a medieval town... Me resulta increible que seas español y pintes a tu pais como una manada de borregos incultos y atrasados cuando tenemos una de las comunidades cientificas mas brillantes de europa...

Absolutely not esteemed Albertosaurus I want to offend my beloved homeland Spain but that's what the author says Jaime Mora Cuadrado on his page 303, says the following,
"This paleontological incongruity has allowed some people with a poorly developed scientific culture (so to speak) to believe that men can hunt dinosaurs, specifically, 30% of the Spanish population. According to the Survey of Social Perception of Science of the year 2015, almost a third of Spaniards thought that humans and dinosaurs coexisted at a moment in the history of the Earth, and the thing was not there: according to the same study, a quarter of the population believed that the Sun revolved around of teh Earth This demonstrates the need for scientific education in today's society, and not only among children and adolescents. " [extracted literally from Jaime Mora Cuadrado's book "The Science of Dinosaurs in 100 Questions" on page 303]. Publication date of the book September 2017.

At least that is what this author, born in 1981, says. Bachelor of Geological Sciences and Master in Paleontology from the Complutense University of Madrid says in the book. On the other hand, a friend of mine, a computer engineer and a man of the world, when he saw my collection of dinosaurs told me verbatim "if they had really existed". As for the mammoth primigenius, it is an assertion that a merchant did to me in 2012 and that surprised me apart from that that same toy merchant said that he could not believe that there had been as many dinosaurs as those that commercialize the toy brands ".

On the other hand, my co-workers do not believe that the dinosaurs existed when I told them about it.

What I say as you see I do not invent it, I base it on what I have read in the book, and on testimonies of well-known people who have no news of dinosaurs and some cultured.

This does not mean that in Spain it is one of the most cultured nations in the world and that there are numerous paleontological sites such as Las Hoyas in Cuenca and fabulous paleontologists such as José Luis Sanz, which for my fortune I know personally.

How am I going to pretend to throw stones at my roof? To Spain, who is my nation and whom I love as a second mother? I am sorry to have offended you, it was not my intention and I have only based this on what I have read in the book reviewed in the first paragraph and whose text I have reproduced in its entirety, and in testimonies of acquaintances (real) of people who despite their Bright professional knowledge and being excellent people are ignorant when it comes to paleontology. And it is more that will happen in greater and smaller measure in the rest of the nations of the world.

I say this as a member of the forum, I am sorry to have offended you and I apologize, but I follow what I read about a person and I hear from knowledgeable people. Do not take it to me to bad, what I have commented to you I do not invent it as I have already reviewed in this writing. I did not invent anything of what I said. Whether it is true or not what the book says is another matter, but my statements are based on documented data.

Flaffy

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 24, 2017, 04:00:33 AM
Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on November 24, 2017, 02:47:44 AM
AR?
The scammy lazy blind pack line with the exact same mini dinosaurs (and prehistoric reptiles) as the boxset. Also includes the digital app gimmick.

alexeratops

Good news, they finally got rid of the infamous Eustreptospondylus... but the Rex and Spino? What gives?
like a bantha!

Takama

I am sad to see that there infamous Tsitaosaurus is among them.      That was one of there best figures to laugh at.

Ravonium

Quote from: Takama on November 23, 2017, 11:55:54 PM
Well A lot of Crap from CollectAs old days is finally getting axed from Production

Dinosaurs & Prehistoric

Eustreptospondylus - 88060
Dracorex - 88252
Becklespinax -88221
Nigersaurus (delux 1:20) - 88308
Paraceratherium deluxe - 88313
Chasmosaurus - 88316
Megalosaurus  - 88317
Achelousaurus - 88355
Tsingtaosaurus - 88373
Edmontonia - 88388
Rhomaleosaurus - 88440
Bistahieversor - 88676
Spinosaurus swimming - 88738
Feathered Tyranosaurus (deluxe 1:20) - 88717

Sadly, so are a few gems as well :o :'(

I'm glad they're at least acknowledging that most of the models they're axing are awful and I get why they're axing two of the feathered tyrannosaurs. This being said, I don't get why they're axing the swimming Spinosaurus.

I agree with those on the forum who are angry that the AR line exists. Personally, I think that it's a cash grab on the new trend of apps with augmented reality that won't last long in stores. Most of the models that are simulated aren't even amongst their best models. And then there's the fact that none of the figures are exclusive to the AR line and that the figures are completely unecessary for the AR to work.

Joey

Everything Dinosaur blog has revealed 3 last Collecta 2018 models, which include:
Brontosaurus
Mapusaurus (the giganotosaurini)
And a new 1:40 scale Tyrannosaurus

Takama

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2017/11/24/new-collecta-models-2018-part-4-of-4.html

Honestly, that T.Rex is a Downgrade from the Featherd one. and thats not because it has less feathers.       This figure will have trouble standing.  Im certain it will.   There Old Deinonchirus never stood right,  what makes them think this one will?

Everything_Dinosaur

News about the last of the 2018 model releases from CollectA including model measurements.  A Brontosaurus with dermal osteoderms, a roaring T. rex with reduced plumage and a Deluxe Mapusaurus (Giganotosaurini).

Our blog article with pictures is here: New from CollectA 2018 Part 4

Joey

In my opinion, the Tyrannosaurus is a downgrade as forum member Takama mentioned. Not only will it not be able to stand, but accuracy wise, it's far worse. Only having minimal feathering running down it's spine. The pose is also reminiscent of the Favorite Tarbosaurus.

Ravonium

Was just about to post that.

Anyways, here are my opinions on these models.

Brontosaurus: This is a model that has been demanded from companies ever since a study proved that Brontosaurus was indeed a separate genus from Apatosaurus. I have no criticisms of this model, and it does finally give us a new sauropod, which is what at least one forum member wanted from CollectA:
Scale: 1:72 for a 22 meter long individual.

Deluxe T-rex: This model appears to be based on that highly disputed study about how feathered T-rex was. This being said, if you ignore the feathers, this model is better anatomically than the last Feathered T-rex (the tail is the correct length and the model appears to have gastralium bones taken into account). Also there's no base, although this might cause standing difficulties. This doesn't mean I like this figure, as the color scheme doesn't work on this model.
Scale: 1:36 based on the largest specimen of T-rex ever found.

Deluxe Mapusaurus: Finally, there's a deluxe counterpart to the mediocre standard Mapusaurus. This is the best carcharodontosaurid they've made yet. It hasn't got overly large hips and it actually has the color scheme to be expected from a predator (unlike the Standard Mapusaurus). This is the only one from this lineup that I'm definetely getting.
Scale: 1:41 based on a 13m specimen.

Loon

I love that brontosaurus, also, something about the combination of colors on Collected feathered T. rexes has always been unappealing.

Neosodon

Yes Brontosaurus finally! Nice size too. Well now we got an up to date T. rex. :) The first partially feathered dinosaur in their line. To bad they couldn't come up with an original color scheme though. The way the green is just slopped on to the neck despite there being no feathers there looks pretty lame. But it's better than the old one in about every way except for the fact that it doesn't have a base. The Mapusaurus is a nice improvment over the obese mega hips Cacarodontosaurus. Nice to see collecta still working to improve their therapods.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Flaffy

Well this is a pleasant surprise! I got the impression that the previous reveal was the last one. Apologies for the misinformation  :-[

Brontosaurus: Finally a brontosaurus, and another marvelous sauropod by CollectA. Can't wait to add this to my 2018 "to buy" list. Since they were going for a full on spiky look to the animal, it's a shame they didn't incorporate some speculative neck spikes like Apatosaurus. 

Tyrannosaurus: Eh... another one? Did we really need another Tyrannosaurus from CollectA? Well this explains why the fully feathered deluxe one was retired. The colours don't convince me one bit. I see that they tried to add large scales on the face proposed by the Daspletosaurus horni paper, but I'd much rather they made a Daspletosaurus rather than a goofy looking rex. Easy easy easy pass.

Mapusaurus: Mystery solved, Papo's pathetic lineup next year will not be saved by a Giganotosaurus.
CollectA's previous Mapusaurus was an eyesore, this remake was very much needed. Would've preferred more heft to the beast, and something seems off about the overall proportions on this one. Might pick it up much further down the road, but with all the other fantastic releases from CollectA and Safari, I think my wallet has had enough of a beating.

The problem I have with many of this year's deluxe releases are the colour schemes,they are either boring and drab like the Sciurumimus, Dunkleosteus and Brontosaurus (they could've done so much more with the Bronto) or just sloppy and lazy like the Dimetrodon, Estemmenosuchus and Tyrannosaurus. Really hope CollectA will step up their game in the paint department.

Dyscrasia

Images from Everything Dinosaur's blog

Brontosaurus

Length a fraction under 30.5 cm long with a height of just over 10.5 cm

Tyrannosaurus rex

Length just over 34 cm long with a maximum height of just under 16.5 cm

Mapusaurus

Length 32 cm long with a height of 12.5 cm

ITdactyl

I'm just happy with that brontosaurus.  Finally....

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on November 24, 2017, 08:57:08 AM
Well this is a pleasant surprise! I got the impression that the previous reveal was the last one.

Brontosaurus: Finally a brontosaurus, and another marvelous sauropod by CollectA. Can't wait to add this to my 2018 "to buy" list. Since they were going for a full on spiky look to the animal, it's a shame they didn't incorporate some speculative neck spikes like Apatosaurus. 

Tyrannosaurus: Eh... another one? Did we really need another Tyrannosaurus from CollectA? Well this explains why the fully feathered deluxe one was retired. The colours don't convince me one bit. I see that they tried to add large scales on the face proposed by the Daspletosaurus horni paper, but I'd much rather they made a Daspletosaurus rather than a goofy looking rex. Easy easy easy pass.

Mapusaurus: Mystery solved, Papo's pathetic lineup next year will not be saved by a Giganotosaurus.
CollectA's previous Mapusaurus was an eyesore, this remake was very much needed. Would've preferred more heft to the beast, and something seems off about the overall proportions on this one. Might pick it up much further down the road, but with all the other fantastic releases from CollectA and Safari, I think my wallet has had enough of a beating.

The problem I have with many of this year's deluxe releases are the colour schemes,they are either boring and drab like the Sciurumimus, Dunkleosteus and Brontosaurus (they could've done so much more with the Bronto) or just sloppy and lazy like the Dimetrodon, Estemmenosuchus and Tyrannosaurus. Really hope CollectA will step up their game in the paint department.

What giga? We literally have a rather dissatisfied 2018 line up for papo its just bad.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: