News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

My review is going up tomorrow and I can already tell some people are not gonna like it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tanystropheus

Quote from: terrorchicken on July 18, 2018, 09:37:22 PM
maybe they went cheap on the Estemmeno b/c they think it will be a slower seller being a lesser known prehistoric  animal? :\

I dont understand how they could have imagined that the Estemmeno would be a slow burn. Even with its crappy paint job, and lackluster happy meal textures, it still ranks very high on my "to buy" list.

Sim

maybe they went cheap on the Estemmeno b/c they think it will be a slower seller being a lesser known prehistoric  animal? :\

I don't think so, to me it looks typical for a CollectA prehistoric figure.  Of the features of the CollectA Estemmenosuchus people have been expressing dislike for...  The same type of skin texture appears to be present on CollectA's Kronosaurus, and dislike for CollectA's colour choices has been expressed many times before for their prehistoric figures, including the Ceratosaurus.  I think Kronosaurus and Ceratosaurus are among the more widely known prehistoric animals.

Faelrin

To be honest, I'm just glad there is a mass produced Estemmenosuchus figure at all, regardless if it could have been better in some ways. Other then say Dimetrodon, and now Dunkleosteus, there aren't too many figures made of Paleozoic genera at all, at least not from the major toy animal model companies these days.

Also I'm curious. Has anyone posted a pic of it with the CollectA Dunkleosteus (and maybe their new Dimetrodon)? Aren't they supposed to be in the same scale? Maybe next year I can hopefully get the chance at getting this figure and the Dunkleosteus too (if Mattel and the Ceratopsian kickstarter don't make me go broke next year for collecting).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bokisaurus

Wow, so much hate for this figure :-[
I completely respect peoples personal taste, and I can see that the color choice on this figure is not as exciting as it could be. Otherwise, it really is a great figure. There are lots of details on it that the paint ap simply did not bring out, and no photos can capture such delicate details no matter how well you photograph it.
It is sad to see that the comments have, it seems to me, reach a level where it is no longer productive. To me it seems that there is a determination by those who don't like the figure, to really take it down, discredit it, and to discourage as many potential buyer as possible.
You can state that you don't like the figure, it's color, it's detail, etc. and still be respectful. Instead more and more insulting comments are piling up. Those who have purchased the figure who were disappointed, well at least you supported the effort to bring this species into the toy world. Those who have not, don't even intend , and have not seen it even in person, it really is an unfair criticism.

This species have been in the forums top Wish and dream year after year. And yet, none of the major brand produced it year after year. Finally, CollectA step up and give us a nice and large figure, and still it is enough, and all it gets is tons of very nasty and negative comments from those who don't like it.
This kind of unproductive, insulting criticism will only discourage CollectA to move forward with other animals from this deep prehistoric past, and that will be very sad and a great loss.

Very few defend CollectA. It seems like those who have been vocal about their support are often accused of being somehow associated with them. I am talking about personal experience. I have been a great fan of CollectA from the beginning, and have this type of accusations thrown at me way back in the old forum, it actually reached a point one time that I took a long break from the forum.
So, be respectful and be productive in your comments.
I'm just grateful that, finally, some interesting species are being produced. Cheers!

@ Faelrin - here you go. ;D
[]

terrorchicken

Quote from: Sim on July 19, 2018, 12:41:41 AM

I don't think so, to me it looks typical for a CollectA prehistoric figure.  Of the features of the CollectA Estemmenosuchus people have been expressing dislike for...  The same type of skin texture appears to be present on CollectA's Kronosaurus, and dislike for CollectA's colour choices has been expressed many times before for their prehistoric figures, including the Ceratosaurus.  I think Kronosaurus and Ceratosaurus are among the more widely known prehistoric animals.

true...theres also the high attention/quality of their antelope figures yet majority of those species are unfamiliar to kids/parents.

I do like the estemmeno figure sculpt but the commando coloring is awful, really makes it look worse than it is. Same with the dimetrodon.

Shonisaurus

Totally agree with you Bokisaurus. There is a criticism from the forum to the Estemmenosuchus of Collecta and the dimetrodon from Collecta for its colors and finish. Honestly, both the esteemmenoschus of Collecta and the dimetrodon of the same brand are two of my favorite figures on behalf of that company as is the ceratosaurus, feathered tyrannosaurus rex of Collecta 2018 and iguanodon.

I am eternally grateful to the Collecta brand of life that makes unprecedented or almost unprecedented prehistoric animal figures in the toy market. On the other hand both the estemmenosuchus and the dimetrodon of Collecta their criticisms would vary positively if they changed the color of the figure. Sincerely with atrocious and unfair criticism we are discouraging the different brands to make new products.

In regard to Collecta is one of my favorite brands as it is also Safari among other companies and on the other hand it is very difficult that a toy figure in this case of PVC has no imperfections, the vast majority of resin figures are better that the figures of PVC or vinyl but we must point out that resin figures are not toys are figures for experienced collectors and that they have a high purchasing power that not everyone can access especially those who are humble people economically.

The figures of PVC do not stop being toys destined for leisure and recreation for children without that it also means that they are fabulous for collectors, for my misfortune I do not have the purchasing power nor the adequate housing to buy resin figures (if for me depend and have money I would have already bought) but I must point out that many figures of Collecta do not have to envy resin figures such as dunkleosteus, dimorphodon, deinotherium, andrewsarchus, feathered tyrannosaurus rex old model, ceratosaurus or the iguanodon and styracosaurus last models among other figures of Collecta and I fall short.

I understand that many members of DTF do not agree with my proposals but sincerely the figures of Collecta are among the best in the market. On the other hand the stemmenosuchus of Collecta was for me a highly expected figure as it was at the time the uintatherium and the megacerops (the latter is another figure that does not have to envy a resin) and my sincere and direct opinion that the estemmenosuchus is the one I've always liked to have regardless of their colors are not appropriate and without a doubt the resin models of such figure in pages as urzeitshop.de or dansdinosaurs.com are superior but you have to take into account that a painting More detailed would mean much more costs for the company and the same goes for the details that both DTF members demand.

Sincerely, they are highly scientific models and we should value the effort and dedication that this company has with its client buyers. I understand the criticisms within my scientific ignorance but I do not share them. His figures are of honor registration as I say in its immense majority.

For example, a figure that I do not like even though it has changed favorably since its prototype was published at the end of last year was Collecta's gomphotherium. It is not a well-represented species in the toy market, it is totally different. deinotherium de Collecta 2013 whose figure is luxury for its details and realism.

The estemmenosuchus seems to me an outstanding figure and what perhaps spoils his painting and I sincerely like both the sculpture and the painting of Collecta's ceratosaurus which is a figure of honor plate only surpassed by his feathered tyrannosaurus rex from Collecta 2018.

As much of the estemmesuchus as of the dimetrodon of Collecta it is necessary to value the content (details, sculpture paleoartística work from the scientific point of view) before the continent (painting).

Ravonium

Quote from: Faelrin on July 19, 2018, 02:00:01 AM
To be honest, I'm just glad there is a mass produced Estemmenosuchus figure at all, regardless if it could have been better in some ways.

I agree. The reason why I wasn't that harsh with it in my response to the initial stock image, compared to now, is because this figure is, despite having some pretty obvious flaws, it isn't anymore flawed than most CollectA models, including some I have in my collection.

Ultimately, it is still one of my most prioritised purchases from CollectA's 2018 lineup.

Shonisaurus

The figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals are good (well finished and scientifically correct), beautiful (they are attractive for children and adults) and cheap (there are other PVC companies that due to their greater finish and because they are inaccessible, their prices are unaffordable for many people, regardless of their genius).

I sincerely am very happy with Collecta and for me it is a gift of Life that they are in the toy market like the rest of the companies. Honestly to a greater or lesser extent all the members of the forum complain about vice, they have never made resin, vinyl or PVC figures as perfect as the current ones.

If we go back forty years ago (for most a very long period of time but for others like me not so much) if you asked in a store if they had prehistoric animals they took you for a weird person and I do not exaggerate. Sincerely, times have changed for the better.

You should stop seeing the glass half empty and look at the glass half full with respect to the past.

We are living in the "Golden Century" of dinosaur companies and prehistoric toy animals (vinyl, PVC) and collecting (resin).

Sincerely and I say with all the respect of the world to all the members of the forum I think we are badly used. He has never made more prehistoric animals varied from the paleoartistic point as now and so perfect.

tanystropheus

The Estemmenosuchus falls in the same category as the Papo Amarga. We all had extremely high hopes for the models. CollectA should have nailed the Estemme but now the door is open for another company to make a better model (e.g. Mattel or Papo). It's not that the model is bad nor will I discourage people from buying it. It's definitely one of my high priority CollectA toys, especially considering the rarity of the species.

Faelrin

B @Bokisaurus Thanks for that picture! Seems like they size up okay next to each other too. I totally agree with your post too.

Also I honestly hope they make more Paleozoic creatures in the future. If they were bold enough to make an Estemmenosuchus, and two others (even though popular) in the same year I can only hope they'll do more such as Diplocaulus, Moschops, Tiktaalik, etc. I mean if not them, then hopefully some other company.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 19, 2018, 06:43:16 PM
Wow, so much hate for this figure :-[
I completely respect peoples personal taste, and I can see that the color choice on this figure is not as exciting as it could be. Otherwise, it really is a great figure. There are lots of details on it that the paint ap simply did not bring out, and no photos can capture such delicate details no matter how well you photograph it.
It is sad to see that the comments have, it seems to me, reach a level where it is no longer productive. To me it seems that there is a determination by those who don't like the figure, to really take it down, discredit it, and to discourage as many potential buyer as possible.
You can state that you don't like the figure, it's color, it's detail, etc. and still be respectful. Instead more and more insulting comments are piling up. Those who have purchased the figure who were disappointed, well at least you supported the effort to bring this species into the toy world. Those who have not, don't even intend , and have not seen it even in person, it really is an unfair criticism.

This species have been in the forums top Wish and dream year after year. And yet, none of the major brand produced it year after year. Finally, CollectA step up and give us a nice and large figure, and still it is enough, and all it gets is tons of very nasty and negative comments from those who don't like it.
This kind of unproductive, insulting criticism will only discourage CollectA to move forward with other animals from this deep prehistoric past, and that will be very sad and a great loss.

Very few defend CollectA. It seems like those who have been vocal about their support are often accused of being somehow associated with them. I am talking about personal experience. I have been a great fan of CollectA from the beginning, and have this type of accusations thrown at me way back in the old forum, it actually reached a point one time that I took a long break from the forum.
So, be respectful and be productive in your comments.
I'm just grateful that, finally, some interesting species are being produced. Cheers!

Couldn't have put it better, Bokisaurus. 100% agreement.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

PhilSauria

Yeah, well put Boki. Thanks for making a case in favor of this one to balance out the responses so far. I have this one on order and look forward to having it in hand. Agree with all of your comments in regard to it.

John

I very much agree with you Boki.
I don't mind anyone having a different opinion from my own.That is a right everyone is entitled to.
What really gets under my skin is the notion that somehow if I had not seen a model in person,then that invalidates my opinion.Tactics like that (such as the insinuation that the only way anyone could like something is if it's sent free of charge by the company in exchange for a positive review) are not something anyone on the receiving end as I have been will ever appreciate.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

suspsy

Quote from: John on July 20, 2018, 12:04:35 AM
Tactics like that (such as the insinuation that the only way anyone could like something is if it's sent free of charge by the company in exchange for a positive review) are not something anyone on the receiving end as I have been will ever appreciate.

Yes, I'm afraid I've lost respect for at least one person here after seeing that ungracious comment. For the record, I have indeed received a number of review samples from CollectA since 2015, but the Estemmenosuchus is not one of them.

SidB

If its any consolation, we have lived in a highly politicized age for some time now. What do i mean? When one disagrees with someone's stance or considered opinion, for some, it's not enough to disagree (nothing wrong with good, honest debate). Rather, some, given over to extremist tendencies, feel the need to smear their opponents (e.g., accusing them of giving favorable reviews in return for donated items). They simply must portray them as BAD people.  However, it's obvious that the overwhelming majority of DTB and DTF participants will have nothing to do with such attitudes. At the end of the day the underhanded accuser generally ends up with egg on the face. We know and appreciate both the objectivity and passion of our reviewers, giving them enough leeway to do their task. A quick look at some of the reviews under question will confirm that the reviewer(s) are balanced in their assessment(s).

Sim

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 19, 2018, 06:43:16 PM

I feel your post considers only one side though, negative comments towards CollectA figures or people who appreciate particular CollectA figures.  Negative comments have also been made at people for expressing reasonable criticism of particular CollectA figures.  In the past I've been on the receiving end of abusive posts after expressing reasonable criticisms of certain CollectA figures.  Those posts did make me feel upset, and the last time it happened I considered not coming back to this forum.

suspsy

I see no such abuse currently being directed at you whatsoever, Sim, so I fail to see why you are attempting to portray yourself as a victim here. I also fail to see how one wrong somehow excuses another. I believe the correct term for that is 'whataboutism.'

tanystropheus

Well, err....CollectA certainly has a dedicated following. There's no doubt about that.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: suspsy on July 20, 2018, 12:13:09 AM
Yes, I'm afraid I've lost respect for at least one person here after seeing that ungracious comment. For the record, I have indeed received a number of review samples from CollectA since 2015, but the Estemmenosuchus is not one of them.

Hello suspy,

If you're talking about me, you've not lost my respect at all.
As I wrote before, lots of DTF members here are taking this thing way too seriously.
My opinion is that the model we're talking about could be far better than it is.
Your opinion is different.
That's all.
I respect your point of view and, please, also you have to respect mine.
Please, see your reply #742 (your first words).
Probably it wasn't the best way to enter into a discussion between 2 people.
See also your reply #745 to another member.
My comment about free samples was ironic because usually reviewers are extremely positive about free produtcs trying to convince other people that they are wrong if they think differently.
If it's not your case, well, it's good for you.
We're talking about toys not nuclear weapons: why be so rigid ?
I hope I was clear enough about that.

Instead I'm totally certain that people can judge a three-dimensional, sculpted and hand painted figure only if he/she has it in front of his/her eyes.
Pictures are not enough (and my job is photographer so I shouldn't say that but it's true..).
Otherwise it's like judging Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings by book's illustrations only or judging a car without driving it..

Really really sorry for my OT.
I won't return on that discussion again in the future.

Best Regards
^-^

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: