You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Company spec comparison for new collector

Started by PigeonNZ, November 14, 2017, 08:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PigeonNZ

Hi guys,

I'm just looking to start my collection and doing a lot of background research before I order anything. In New Zealand there's not much available in stores so I think I'll need to order most things online which makes it hard to know how they will compare in person. The main thing I'm struggling to find is how the company's product weights compare??? In stores here we have Schleich which has a much nicer solid weight than the other, cheaper brands I've come across including Safari. However in research so far it looks like I'll need to get a mix of brands. I like the detailed look and paint on the Papo ones I've seen online.. are these similar in weight? I would really like a cohesive looking and feeling collection.

Also, ideally I'd like to stick to about similar size ratios (I have seen that this method has it's own complications).

Lastly I have a 2 year old daughter who loves these and is my justification for the money spent so they need to be hardy enough to be played with.

If there's already a thread somewhere doing a company spec comparison please let me know as I couldn't find anything quite right. I want something that tells me the following specs and info for each company where relevant:

General weight
General robustness for play
Accuracy
Size ratios commonly offered
'Realistic' looking colours (I get we don't know colours but you know what I mean hopefully :))
Detail on paint and wrinkles etc
Precision of paint job
Costs

Thanks for any and all help!  :) I know my request comes with its own problems as figures produced within company's vary also...

RobinGoodfellow

..answering to your question would require a very long discussion about each individual company  (there are a lot) and about different lines of figures.
I could suggest to browse into my Flickr Albums (with high resolution pictures) and look at different models available.
And if you'll see something interesting, eventually we could talk about technical specs.
Your question is actually too wide.

I always use a reference in my pictures.
It's a human figure at 1:40 (4,5 cm / 1,7" ) so you can almost judge the height of a model.
Here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/collections/72157658671922655/

I hope it will help.

:)

PigeonNZ

Thanks RobinGoodfellow! I'll have a look through your account and have a think :).

Are you able to give me any info specifically relating to my question about the weight? (This is what I'm having most trouble researching). I'd like to rule out product lines that feel significantly lighter than the feel of the schleich ones I experienced in a store but it's impossible for me to know what the other lines are like :s. I also don't want to order purely based on heavy ones and find they are too delicate for play and meant for display only 😬. Would appreciate any thoughts at all on this

Faelrin

Safari Ltd and CollectA tend to strive for scientific accuracy as of late. Both companies have been upping the game on detail when it comes to their sculpts. Most Safari figures are on the small size, but their Feathered Tyrannosaurus is pretty big and hefty. Safari LTD also tends to have some paint quality control issues at times (like sloppily painted mouth areas), so also keep that in mind if that bugs you. Some CollectA models have bases, so if that effects play-ability or anything else, keep that in mind. Papo has good detail in their sculpts, and in some cases they can have paint jobs that tend to look realistic (the Kaprosuchus comes to mind). Most Papo carnivores have articulated jaws, so if you intend to go with any of them, make sure your child knows better not to squeeze those jaws on their fingers. Schleich is probably the furthest from having accurate figures, although they also offer figures with articulated jaws. So does some of CollectA's Deluxe figures. The weight thing is probably the hardest to answer, since every individual figure is going to be sized differently, and thus weigh differently. Though I'm sure the material used will effect the weight of the figures, but I really don't know the specifics of that particular thing.

That's probably the best that I can sum up these companies, but honestly you are going to need to look at the figures they offer and see what you want to get. I'd suggest watching reviews on youtube too. Many channels measure their figures and compare them with other figures. Also check out the blog's Contents page (or any of the company pages, or genus pages) for an overview of the figures that have been reviewed so far.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Safari Ltd, CollectA, Schleich, and Papo all use very similar materials (PVC, maybe with minor variations in composition and density). So, adjusting for dimensions, they should all have roughly the same weight. Schleich and Papo are a little larger on average than Safari, and hence heavier in raw terms, but Safari has plenty of hefty models (the feathered Tyrannosaurus, Kronosaurus, Diplodocus, etc, are all plenty bulky). CollectA has two size ranges: the standard figures are mostly smaller, even a little smaller than Safari, but their Deluxe figures are large, probably about a pound on average. All four brands are reasonably sturdy and will stand up to most play. I don't know if that answers your question, but that's my best answer as I understood it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

Quote from: PigeonNZ on November 14, 2017, 08:23:42 PM
General weight
General robustness for play
Accuracy
Size ratios commonly offered
'Realistic' looking colours (I get we don't know colours but you know what I mean hopefully :))
Detail on paint and wrinkles etc
Precision of paint job
Costs
Weight and robustness are pretty much even among all the big western brands. Safari and CollectA have more particularly large pieces in their ranges than Schleich and Papo do (though all have the occasional large figure).

You mentioned Schleich seeming somehow better or "less cheap" than Safari? I disagree (and no, I'm not inclined to see it as a matter of opinion), I think you probably just haven't been exposed to modern Safari releases. Schleich dinosaurs are overly thick and heavy, this can make them "feel" heftier, but more can often be less. Schleich figures (yes, even their modern animals) are overly large and thick thus giving them an artificially high weight for the size.

Being heavier doesn't make something better or more valuable, in this case it's explicitly the opposite, as Schleich sacrificed detail and accuracy to give their figures that heft. Schleich figures feel heavier but they are absolutely NOT more durable, they're at a sort of middle ground between soft and hard plastic and have the problems of both. Schleich figures sometimes use an almost elastic plastic with a spring to it and an uncomfortable chalky feeling (IE the current green Tyrannosaurus), this material seems durable at a glance but is shockingly brittle in practice, and details can even be rubbed off (something you will never have from any other large brand).

I absolute can't recommend Schleich over any other major brand, regardless of the reason.

Favorite Kinto has large vinyl figures in their range, these are of course much more detailed and higher quality than the typical large vinyl figures one will find for example at ToysRUs. These figures are large and much softer and lighter than hard plastic figures. Favorite labels these as vinyl, the "soft models" are actually made of hard plastic similar to Safari etc., they call them soft models because Favorite also makes resin models. I've started collecting their vinyl penguins and frankly have fallen in love with the things.

RECUR also makes vinyl figures, but the quality is far more varying, and most are not accurate.

The problem with assessing accuracy by brand is that only a few brands are consistent in that regard.

Safari and CollectA make accurate figures now (with the occasional error mind you) but anything more than a few years old runs you the risk of being little more accurate than a JP product.

Papo only ever makes anything accurate by sheer chance, they make things to look cool, and only a few are even passably accurate.

Schleich were easily the worst of the major brands for accuracy up until this year, but even this years upcoming roster (while a huge turnaround) isn't perfect by any means. Schleich's absolute best is comparable to Safari or CollectA's average.

Kaiyodo and Colorata are pretty consistent, though most of whats available is dated as it was made many years ago. Both are very small and Kaiyodo are also quite fragile, though Colorata are durable enough to be suitable for any children old enough to trust they won't suffocate on small things.

Favorite Kinto is incredibly variable presumably because they seem to leave so much up to their sculptors. Most of the dinosaurs are shrink-wrapped and overall pretty inaccurate, but the other extinct (and modern) animals are generally amazing. I recommend them for non-dinosaurs by a land slide.

No brand is consistent when it comes to size ratios, and frankly I think consistent scales are overrated but that's just me. Someone else can give you more on that.

What do you mean by realistic colour? And I'm not referring to the whole "we don't know the colours" thing. For example dinosaurs would likely not have looked like large mammals or modern reptiles. Almost all mammals are colorblind, even the more flashy mammals like zebra use patterns instead of colours.

For example Tyrannosaurus with peacock colours is arguably more realistic than a Tyrannosaurus with muted grey or green crocodile based colours. I'm sure that sounds silly at first but Tyrannosaurus was not an ambush predator (and may have even been nocturnal), it often hunted Triceratops which may have even been its primary prey, it killed by overpowering or outmaneuvering prey in a fight. An adult Tyrannosaurus isn't going to sneak up on anything in broad daylight no matter what colour it is, so because unlike mammals dinosaurs had good colour vision why not take advantage of that? Intimidating prey or rivals is far more useful than almost being able to sneak up on a half blind and heavily inebriated herbivore.

Kaiyodo and Favorite win hands down on paint application, not even a competition. Papo, Safari, Schleich, Colorata and CollectA are all pretty much equivalent.

Schleich and Papo are more expensive than Safari or CollectA for an equivalent (in size) product.

Kaiyodo and Colorata prices are often reliant on current resale values as most are no longer in production, there is a member here Brett who offers a great buying service for figures coming from Japanese markets.

Favorite Kinto is probably the best value for your money barring shipping, so if you're gonna buy some I recommend taking the chance and getting a big lot to save on shipping.

Neosodon

Safari and collecta completely dominate when in comes to inexpensive but decent dinosaur figures. Papo is still somewhat competitive but they been falling behind especially on scientific accuracy. They are durably made though and can handle play better than collecta's or safari's. You could say the same for shleich too but they are even worse than papo. There are other good figures out there from other brands too if you don't mind the hassle and price. For starting off a collection I would recommend just picking up a few of your favorite safari's and collecta's from the last few years.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: PigeonNZ on November 14, 2017, 09:22:46 PM
Thanks RobinGoodfellow! I'll have a look through your account and have a think :).

Are you able to give me any info specifically relating to my question about the weight? (This is what I'm having most trouble researching). I'd like to rule out product lines that feel significantly lighter than the feel of the schleich ones I experienced in a store but it's impossible for me to know what the other lines are like :s. I also don't want to order purely based on heavy ones and find they are too delicate for play and meant for display only 😬. Would appreciate any thoughts at all on this

If you're more concerned about weight, first you should choose the figures you're interested in.
As I said before, your request is too wide.
Usually figures are made of PVC, resin or vinyl.
PVC and vinyl figures are lightweight, more flexible and cheaper than resin ones (which are fragile and expensive but also more detailed).
But that's not enough.
Example : If you're interested in Papo Brachiosaurus (1:45 / PVC), obviously it is more heavy than Papo Tupuxuara ( 1:35 / PVC).
Size matters.
If you like Collecta figures, the big Feathered Tyrannosaurus (1:40 / PVC ) is heavier than Gastonia ( due to its size).
Same brand, same material (PVC) but totally different weight.
Etc etc ....
My suggestion is: FIRST  choosing figures you're interested in and THEN  we can discuss about technical specs.
Otherwise the discussion would be too long, generic and useless..
:)

P.S If you have a 2 year old baby who will play with figures you'll buy, I would choose cheaper and safer ones ONLY...  ;)
     On labels from Papo, Safari, Collecta etc.. there is a warning "NOT for children under 3 years"

gursar

you can place your entire kaiyodo collection on your desk next to your computer :). also if you enjoy DIY projects, you could design or customize your own display case with LED lighting and etc. it would be relatively easy to make considering all those tiny figures could fit in a modest size box. but, as mentioned before by stargatedalek, they are not suitable for small children.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: gursar on November 15, 2017, 11:32:48 AM
you can place your entire kaiyodo collection on your desk next to your computer :). also if you enjoy DIY projects, you could design or customize your own display case with LED lighting and etc. it would be relatively easy to make considering all those tiny figures could fit in a modest size box. but, as mentioned before by stargatedalek, they are not suitable for small children.

I like Kaiyodo very much but, honestly, I couldn't suggest these figures to a new collector.
In my opinion Kaiyodo is for advanced collectors.
Kaiyodo figures are almost impossible to find outside Japan (that means you have to find them on Ebay at inflated prices).
Most of the figures are out of production, extremely small sized, fragile, not suitable for playing and for young children.
Simply too much for a beginner.

Shonisaurus

By weight any figure of a PVC company is light, another case are resin figures that are very heavy.

I would recommend within my null knowledge as accurate from the paleontological point of view Safari and Collecta. Schleich is doing some precise models this year, but they are figures that are destined, at least until now, to the smallest of the house.

As gameplay I recommend Recur is a company whose figures do not weigh anything and above all do not suffer abrasions or destruction in falls, are made of PVC and filled with cotton is ideal for children.

As companies whose PVC figures I consider heavy an important example is Papo whose figures in a considerable part are not paleontological exact, that yes except for exceptions (for example plesiosaurus or amargasaurus) they are very detailed and hyperrealistic. His brachiosaurus is one of his heaviest figures that exist in the toy market.

Regarding elegance in his figure, I recommend Battat are soft plastic figures. I like it that some figures like the Tyrannosaurus rex have problems when it comes to standing up.

Favorite Kinto, or the missing PNSO are good companies especially in relation to Favorite in their prehistoric animals and in their miniatures of Cambrian animals. The bad thing is that their figures are held in a snap-in support that often gives of itself.

And the said figures of Kaiyodo dinotales are ideal for that person who has little space to accommodate their figures in the house. But its playability is less in the sense that its pieces are removable, very small and inadvisable for children.

Rebor is an expensive company but its figures do not usually suffer abrasions, but there are cases such as acrocanthosaurus, its pieces are removable to extremes for me a bit exaggerated but said very expensive.

The figures of Bullyland are quite light even in their sauropods but they tend to present abrasions even by rubbing with another object and sometimes tend to present caricature details especially their first creations. Lately they make figures of dinosaurs destined for children so I do not advise it, maybe archeopteryx 2017 is the only figure that I like.

The resin figures are the best of prehistoric animals but they are very expensive very heavy and for any carelessness if you do not have them in a showcase as it happens to me it can cause its safe breakage.

Each company has its own philosophy but that is, in my opinion, what in general terms I think of all those figures.

PigeonNZ

Wow so much great help from all of you thank you!

I probably should have said that I'm looking for heavier weights because my daughter is autistic and sensory seeking so the proprioception return is far greater for her with heavy toys and objects and she is clearly drawn to such toys.

It's strange how so many of you mention the weight difference being more related to the size of a figure than the brand as when I experience toys in store here there is a very obvious difference in the feeling of weight and density when I pick up Safari Ltd models (very light regardless of size and cheaper pricetags) vs Schleich and CollectA which costs more and again, across all sizes are noticeably made from a heavier material. As Stargatedalek suggested it may be that I haven't been exposed to the more modern Safari Ltd models which could explain this. In NZ we don't even have a ToysRUs. We have two retail stores which sell these that I can find and the pickings are extremely slim in each so it's more of a place for me to get a close look and feel of the ranges before I order the specific models I want from online. Gutted we don't have more ranges here! I'm going to the second store today which appears to advertise a Papo Dimetrodon so I'm hopeful I'll get a chance to try those too.

I'm sure as I expand the collection I'll try ordering some from most brands regardless of durability and weight etc. I just thought a good start would be things my girl can enjoy :).

RobinGoodfellow, she will be nearing 3 by the time I get these and those 3+ warnings are fairly standard and come on even the most childish of toys so company's cover themselves. Most parents tend to take it with a grain of salt and make the call by observing the toy itself but thanks for keeping her in mind with your advice, she's pretty precious to me! :)

Stargatedalek when I talked about realistic looking I guess I meant ones that do feel like part of the animal kingdom. Part of that probably is the inaccuracies of movies colouring the look. Part of it is also the more detail and precise painting help to make models feel more realistic looking. Sorry if I'm not explaining that very well. I am frequently checking RobinGoodfellow's flickr account as I research which has really helped in this regard so I can pick out what I like best. I'm also following another thread here where people discuss which brand had the best of what models and I tend to agree with those judgments when I take a look :).

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.