News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

I'm new, don't eat me.

Started by zatrex99, December 05, 2017, 04:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zatrex99

Hello, I'm new to this board, but have used it a resource for years. An excellent site. I'd like to thank those who review on the blog, their reviews and pictures have made up my mind to pass or buy on several figures.

As a collector, I don't buy everything, I'm very selective because I'd rather have the 'best' vinyl/plastic figures (I got rid of my entire Carnegie collection) and money limits me somewhat, but I wouldn't appreciate what I have if I bought everything. I'm a sauropod lover, Apatosaurus is my favorite, and while most lines don't keep in scale, I feel fortunate, I can get my sauropods close in scale. Accuracy comes in second to the sculpt for me. Papo is the best followed closely by WS. Collect-A provides some good fillers, and Schleich every once in a while has something that just rocks. As I said, the sculpt is more important to me, and I place a premium on any sculpt that represents some of my favorite dinosaur art, or movies. (I'm a huge JP fan.)

I collect the regular museum lines made of vinyl, no Sideshow or Resin models. PSNO was tempting, but I resisted.

I became a dinosaur lover when I got a Marx prehistoric set for a birthday present as a 5yr old, and half my collection since then is devoted to Marx and MPC. 

Here are my favorites, I've divided them into current and old school.

Current:

#1) Papo Apatosaurus
My perfect Apatosaurus. Yes, the neck is a little fat, but the pose is great, it's a good representation of the Sideshow one, and the head is perfect. This is big deal to me, because there were a lot of Apatosaurus' that came before it that had horrible heads. (Schleich!)

#2) Papo Allosaurus
It's just the best Allo ever, enough said.

#3) Papo Sitting T-Rex
Big JP fan, and their T-Rex perfectly represents the Rex at the end of the movie.

#4) WS Apatosaurus
I love the body and detail on this. The head seems old-school to me, but I love it.

#5) WS Brachiosaurus
Best version of this sauropod ever. I'm partially biased because Papo made a great one (JP), but this one is in scale with the rest of my favorites and I like the paint job..

#6) Papo Running T-Rex
Yes, it looks starved, but it is a perfect marriage of JP and the V-rexes in King Kong.

#7) Schleich Pentaceratops
What can I say, I love it. Excellent/vibrant sculpt of my favorite horned dinosaur.

#8) Collect-A Daxiatitan
The color scheme is ugly, but the sculpt is beautiful.

#9) Collect-A Utahceratops
He's just too cute for words and an excellent sculpt. (and yes, I bought 7 different CollectA figures to create the 'too cute for words line.' He's the star of it.)

#10) WS Diplodocus The figure and pose is oh-so perfect. The paint-job leaves a lot to be desired.

Honorable mentions: Collect-A Olorotinan (part of my too cute for words line), WS Coelophiysis, Papo Pachyrinosaurus, WS Gigantosaurus. Battat (I don't share the board's love for this line, but love these two models when repainted...) I have the WS Triceratops, but nobody can match the perfection that Battat brought to this figure. Best ever, it just needed repainting. Same goes for the Ceratosaurus, except I bought a Chinese knockoff off the Reborn one made of vinyl.

Could one of these lines please make a Camarasaurus!!!

Old-school:

#1) Marx Brontosaurus
Marx dinosaurs were my first and he's my all time favorite. Ever.

#2) Marx Sleek T-Rex
My set was Heritage, meaning I got a waxy mint green, sleek, T-Rex. It wasn't until later I became aware of the pot-belly Rex, which I hate and have traded the only three I ever had. (Marx made some the greatest sculpts in the history of toys in their playsets, not just prehistoric, but the pot-belly was just bad, and the possessed teddy-bears they called allosaurs ranks 2nd to them.)

#3) Marx Hadrosaurus
I really love duckbills and to have one that waves? Priceless. Marx put a lot of personality into their figures, and this one just shines out. My original mint green one is in perfect condition (most of my original set did not survive.) I call him Winston because he reminds me of W. Churchill. I've had the good fortune of finding in the Superior swirled green, silver, and two different colors of light blue, med blue.

#4) Invicta Mamenchisaurus
While Brontosaurus/Apatosaurus is my favorite, there was no better figure in the Invicata line-up. This figure is just majestic.

#5) Ajax Brontosaurus
It's hollow, but has a striking pose that just sings to me. I somehow manged to keep my original blue one in near pristine condition (Blue and purple are my favorite colors.) but lost a red, green and white one due to breakage.

#6) Marx Trachodon
Hands up or down, a lovely figure.

#7) Invicta Iguanodon
#8) Marx Iguanodon
#9) MPC Brontosaurus. (makes a great juvenile.)
#10) MPC Trachodon (makes a great juvenile.)

Honorable mentions: Invicta T-Rex, Brontosaurus, Diplodocus, Marx Platesaurus.

And of course I love anything Doug Watson creates, though I don't own all of them.

Joey

Welcome to the forum zatrex99! Hope you have a great time here!  ^-^

DinoToyForum

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found the Dinotoyblog useful.  8)

Good lists!

tyrantqueen

Uncle Rex

Welcome to the Forum. I enjoyed reading your list of favourites and share your love for the Marx dinosaurs. They hooked my interest when I was a kid and I still have most of them. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. Perhaps you'll share some photos of your collection.

Lanthanotus

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Sauropods are my most loved group of dinosaurs aswell and the great Papo Apatosaurus stands on a customized base right before my eyes since more than two years which makes it the model with the longest display time in my collection. I have to admit tho, that I customized it a bit, cause I found the head somewhat off (with the wide open bellowing mouth and the warp between left and right side). Nevertheless a great model. I highly recommend the PNSO Mamenchisaurus and Kaiyodo Dinotales models. Scale is a problem there, but they are neat, "cheap" in a way and remarkably accurate.

Have fun here.

Jose S.M.

zatrex99

Thank you everyone for welcoming me!

zatrex99

Quote from: Uncle Rex on December 05, 2017, 09:50:51 AM
Welcome to the Forum. I enjoyed reading your list of favourites and share your love for the Marx dinosaurs. They hooked my interest when I was a kid and I still have most of them. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. Perhaps you'll share some photos of your collection.

When I get time and find the image hosting site for this site, I will. Fill free to share or if you have questions on prices on e-bay, see me. Some sellers over value their Marx and MPC's.

zatrex99

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 05, 2017, 10:00:23 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Sauropods are my most loved group of dinosaurs aswell and the great Papo Apatosaurus stands on a customized base right before my eyes since more than two years which makes it the model with the longest display time in my collection. I have to admit tho, that I customized it a bit, cause I found the head somewhat off (with the wide open bellowing mouth and the warp between left and right side). Nevertheless a great model. I highly recommend the PNSO Mamenchisaurus and Kaiyodo Dinotales models. Scale is a problem there, but they are neat, "cheap" in a way and remarkably accurate.

Have fun here.

I'd like to see your custom of the Papo Apatosaurus. I thought about buying one to paint, but don't trust my painting skills to.

Patrx

Hello and welcome! This looks like a good time for sauropod fans, what with two new ones from Safari and a Brontosaurus on the way from CollectA :)

Doug Watson

Hey another Marx lover is welcome here anytime, there aren't many of us left. If you had the waxy set you must have grown up in the seventies I am guessing. I grew up on the original lead based flat ones in the fifties and sixties (and survived with minimal brain damage). i look forward to seeing your collection when you get an image host I have been replacing mine after Photobucket left us high & dry but you can see my Marx collection on my collection thread.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: zatrex99 on December 05, 2017, 02:57:20 PM

I'd like to see your custom of the Papo Apatosaurus. I thought about buying one to paint, but don't trust my painting skills to.

I actually did not change its paint or color as I find it perfectly in this matter.... all I did was cutting the teeth out, close the mouth and adding a base: Click!

Libraraptor

Hello and welcome to the Forum!  Enjoyed your introduction and I hope you have a good time here!

Daspletotyrannus

zatrex99

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 05, 2017, 04:04:11 PM
Quote from: zatrex99 on December 05, 2017, 02:57:20 PM

I actually did not change its paint or color as I find it perfectly in this matter.... all I did was cutting the teeth out, close the mouth and adding a base: Click!

Lanthanotus that looks really good, both what you did with the Apatosaurus and the diorma base. I may have to try that in the future. very nice work.

zatrex99

Quote from: Patrx on December 05, 2017, 03:17:05 PM
Hello and welcome! This looks like a good time for sauropod fans, what with two new ones from Safari and a Brontosaurus on the way from CollectA :)

Right you are, my friend. I want to buy at least three of the Brontosaurus, two to make customs. Though my sculpting skills are rudimentary at best, I want to try and make this head for it. (Sorry, still not picture enabled yet.)
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-illustration/apatosaurus-head-called-brontosaurus-sauropod-dinosaur-239381182?src=UwfCjY-VpLjkuwYS5VQETQ-1-36

zatrex99

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 05, 2017, 03:36:53 PM
Hey another Marx lover is welcome here anytime, there aren't many of us left. If you had the waxy set you must have grown up in the seventies I am guessing. I grew up on the original lead based flat ones in the fifties and sixties (and survived with minimal brain damage). i look forward to seeing your collection when you get an image host I have been replacing mine after Photobucket left us high & dry but you can see my Marx collection on my collection thread.

And those of us that are left, are quite selective about our collections, lol. The lead based really showed off the details of the sculpts best though it could explain why some collectors are so strange, (don't chew on dinosaur tails.) I'm in my forties, so the heritage waxy set is my foundation, though I really fell in love with some of the bright colors of Toystreet, SDC, and the Ruby edition Flintstone Marx dinos as well as MPC's cereal premiums. Give me some time and will post my collection.

BTW, I have seen your collection and very envious of the metallic green swirled/drizzled Marx (Bront/Rex/Krono) set you have. That had to be a once in a lifetime find.

Joey

Quote from: zatrex99 on December 06, 2017, 02:54:38 AM
Quote from: Patrx on December 05, 2017, 03:17:05 PM

Right you are, my friend. I want to buy at least three of the Brontosaurus, two to make customs. Though my sculpting skills are rudimentary at best, I want to try and make this head for it. (Sorry, still not picture enabled yet.)
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-illustration/apatosaurus-head-called-brontosaurus-sauropod-dinosaur-239381182?src=UwfCjY-VpLjkuwYS5VQETQ-1-36

There, I did it for you. Just gotta use the image function.

Bowhead Whale

Welcome from french Canada! And don't worry: bowhead whales do not eat sauropods! Too big for our throat!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: