You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lanthanotus' dioramas [updated: Bases for Seismosaurus and Edaphosaurus]

Started by Lanthanotus, November 26, 2015, 10:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Hello all,

just wanted to present a first diorama/stand I made for my Papo Apatosaurus. It is made from a piece of chicken wire for reinforcement and cement. For decoration I used white glue, peat, sand, some pieces of fallen wood, acorn cupules and colored spruce needles. Those are very prone to break off, so a fair few are already missing, need to replace them with some colored Tyvek.

As I didn't like the aggressive bellowing of the Apatosaurus I cut out it's teeth and closed the mouth with the help of hot water, fixed it with cyanacrylat and put in a bit of greens made of colored Tyvek paper.

The piece usually stands on my desktop in height of my eyes without the sky in the background.

Arul

Hello very nice diorama. Plus, papo make it looks more alive :) btw is that black tree monitor aka v.beccari on your signature ? :)

Rain

Firstly, welcome to the forums!  ;D Secondly, that looks amazing. Shutting the mouth on the figure just makes it look a lot more majestic. Great work!

tyrantqueen

Nice idea. I like seeing people add their own little tweaks to their figures.

bL00df0x

AWESOME! I love it a lot! Great work man!

Jetoar

Really beautifull friend, a beautiful base is a good point for some figures as this  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

ceratopsian

That's really effective work.  And I for one like to see animals with their mouths closed!  Congratulations on your work.

Lanthanotus

Thanks to you all for the nice words!

Yeah, luckily more and more figures (not only dinos, but also crocs and such) are made with articulated jaws, as I find the open mounths all time (especially on theropods) are really unnerving.

Dinomike

That is a very good diorama base!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Tyto_Theropod

Lovely work. I agree, the Apatosaurus looks much better with its mouth shut.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Lanthanotus

So, to continue the thread,... here's the designated counterpart for the Apatosaurus. As it happens I like models with closed mouth, just cause it's more naturalistic - wolves or tigers don't go hunting snarling and roaring all time and eagles don't screech when goin' down on the rabbit :D - so choosed the Schleich Allosaurus, a figure I quite like for it's color scheme and overall design. However, a bit of reposing was necessaryy to add a bit more "agility" to the scene (legs and arms have been bent, tail elevated, Head turned a bit and fingers cut single. The base basically was made the same way as for the Apatosaurus, just used some different materials to do the plants (alder cones and colored sequoia leaves),.... so here we go:

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Jetoar

Really good base friend. It is a beautiful point for your figures  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Arul

Looks like that base is fit for any figure :)

LophoLeeVT

is that just me or did you also do modifications on the allosaurus jaw???
the color sheme looks darker than the one i have.
but i think that it makes it more awesome!!!
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Arul on December 23, 2015, 02:45:29 AM
Looks like that base is fit for any figure :)

Hehe, as said, the base of the Allo was basically made like the Apatos also using lot of same materials. But both have shallow footprints of the matching dinosaurs, so not just anybody fit's in these "shoes" :D

Quote from: raptor64870 on December 23, 2015, 03:45:54 AM
is that just me or did you also do modifications on the allosaurus jaw???
the color sheme looks darker than the one i have.
but i think that it makes it more awesome!!!

No, I did not alter the paintjob on the Allo, came from the shelf just like this. All I did was repositioning tail, neck,legs and arms/hands with the famous hot/cold water method. For some reason the hands won't stay in their designated position but tend to go back half way to the awkward pronated position.

dreadmane

Great work Lanthasaurus, keep them coming! :)
Check out my prehistoric toy/model photography on the Dinosaur Toy Forum here or Instagram here

Lanthanotus

Some time went by since my last post here.... so this is my Diorama for the Kaiyodo Plateosaurus I made a review for, it's supposed to represent a forest burned and buried by a thick layer of volcanic ash. The cataclysm dates back some weeks or even months and the first burned cycad begins to sprout out of the resin seeping bole. While the trees fight for survival, the frail beasts do so even more. So the diorama is entitled "Hope". Made from cement, chicken wire, burned wood, icelandic volcanic sand, dispersion paint, potato glue and colored tyvek paper.

PaleoMatt

These are really great! You should participate in the Diorama Contest this year :D

Dilopho

Yeah, using Icelandic volcanic sand in your dioramas is real dedication! :o

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: