News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Torosaurus Specimen!

Started by suspsy, December 05, 2017, 02:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/12/04/triceratops-thornton-torosaurus/#.Wiaaf9rYr5I.twitter

Given how rare Torosaurus fossils are, this is very exciting news indeed! I look forward to more details, and hopefully more images!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

That's a nice discovery, specially since they said it can be the best preserved Torosaurus skull. Thanks for sharing

Tylosaurus

This is brilliant news! also being the 7th Torosaurus specimen found yet the most complete, this can finally get rid of that misthought of Torosaurus being an older Triceratops, even as that so called thought went , I never believed it anyways, Torosaurus is too different imo when comparing to that of a Triceratops for that part. Nose horn is also much smaller on Torosaurs than that of Triceratops as well.

I look forward on seeing the skull of this beauty 8)

suspsy

Albertosaurus

The most exciting part for me is the fact that it seems to be a young adult. That means that Torosaurus is not a very old Triceratops. I usually agree with Horner, but in this case the differences are way too big between triceratops and torosaurus skulls. They are just two different species.

suspsy

Yes, obviously more research needs to be done on 'Tiny,' but he/she could well prove to be the proverbial nail in the "Triceratops = Torosaurus" hypothesis' coffin! And hurrah for that!

Everything_Dinosaur

Glad you like our write up, we covered this story initially as we reported the sad death of palaeontologist Mike Getty from the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.  We have been liaising with the press team at the Museum as the story about what this specimen might be has developed.

WarrenJB

ZoPteryx

Awesome find!  Should really help us settle this debate, but of course sexual differences could always be invoked.  But with some histology, maybe even that could be solved!  ^-^

DC

perhaps Torosaurus is not triceratops but some Triceratops are actually Torosaurus.
You can never have too many dinosaurs