You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What are your biggest reasons for not buying an otherwise good figure/model?

Started by Ravonium, December 07, 2017, 09:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[deleted poll]

[deleted]
[deleted]

Ravonium

Give us the reasons that would prevent you from getting the figure/model the most?

Update: I've decided to not to continue with poll as it was a failure caused solely by my decisions. If someone can delete the poll fully without deleting the entire topic, then go ahead.

CityRaptor

Why did you not add it being expensive to the list? Because I can imagine that this is also a common reason. At least for me.

Edit: Oh, you edited the poll. Good.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Ravonium

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 07, 2017, 09:32:58 PM
Why di you not add it being expensive to the list?

I've added it now.

Update: I've realised that this poll needs a bit more discussion. I've kept the current votes, but I've locked it until this has been discussed thoroughly.

Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions for options I could add or remove?

tyrantqueen

I would not be stopped by paintwork and colour schemes because these are easy to correct- I can change it myself, or send to a customiser.

My usual reason is size/scale. I don't like huge figures.

Accuracy is another one, but if the sculpt is good enough I will show some flexibility  (and again, customisation is possible)

IrritatorRaji

Sometimes the company can be an issue. I've seen a few people who refuse to be Rebor's models simply because they hate the company.

Ravonium

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 07, 2017, 09:54:34 PM
My usual reason is size/scale. I don't like huge figures.

Added to the poll.

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on December 07, 2017, 10:02:56 PM
Sometimes the company can be an issue. I've seen a few people who refuse to be Rebor's models simply because they hate the company.

Added to the poll (although I'm expecting this to be removed before the poll is unlocked).

Shonisaurus

It should also be added if the figure is detailed or a bit coarse. I mean that collectors we like detailed figures and honestly too crude figures would not buy them for anything in the world (for example the dinosaurs of a candy store) that is to say the chinasaurs that are commented contemptuously.

For example imitations of other companies for reasons of health, toxicity and quality I do not buy them.

On the other hand I value much more detailed and well-painted figures that are not funny or lack such a redundancy of details.

Sim

Quote from: Ravonium on December 07, 2017, 09:09:30 PM
OK, so let's say there's a figure or model that you've found out about, but when you look at it, there's a single issue that prevents you from getting it.

The question is, which one of the listed reasons would prevent you from getting the figure/model the most?

For me, this is an unrealistic request.  This is because out of what you've currently listed in the poll, there are four options that would prevent me from getting a figure.  It's not a matter of which one would prevent me the most, they all would prevent me from getting a figure.  I have a feeling that making people choose only one reason won't give results that have much meaning.

With regards to Shonisaurus's post about detail, I'd say it's possible to have too much detail on a figure as well.  There have been figures I haven't bought because I felt the detail was excessive.

Loon

Faelrin

To answer the question, it would more then likely be because I simply just don't have the money for it at the time. Otherwise is it a genus I find interesting or not? If it is, then it might be a combination of factors before I choose not to get it. Of course things could always change, and some day I might choose to get it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Jose S.M.

My biggest reasons for not getting a figure are:

Price: I've seen gorgeous figures and sculptures that I would buy in a minute if they weren't so expensive, this applies mostly to resin sculptures and figures from China or locations outside the U.S, because their price alone is unaffordable, plus shipping and the almost sure possibility that the package will be stuck at customs (everything from Asia is being retained in my country, I mean everything almost everytime).

Inaccuracies: I'm one to look for accuracy more than a detailed sculpt that doesn't even look like what's suppose to be, also I've developed a big dislike for pronated hands. Weird and implausible poses can get lumped into this catergory for me.

Another thing that I consider is size, I don't collect minis and for the larger size I have my standards, like I won't get a figure of a 5 meter ceratopsian that's bigger than my W.S. Tyrannosaurus (I'm refering here to the lovely CollectA Styracosaurus, it's too much out of scale for me sadly). My exceptions for this are the tiny dinosaurs that are commonly made in larger scales like Microraptor and the really huge Sauropods, that I prefer in smaller scales because otherwise they would be entering in the expensive category.

I'm short of space so I'm trying to not repeat genuses too. Unless is vastly superior to the one I have or in a better scale, I won't buy a figure of a genus that I already have.

Simon

1 - Price;

2 - Not interested in the animal depicted;

3 - Too small. I like my dinosaurs BIG  ;)

IrritatorRaji

I guess the style of the sculpt could also be a thing?
I've kinda been put off some Terra Battat figures because, even though they have a good paintjob and are accurate, their sculpt style is just a little too... simple? It's mainly just lines, no sculpted scales or small details.

Also, quality. Especially for older dinosaur models the quality of the sculpt can be a big issue.

laticauda

Huskies

1. Cost
2. Inaccurate sculpt (major incorrect proportion)
3. The scale is too big.

Halichoeres

I usually only have one figure per species/genus, so if it's not the best version I'm usually not going to buy it. That said, I almost never buy anything smaller than 1:50 scale unless there's no other version available. Even when I go smaller than that it's generally only for sauropods. I prefer 1:40 when I can get it, but I'll buy something in 1:30 or 1:20 over a 1:40 figure if it's a significantly more attractive or accurate sculpt.

But I have a really hard time resisting even extremely crappy figures if they're the only version of a given taxon.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Neosodon

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Ravonium

For me, the biggest reasons are size/scale, expensive, not easily avaliable and innacuracy.

Lanthanotus

Well,... "an otherwise good figure"... that will leave me with ...

- Space: Do I have room for it? Space is limited for me, so that will be a reason either to skip on that model or to get rid of another in turn.

- Price: This actually is the more important reason, after all I am not Scrooge McDuck. "Not easily" available and such,... for me that's all breaking down to money. I do not care if I need to search for extended time, wait, have to commision someone or pay shipping and taxes - as long as all of this is within reason (which is obviously an individual measurement).

Shonisaurus

What I value most is:

Price: that toy dinosaur figure be reasonably priced. But we must point out that good is expensive.

Detail: I like the figures of dinosaurs regardless of whether they are scientific or not detailed, trying to resemble dinosasaurs and prehistoric resin animals like Sideshow or even Favorite. I love the hyperrealism of Papo or Rebor, and also the realism of Safari or Collecta.

What I like about dinosaurs: I like dinosaurs and prehistoric animals that do not have articulated body parts. This clashes with a logically high percentage of members of the forum and not for aesthetic reasons but because many times these joints are given. I also do not like that the parts of the body are removable like arms, tail, legs for example. It's just an opinion. Although as I mentioned the figures of Papo although they have articulated jaws or on the other hand Rebor must recognize that their tongue or their teeth are very detailed. That does not mean they are just as great companies as Safari, Mojo or Favorite without articulated jaws.

Another thing that I do not like about dinosaurs is that they suffer abrasions due to natural and logical falls even for those of us who are collectors. This is partially solved with several layers of paint. For example, Papo is very resistant to abrasions caused by falling off the shelves. That is a good thing that the Recur company has that although it is intended primarily for children rather than collectors is resistant to abrasions.

I also do not like dinosaurs or prehistoric animals that are excessively rigid for a reason they are broken by falls or accidents. Above all I think they should be more flexible material to avoid accidents for children, examples of theropod dinosaurs that I like for their flexibility, the allosaurus and the tyrannosaurus rex (green and red I call them that) of Mojo.

Bases: I like dinosaurs in particular terĂ³podos that have non-removable bases or in any case that do not have it, as long as they remain standing. In this I value much to the companies Papo, Safari, Schleich or Collecta that have or do not have removable bases.

Size and scale: I prefer that dinosaurs and prehistoric animals in general are large and not made at scales. I am left with a medium-large size for the generality of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals and a large size for the sauropods, I greatly value the Papo brachiosaurus, the ancient Collecta sauropods like the agustinia or nigersaurus made without a small scale, the Carnegie dinosaurs , the brachiosaurus of Bullyland or the sauropods of Safari this year for example. If dinosaurs or prehistoric animals are not big I like them above all to be at least as voluminous as it is with Collecta xenoceratops and without underestimating works of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of modest or small size that are small works.

Painting: I like attractive paintings as long as they do not disfigure the toy and give it a strange appearance and I also value the most conservative colors.

Although it is more expensive I prefer to make dinosaurs and prehistoric animals mounted on artistic bases, I liked very much for example the oviraptor with nest Safari company based on the work of Luis Rey.

In general, I have expressed my opinion of what I like in general about dinosaurs and it goes without saying that each company has a philosophy that respects it and will not be an obstacle for them to buy their excellent figures annually.  :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: