News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Starlux

Started by juju1305, July 24, 2012, 11:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Looking at the 'Andrewsarchus' figure, I'm pretty sure it's not really Andrewsarchus (right up there with 'Placochelys'). It looks a lot like a painting of Mesonyx (a relative), I think by Knight.

If nothing else, the heads appears too short (or the body is strangely proportioned).

I'm just glad I have one!

juju1305

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 29, 2012, 06:39:35 PM
Those pterosaurs are a lucky find: cheap and undamaged ;D

well done :) I'm getting to missing figures for a reasonable price this week too :) (but not the pterosaurs though)

juju1305

Quote from: SBell on July 29, 2012, 08:59:23 PM
Looking at the 'Andrewsarchus' figure, I'm pretty sure it's not really Andrewsarchus (right up there with 'Placochelys'). It looks a lot like a painting of Mesonyx (a relative), I think by Knight.

If nothing else, the heads appears too short (or the body is strangely proportioned).

Agree. But Starlux definitely refered to this figure as "andrewsarchus" despite the obvious flaws.

juju1305

Hello guys,

here a bit more historical background about the Starlux figures.

This visual dating back to 1971 shows the first 12 models launched between 1968 and 1970

The mammoth, diplodocus, Iguanodon, aurochs and cavebear were launched in 1968.
Note that the diplodocus and mammoth were both retired and replaced by other models later.

The tyrannosaurus, stegosaurus, triceratops, wooly rhino and dimetrodon were launched in 1969.
Note that the stegosaurus originally had a green color, which was later changed to grey.

The paleotherium, machairodus, diatryma and phororhacos were launched in 1970.

This visual shows figures launched in 1972

Note that the trachodon, while being kept in the catalogue (and experiencing several color evolutions ranging from olive green to turquese) was then refered to as shantungosaurus.

This visual show the 1974 launches

This one shows the 1978 launches

And this one shows the 1979 ones.

Launches continued up to the mid 1980s with pachycephalosaurus, scelidosaurus, psittacosaurus, scelidosaurus and deinonychus being the last figures to be launched.

This is a trilingual flyer showing the full cavemen collection

And finally a 2 page flyer showing the full final collection with all 85 animal figures and 13 cavemen figures.

Interestingly, almost all figures stayed in the catalogue after making it originally. The first caveman, the mammoth and the diplodocus are notable exceptions as shown  below

There were of course color variations on some of the models; styracosaurus went from dark brown to a beautiful grey, stegosaurus from green to grey, etc... and megalosaurus retained its unbelievable pink  :P ;D

Bokisaurus

Interesting info, so much to learn about this line ;)

SBell

Quote from: juju1305 on July 29, 2012, 09:48:10 PM

Agree. But Starlux definitely refered to this figure as "andrewsarchus" despite the obvious flaws.

I know that--but it most likely is not actually one.

Blackdanter

I will be listing a few nice Starlux figures on Ebay shortly  ;)

SBell

Quote from: Blackdanter on August 03, 2012, 07:20:02 PM
Quote from: Libraraptor on July 27, 2012, 09:21:47 AM
I need more Starlux! I love them so much! They´re pretty awesome!

Which ones are you after Libraraptor?

I have a few doubles in really great condition:

Protoceratops
Uintatherium
Phororhacos
Cynognathus
Tyrannosaurus
Moeritherium
Megatherium (with tongue intact!)

I also have a few with bits missing but I can't remember which ones at the minute!

They were earmarked for Ebay at some point but I'd be happy to trade if your interested.

These figures are a mailing nightmare however. I think at least 2 out of every 10 I buy arrive busted up in some way!

Interestingly, in all of the Starlux I've had mailed to me, I never once had any arrive broken (that weren't already broken).  Even when one French seller basically piled two lots of them into two separate plastic shopping bags, stuffed them in a box, stuffed in some more bags and mailed them to Canada!

Blackdanter

Interestingly, in all of the Starlux I've had mailed to me, I never once had any arrive broken (that weren't already broken).  Even when one French seller basically piled two lots of them into two separate plastic shopping bags, stuffed them in a box, stuffed in some more bags and mailed them to Canada!
[/quote]

You've been lucky Sean. The ones I've bought from France have been really well packed but some still arrive in the puzzle edition or with optional tails or legs!  :-\

juju1305

Quote from: SBell on August 03, 2012, 03:51:09 PM
Quote from: juju1305 on July 29, 2012, 09:48:10 PM

I know that--but it most likely is not actually one.

You know, It's a 30 year old figure :) it was launched in 1982

juju1305

These three folks hit my post office this morning.  ^-^  :))  ;D

juju1305

And here's a little bit more Starlux history.

Here are the reference sheets with all Starlux models as of 1983 and 1984.

You'll see differences on the second sheet where the final releases of 1984 are missing on the 1983 sheet: Pachycephalosaurus, psittacosaurus, scelidosaurus, dicraeosaurus, deinonychus.

Note that these also show the original sculpts for the mammoth and diplodocus, though these had been already replaced by the new sculpts at that time.

Seijun

Through what years did starlux manufacture prehistoric figures?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

juju1305

Hi Seijun,

Starlux started its production of prehistoric animal figures in 1969 and kept adding new references (animals and/or cavemen) to it until 1984 when the collection was complete with 85 different animal species and 13 different cavement figures.

These continued to be produced up to the mid-90s when the company went bankrupt.

juju1305

I'm really glad about the addition of these two new Starlux figures to my collection. With the ouranosaurus, I now have all dinosaur figures from Starlux. the pterodactylus is my first pterosaur in their line, I'm still missing the pteranodon and rhamphorhynchus.

stoneage

stoneage

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: