News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Starlux

Started by juju1305, July 24, 2012, 11:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juju1305

hello everyone,

I'm glad to share my Starlux collection on this forum.

I'm going to start with my Starlux collection. It was bought back in the late 80s / early 90s in France (I live in the East of France in Strasbourg, the store was in Mulhouse, near my parent's place). These were sold by a toy store that my parents would take me to once or twice a month. I remember that the store manager gave us these lists of figures, so that I could check wich ones were still to be collected (she had identified we were good customers lol).

Here are the overview sheets and the boxes in which each figure is carefully packed  ;D :

Here is the whole collection (I just realize i should have moved the bottles of booze on the right hand side of the pic...  ;D )

Here are the dinosaurs

The pink megalosaurus has to be the WORST ever produced, but I love it.

Allosaurus has this great laying eggs / taking a dump position that CollectA has reproduced on some of their figures.

The T-Rex and anatosaurus are in classic epic Z. Burian standing positions.

I really like the styracosaurus with its cool grey and dark eye. 

Shantungosaurus, Triceratops and Stegosaurus are really cool but have these huge mouths that look like that of Batman's joker  ;D

4 of the figures are in pairs (pachycephalosaurus, centrosaurus, iguanodon and struthiomimus) because one is slightly damaged and one still intact (broken horn, tongue and/or tail).

I'll publish the other animals in subsequent posts on this thread. Hope you enjoy this.

[Edit: August 13, 2012, additions]

Here are the version 1 figures of diplodocus and stegosaurus.

Starlux changed sculpts between v1 and v2 diplododus (see above). Stegosaurus just underwent a repaint from green and red to grey and red.

[Edit: September 28, 2012, addition]

The ouranosaurus. Ironically, it's standing on its two feet while the spinosaurus is on all four...

juju1305

Here are all the Starlux pre-dinosaur and non dinosaur animals up to the end of the cretaceous

I love the marine reptiles ! The tylosaurus is one of my favorites. I think that the shape of the new Papo tylo reminds me of this one  ;D the nothosaurs are really nice as well as the tanystropheuses. The archelon and ichtyosaur are quite beautiful too. The plesiosaur is a classic Nessie.

I love the fish: the cephalaspis and drepanaspis are among their best figures.

The scutosaurus and bradysaurus have really interesting skin textures.

Despite the obvious flaws, this batch is much better and more interesting than the dinosaur one.

I'll publish the mammals and other post-cretaceous animals in the next post.

[Edit: september 28, 2012: addition]

The pterodactylus. A quite nice figure actually, with a total retro-representation of this animal.

juju1305

And here are the Starlux mammals and other post-cretaceous animals

This is in my opinion where Starlux excelled. some of these are really exceptionnal.

I love the megaloceros. The horns are beautiful.

The moropus has a really beautiful fur.

The terror birds diatryma and phororhacos are classic "Burian" figures but are among my favorites.

The uintaterium is quite large and has a vibrand color. 

My father's favorites are the elephants. The platybelodon is quite funny and the deinotherium is epic ! The mammoth's and mastodont's tusks are made of a different plastic material. They are quite fragile but we managed to preserve them for over 20 years  8-)

The baluchitherium is represented in its classic bulky way.

The cavemen are nice but they were not really appealing to me.

The synthetoceras is lovely unfortunately, its snout horn broke and search for the remaining piece is still ongoing (probably hopeless  ;) )

These Starlux figures are vintage. I like their dated look and feel. Starlux went out of business in the late 90s. a french singer, Francis Lalanne was moved by the story of the company and bought the shares, but the company has not gone back to business since. These figures can no longer be found in stores. 

I think that the selection of species was a quite educated one that large manufacturers such as schleich could look up to. Next to the classic selection (T-Rex, steg, mammoth, etc...) Starlux had a fine selection of rare species that few or no manufacturers have produced since. The scales are of course totally messed up, with uintatherium being larger than some of the sauropods but i love this collection.

I hope you guys enjoy this.

[Edit: August 13, 2012, addition]

Here is the wooly rhino. I've got only 2 figures missing in the prehistoric mammals & birds range, alticamelus and eohippus

Paleona

Very lovely collection!  I love that you included a little back story, and the images are so neat and organized. 

The hadrosaur that looks like he's creeping along is awesome, he looks so sly.. what a great vintage dino.  The Nessie plesiosaur is very pretty, I really like the colors. 

(Also, as a side note... I wouldn't have noticed the booze bottles had you not pointed them out, haha ;D)

Bokisaurus

Impressive collection! Wow, so many rare Starlux!
I think you should just rename this thread and make it a Starlux one since you have a pretty good sampling. It wold be great reference, thanks for sharing :)

juju1305

Quote from: Paleona on July 25, 2012, 04:54:38 AM
Very lovely collection!  I love that you included a little back story, and the images are so neat and organized. 

The hadrosaur that looks like he's creeping along is awesome, he looks so sly.. what a great vintage dino.  The Nessie plesiosaur is very pretty, I really like the colors. 

(Also, as a side note... I wouldn't have noticed the booze bottles had you not pointed them out, haha ;D)

juju1305

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 25, 2012, 07:46:41 AM
Impressive collection! Wow, so many rare Starlux!
I think you should just rename this thread and make it a Starlux one since you have a pretty good sampling. It wold be great reference, thanks for sharing :)

Thanks Bokisaurus  :)

I will do so.

DinoToyForum

This is such a wonderful reference thread, I remember it from V1. Thanks for sharing your brilliant photos again! It tempts me to seek out some more Starlux myself. I only have a few marine reptiles including these sauropterygians:

Elasmosaurus:

Nothosaurus:

Placochelys (or whatever it is supposed to be):

deanm

Wonderful collection!  :) Thank-you for sharing.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the retro figures and these are wonderful!

Did you ever have the chance to buy the three pterosaur figures also? I particularily like the Pterodactylus hanging upside down in a tree.

juju1305

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 25, 2012, 10:14:53 AM
This is such a wonderful reference thread, I remember it from V1. Thanks for sharing your brilliant photos again! It tempts me to seek out some more Starlux myself. I only have a few marine reptiles including these sauropterygians:

Elasmosaurus:

Nothosaurus:

Placochelys (or whatever it is supposed to be):

yes I had shared this in the V1 forum indeed. If you are interested, there are quite often some starlux figures popping up in the french speaking web. Let me know :)

juju1305

Quote from: deanm on July 25, 2012, 03:34:25 PM
Wonderful collection!  :) Thank-you for sharing.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the retro figures and these are wonderful!

Did you ever have the chance to buy the three pterosaur figures also? I particularily like the Pterodactylus hanging upside down in a tree.

Thanks !
I never go the chance to get the missing pterosaurs. For some reason, they were never available at the store I got the figures from as a child. Maybe some day on the web :)

Bokisaurus

Yes, a Starluc thread! Thanks for converting it, really nice and informative. I will add the pterosaurs later :)

ZoPteryx

Great Starlux collection Juju!  I'd never realized how interesting those old figures were!

juju1305

Quote from: Zopteryx on July 26, 2012, 07:01:11 PM
Great Starlux collection Juju!  I'd never realized how interesting those old figures were!

They really are. The pre-dinosaurs and the mammals are really well done for the time (some mold date back to the late 60s and 70s) and the collection featured a huge number of different species (over 80) which many manufacturers fail to do today.

juju1305

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 26, 2012, 08:00:26 AM
Yes, a Starluc thread! Thanks for converting it, really nice and informative. I will add the pterosaurs later :)

do you own them Bokisaurus? I'm getting jealous now  ;D

Libraraptor

I need more Starlux! I love them so much! They´re pretty awesome!

juju1305

Quote from: Libraraptor on July 27, 2012, 09:21:47 AM
I need more Starlux! I love them so much! They´re pretty awesome!

Love them too :)

Bokisaurus

And here are some in my collection  ;D
[

juju1305

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 28, 2012, 02:58:58 AM
And here are some in my collection  ;D

I'm so JEALOUS of the pterosaurs and the wooly rhino :) cool pictures btw.
I see you have their v1 diplodocus, I have the v2 (but i'm in the process of getting the v1 as well)
I 'm also trying to get a green stegosaurus, mine is grey (the green was v1, the grey v2, though there was no change in the sculpt)

Bokisaurus

Those pterosaurs are a lucky find: cheap and undamaged ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: