News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Accurate Allosaurus toys?

Started by Katieraptor, January 15, 2018, 06:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katieraptor

Im looking for the most accurate non-kit non-huge Allosaurus model I can find. Preferably affordable. Suggestions?

EDIT: Crap, on phone. Put this in the wrong place. Could someone move this pls?
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

Joey

Accurate ones I know of are:
Papo:
Favorite Series 2:
Favorite Series 1:
Mojo:

Katieraptor

Mojo looks the best here. Papo has broken wrists and a boxy skull. The others are shrinkwrapped. Still not quite as good as i was hoping.
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

Blade-of-the-Moon

the favorite series 1 is the best of those options, the green Wild Safari isn't bad either. 

SidB

I recently acquired the Favorite Series 1 (2004) from Dejankins, very inexpensively, after a lengthy search for one. I'm amazed at its quality and accuracy, given the age of the sculpt. Of course, its not huge, about 1/50 scale  or so. Well worth getting. It balances perfectly on feet that are not absurdly expanded for balance sake, which is always an asset.

Shonisaurus

It cost me for eBay for $ 15 if I remember correctly, with shipping costs included. But for me it was very difficult to find it.

Now I just see that fortunately on the page of Dejankins are again available the old figures of Favorite, unfortunately when I bought in your store did not have that figure. The only figures that I do not see are his Deinonychus Favorite (two versions of painting) I'm interested in the special version, I hope that one day I will have it.

tyrantqueen

I like the Papo Allosaurus. It has superhero like anatomy (too muscular) but it's in a lifelike, dynamic pose. The hands are orientated incorrectly, but that is easy to fix if you're into customisation.

I like the Araki Allosaurus too, but it's too skinny. Araki is one of my favourite paleoartists, but I wish he would fatten up his dinosaurs a little more. He still sculpts them as though it's the 1990s.

I found a custom of the Papo Allosaurus that I really liked (sorry, I can't recall who made it) just wished they had fixed the hands. I would have smoothed out the chest musculature as well, to hide the boobs.

I hope that we can get a new Allosaurus from Safari, maybe even from the mystery sculptor...

Katieraptor

That's a nice custom there TyrantQueen (Good to see you again btw). The arms REALLY bug me though. I suppose Papo might be a good one to like, touch up though. I could probably fix the hands if I learned what I was doing haha. Maybe even give it a Dinosaur Revolution paintjob.

Wild Safari allosaurus has an atrocious color scheme and the skull is way too shrinkwrapped a bit on the small side. I have two of them actually, but I've never really liked the figure.

My Art

Reptilia

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 15, 2018, 03:54:13 PM
I hope that we can get a new Allosaurus from Safari, maybe even from the mystery sculptor...

I hope we can get it from Collecta next year, since they did a Torvosaurus in 2016 and a Ceratosaurus for 2018...

MLMjp

Quote from: Reptilia on January 15, 2018, 08:02:37 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 15, 2018, 03:54:13 PM

I hope we can get it from Collecta next year, since they did a Torvosaurus in 2016 and a Ceratosaurus for 2018...

As long as one of them made one, I will be happy.

postsaurischian

If you're into small figures, go for the Kaiyodo Dinotales or the Colorata. I like them both.

v  picture by docronnie

Joey

There's also this model, the Michael Trcic 1:40 scale Allosaurus. It is kind of rare and kind of expensive, but in my opinion it's all worth it.

Simon

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 15, 2018, 09:13:21 PM
If you're into small figures, go for the Kaiyodo Dinotales or the Colorata. I like them both.

v  picture by docronnie

Agree 100% with you Postsaurichian - especially vis-a-vis the Colorata dinos ... my problem came in my late 40s, when my eyesight got worse, making it hard to enjoy the smaller models like these ... so ... get 'em while you're young, folks!!!  ;D ;D ;D

IrritatorRaji

If you've got some money to splash, there are some good looking ones on Shapeways. They don't come painted.

(Images link to the listings)

( 1:72 scale )

( 1:72 scale )

( 1:100 scale )

Best of luck searching for good figures!

Blade-of-the-Moon

If you purchase the first Shapeways there it benefits the Dinosaur Park here.

Katieraptor

Yeah Ive looked at the Kaiyodo ones before but I dislike having to buy them off ebay instead of another site. Call me crazy.

There isnt a model that really captures Allosaurusness to me. I actually might try my hand at sculpting one.

While not entirely accurate, I like the new Allo model from the game "The Isle" so idk if theres anything along those lines?

My Art

Joey

Here's an Allosaurus skeletal by Scott Hartman for reference.

Blade-of-the-Moon

if your going by " feel" thats going to be really subjective.  Allos are my favorite dinosaur but i grew up with this as a toy :       and this as my ideal :    really hard to make work. lol

Katieraptor

That's fair. To me, too many allosaur figures look either too bulky or too shrinkwrapped. That kaiyodo mini is one of the better ones but then the skull looks like carcharodontosaurus more than Allo.

What's the forum's opinion on the PNSO Allosaurus? I cant post a pic cause on phone but a google search brings it up easily.

My Art

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Katieraptor on January 16, 2018, 02:02:02 PM
That's fair. To me, too many allosaur figures look either too bulky or too shrinkwrapped. That kaiyodo mini is one of the better ones but then the skull looks like carcharodontosaurus more than Allo.

If you can't find anything to your liking, I think the best thing is to wait. I found out the hard way that it's a waste of time spending money on something that you'll ultimately be unhappy with just to fill in a space. Something else is bound to come along. A few years back I was disappointed by the lack of good Iguanodon toys, but now we have Safari's version and the new CollectA deluxe. Patience pays off.

Sculpting is a good idea too (if you're good at it, lol :) )

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: