News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleonthology in my road trip!

Started by fred_faleiro, July 25, 2012, 08:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred_faleiro

Hi folks!

I am a Brazilian guy in the US this year for a study abroad.
I'll finish a summer internship this week, so next week I am going to a road trip in the northeast region of the US - Boston, NY, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago and Saint Louis.

I want to check everything related to paleonthology in these cities, but besides the museums and their gift shops, I don't know that much of places.
So... Any recomandations? =D

Gryphoceratops

Well as far as actual sites with fossils there is always Big Brook in central NJ.  There are literally small fossils all over the place there.  Literally.  Seriously you just walk around for a few minutes then *bam*, cretaceous shell.  There are also dinosaur bone fragments and large marine reptile bones and  teeth that have been found there but they are much more rare. 

DinoLord

Dave's Rock Shop is right outside of Chicago and is a great fossil shop. They have a lot of less commonly seen fossils for sale, and in the basement you can see an impressive fossil collection belonging to the shop owner. The store has quite a few Mazon Creek fossils for sale, many of which he found himself (the site is very over-collected and it's hard to find anything there nowadays). The staff are very knowledgeable too. They even have a UV light if you have any doubts about the authenticity of the fossils.

There's another fossil hunting site in central NJ called Ramanessin. There are many late Cretaceous age shark teeth to be found there. However, if you do decide to go collecting there you'll need a gravel sifter and a shovel (or something else for dumping gravel on to the sifter), as you'll need to sift through the gravel to find anything.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.