You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PhilSauria's Paleo Plastic Collection

Started by PhilSauria, January 23, 2018, 09:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

I'd love for CollectA to do an Anurognathus next. Not only does that adorable little ball of fuzz deserve love, it would be one of the very few instances where anyone's produced a life-sized pterosaur toy!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

PhilSauria

Couple of new arrivals.

Two more to swell the ranks of PNSO product on my shelves.
Been meaning to add this one for ages, and now I have.

Only my second Megalodon, there don't seem to be many to choose from out there. It has Tiger Shark style banding across the back which does not really show up on the promo images I've seen, and a surprising amount of detail inside the mouth. Looks best with the mouth partly open rather than open all of the way.

Jose S.M.

Is it me or they changed the teeth of Megalodon a little? They look less sharp in the promo pics.

Halichoeres

There are at least a dozen megalodon figures, but there aren't very many good ones, just the PNSO and the Favorite as far as I'm aware.

Isn't the Mamenchisaurus a beauty? One of my favorites from PNSO.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

The PNSO megalodon is better than the vinyl, in relation to the mamenchisaurus PNSO is a beauty and it would be good news if this emblematic Chinese brand made a version of this elegant sauropod to a size or scale similar to the one Safari did with its mamenchisaurus of the "Dinosaurs of China" in PVC material. In my case it would be a safe buyer of such beauty if it were to be commercialized.

In relation to PNSO mamenchisaurus is a highly scientific figure.

PhilSauria

Thanks for the comments.

As far as the teeth go maybe it's the angle, most of the promo pics show this model from the side, front on the teeth do look different.

Clearly I have not looked hard enough for Megaladon figures, but I must admit that's because it's not an animal I have particularly wanted to add to the collection. I have the Favorite and that was to complete their Prehistoric Life set, and this one because the PNSO take on it really appealed to me. I have seen their large vinyl Meg around a bit more lately and may take the plunge, as it were, on it, given that I have so many other pieces from that company now. Really do not like their large T-rex though. Wilson will be my next PNSO purchase I think, the new makeover is more naturalistic to my eyes and I never fully appreciated this one on the initial release.

KeU

Congrats on the new additions.
Does ErMa stand well on her base?
Wondering if PNSO added a peg for this release.

PhilSauria

Quote from: KeU on May 30, 2019, 12:45:52 AM
Congrats on the new additions.
Does ErMa stand well on her base?
Wondering if PNSO added a peg for this release.

Yes PNSO have added a metal pin to the base and no the figure does not stand well, even with the pin the thing is so front-heavy that it will slowly tilt forward off the pin. Well, mine does anyhow. So I have put some Blu-tack over the pin and put the figure back in place and that seems to be holding so far. I did contemplate placing a twig under the base of the neck, as I have seen done recently elsewhere on the Forum. It is a shame that we as consumers have to come up with fixes to apply to expensive items that should have had these issues sorted before going into production, but there you are.

It's just as well PNSO make such impressive models otherwise some of these things would matter more to me than they do.

Nimravus

Phil congrats on your new acquisitions. I fully agree with you that the Mamenchisaurus is an absolute beauty. I bought it as soon as it was released for the second time. This very week I got the old Megalodon, and it is another beautiful figure;D

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 29, 2019, 04:28:26 PM
There are at least a dozen megalodon figures, but there aren't very many good ones, just the PNSO and the Favorite as far as I'm aware.

And yet there's currently only one single review for Megalodon on the blog.  :(

What are some of the other ones besides PNSO and Favorite? I find it strange that there are so relatively few toys, given how popular Megalodon is. Whenever I ask children about prehistoric sea monsters, the first answer I get is always Megalodon.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Quote from: suspsy on May 30, 2019, 08:49:14 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on May 29, 2019, 04:28:26 PM

And yet there's currently only one single review for Megalodon on the blog.  :(

What are some of the other ones besides PNSO and Favorite? I find it strange that there are so relatively few toys, given how popular Megalodon is. Whenever I ask children about prehistoric sea monsters, the first answer I get is always Megalodon.

Part of the reason there are few reviews is that I do a large share of the fish reviews and I refuse to buy a megalodon figure. It almost always just ends up looking like a generic shark and we don't have enough remains to know what it actually looked like, so it doesn't hold much interest for me. But here are some megalodon figures I know: Action Products, at least three from Diramix, Yowie, the Safari of course, two from Favorite ("soft model" + vinyl), two from PNSO, and some others I'm forgetting.

(sorry to go off topic, Phil!)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PhilSauria

PORTRAITS AND A PURCHASE

Saw the Mattel Stegosaurus last year and passed on it at the time but it re-appeared last weekend at one of the toy stores that I frequent, only now marked down from $35AU to $19, so how could I pass on it this time? Unfortunately my suspicions were confirmed by the guy at the counter who said that they were clearing the JW stock and were unlikely to order more. He thought that because the movie was old news they would be less likely to sell these and was completely unaware of further waves! Has Mattel not even informed retailers over here?!

Matches up nicely to form a trio of large Stegosaurs, the others being the Safari Great Dinos Steg and a Chinasaur that I thought was pretty good, proving that not all Chinese made Dinos are either bootlegs or knockoffs.

Had some time on my hands the other weekend so I did a few portraits and comparisons, this group of Triceratops are the four largest of the two dozen or so strong herd of this species that I have accumulated over the years. The PNSO, Sega, Favorite vinyl and an unbranded Chinese creation (see comment above in regard to 'Chinasaurs'), the biggest of them all.

Also did some comparison shots with my recent PNSO arrivals, comparing the Mamenchisaurus to the old (and old-school by comparison) Safari version, then the Megalodon with the Favorite Meg and the Safari Dunk.

Killekor

Thanks for the photos Philsauria! I like both the new PNSO Megalodon and the Mattel Stegosaurus. Congratulations for having them in your collection!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Brocc21

Can you please post some pics of those Chinasaurs you were talking about. And what's the yellow trik?
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

PhilSauria

The yellow trike, which is actually more of an orange (maybe the lighting at the time did not do it justice) is part of the Favorite Co vinyl series, sculpted by their main man Kazunari Araki I believe.

I'll try to put together a group shot of the non-bootleg / knockoff Chinasaurs that I have later today.

PhilSauria

CHINASAURS

As requested here is a group shot of the Chinasaurs that I have that to the best of my knowledge (honest, officer) are not copies of or 'inspired' by existing figures from known brands. These are all unbranded. However I have read that the Tyrannosaur may or or may not have copied parts of the Rebor rex. I do admit to buying a couple of bootlegs back when I began seriously collecting ancient animals but I plead ignorance due to the fact that I did not know who all of the players were at that time and that there were knock-offs about. Both figures have since been replaced by the genuine article and wasn't the difference in quality evident. This bunch however are all originals and some of them are quite impressive, well they impressed me enough to buy.

Brocc21

Thanks for posting. I really like Chinasaurs for some reason. Probably nostlagia.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Shonisaurus

I am nostalgic for the chinasaurs of a past that will never come back, I was young and inexperienced at the time and I was satisfied with anything related to the collection of dinosaurs, I still like the chinasaurs as when I was a kid they bring back good memories.

Thanks for the PhilSauria photographs.

Lanthanotus

Follow your thread all the time, but did not reply for quite a while. Very nice additions, seems you quite increased your collection - not only sometimes with figures I'd like to call my own aswell :D

PhilSauria

NEW ACQUISITIONS

I have three of the new PNSO mid-size models due in the next couple of weeks but in the mean time I've had one new arrival and one new purchase. Quite an odd pair, the Apatosaurus looks a tad anxious about the critter standing behind it!

I've seen this one around of and on and thought it looked interesting enough to pick up one day, saw it again a couple of weeks ago and the price was right so I did. Doesn't have a brand on it, just 'Apatosaurus' and 'Made in China' (of course) The very obvious seam a pointer to the inferior molding techniques of the Chinasaur. Doesn't seem derivative of anything that I'm aware of. Not very scientific but I've never seen a Sauropod in a pose like this. Something about it appealed so I picked it up.

As the JW merch is getting a bit thin on the shelves in the stores near me and some sporting the dreaded clearance price mark down, I thought I'd better buy any that I had half an interest in while I could, before they all disappear and as this was the last on display where I saw it I though, literally - it's now or never. I'll grab the Ankylosaur next week as there are still a few of those about. But, barring the arrival of anything new, which looks unlikely at this point in time, that's about it for Mattel near me.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: