News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Slight mispaint on my new Ceratosaurus

Started by Atokensis, February 16, 2018, 04:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atokensis

Hey everyone,

I have recently bought a second papo Ceratosaurus, but there is a small white spot on the snout area. Does anyone know how I can fix or repaint this? Just a very small nitpick.

Thanks everyone!

Blade-of-the-Moon

a very small brush with just a bit of a similar color paint should do it.

Atokensis

Do you know if it has to be a specific kind of paint?  ^-^

Blade-of-the-Moon

for that much? I doubt the type matters really, i'd go with a flat not a gloss.

Shonisaurus

Atokensis

Yeah it does seem to be more of a defect than a little mispaint. It's only on that one side of the head though, but I noticed other Ceratosaurus' doesn't have this. I might attempt repaint over that spot when I have a chance as it is a slightly noticeable and embarrassing when I turn it the other way.

Reptilia

My Acrocanthosaurus has a similar spot on its snout, right before the nostril. I kept it that way, imperfections happen with handpainted figurines.

Atokensis

Yeah probably best to keep it the way it is, I'd probably end up making it worse as I have never painted a figure before. Thanks!

IrritatorRaji

My Papo Acro has similar white spots on the right side of its face behind it's eye. I kinda just choose to view it as a marking, or something like vitiligo (I know vitiligo doesn't occur in reptiles but I'm just trying to justify those spots, haha.)

SidB

You could snap up a few cheap chinasaurs, pick up a some decent paints such as Tamiya acrylics. some thinner and a couple of brushes - not expensive- and practice. Don't be concerned with making a few mistakes on theses, try different techniques (plenty of tips on YouTube) and have some fun. When you get confident with mixing paints and getting the precise shade that you want - correct the Cerato. You'll find it easy, enjoyable and effective in dealing with with the little errors on your treasured acquisitions.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: SidB on February 21, 2018, 04:15:43 AM
You could snap up a few cheap chinasaurs, pick up a some decent paints such as Tamiya acrylics. some thinner and a couple of brushes - not expensive- and practice. Don't be concerned with making a few mistakes on theses, try different techniques (plenty of tips on YouTube) and have some fun. When you get confident with mixing paints and getting the precise shade that you want - correct the Cerato. You'll find it easy, enjoyable and effective in dealing with with the little errors on your treasured acquisitions.

I agree, but I wouldn't recommend Tamiya acrylics for hand painting. They're designed for airbrushes and are alcohol based. A known problem with them is that you tend to get "roll up"- dried paint from the previous brushstroke gets pulled up. You end up with an ugly, clumpy paint job. I've experienced it myself and it was enough to put me off ever using them again.

You can get round this problem by using a retarder and a thinner, but honestly Tamiyas are not very user friendly. I would recommend something from one of the big hobby manufacturers- Vallejo, GW or Army Painter. They make water based acrylics that are better for beginners. I think it's helpful for a new painter to work with a medium that doesn't fight them.

SidB

Thanks, TQ, for THAT good advise, I just learned something that I hadn't known! I'd been using the thinner to overcome the problem that you mentioned, but what you wrote sounds really helpful.

Simon

I would use simple water-soluble, craft acrylic paint from a store like Wal Mart.  Anything that is alcohol-based or requires using paint thinners is more trouble than its worth for a simple little touch-up job on an inexpensive figure ... just my 2 cents worth ...

SidB

Appreciate your advice - good to have options.

Reptilia

I think that experimenting with repaint techniques and stuff would cost you far more than buying another copy without paint flaw.

Atokensis

I've tried fixing it but couldn't get it to look good as I wanted. Looks like I'll be getting a third one..

Unless...

Does anyone know if I can just take Ceratosaurus #1 head and replace it with Ceratosaurus #2, or is this not recommended? Probably a stupid idea.

Atokensis

With the mixing of these two colors (light green and yellow ochre) and a really small brush, I have managed to PERFECTLY cover up the little spot/defect on my Ceratosaurus's snout. Below are the below and after pictures:

Tools used:

Before:

After:

With this small ($20) investment for a small brush and a pack of 18 different small paint tubes, I have also alleviated the neck seam and darkened the eye area on my Allosaurus and fixed other minor paint flaws on other figures. I only needed to use a very small amount of paint, so these little paint tubes should last for a long time.

Here's the Allosaurus before and after (excuse the different lighting, these were taken about a week apart):

Before:

After:

Reptilia

Congrats on fixing your Papo figures, they really look perfect now.

Atokensis

Thank you! I'm very happy that I've alleviated it!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.