News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Allosaurus arm - now with photography

Started by Dinoreplicas, February 18, 2018, 12:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoreplicas

3D print available to buy HERE (http://shpws.me/PlQq)

Sculpted in Blender 2.79. Dry brushed acrylic for faux bronze look.
Available in the same scales as my Allosaurus skull - 1:8, 1:10, 1:12 and 1:16.

Main references:
Madsen, James H., Jr. (1993) [1976]. Allosaurus fragilis: A Revised Osteology. Utah Geological Survey Bulletin 109 (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City: Utah Geological Survey.
Gilmore, Charles W. (1920). "Osteology of the carnivorous dinosauria in the United States National Museum, with special reference to the genera Antrodemus (Allosaurus) and Ceratosaurus". Bulletin of the United States National Museum. 110: 1–159.

Thanks to Mushroom Imaging (www.mushroomimaging.co.uk/) for the excellent photography

tyrantqueen

I have this print in black high def acrylate, it looks great. I'm debating whether to just leave it unpainted because it looks fine without it. HDA is now my new favourite material, too bad not many artists utilise it.

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 18, 2018, 11:07:10 AMHDA is now my new favourite material, too bad not many artists utilise it.

Interesting, I usually think that black materials don't show the form well enough but maybe that's just a prejudice on my part. What is it about the look of the HDA that you like?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Strick67 on February 19, 2018, 01:52:55 PM

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 18, 2018, 11:07:10 AMHDA is now my new favourite material, too bad not many artists utilise it.

Interesting, I usually think that black materials don't show the form well enough but maybe that's just a prejudice on my part. What is it about the look of the HDA that you like?

I find the detail to be sharp and I like how smooth it is. I've always disliked the sandpaper texture of WSF. I'll post a photo of my print if you like.

tyrantqueen

Dinoreplicas

Nice highlights. Looks a bit glossier than other photos of HDA that I've seen and definitely a lot crisper than the WSF. Whether you decide to paint or not, the natural finish certainly holds its own.

I think I'll have to get a couple of pieces done in this material.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.