You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Revolution: my kingdom for a place to get this series

Started by Counterklock, March 12, 2018, 06:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Counterklock

I'm a huge fan of Dinosaur Revolution (despite its flaws) and am looking for HQ versions of each episode (but mainly Ep. 2) to screencap (as i'm considering creating an RP blog for Broken Jaw on tumblr and i need decent images dont judge meee). Does anyone know of a reliable online source i can buy the series from, ideally compatible with North American region locking?

Also: how does everyone feel as a whole about Dinosaur Revolution?

Libraraptor

tyrantqueen

I have some gripes with the series but overall I loved it. I did not care for the narrative, but I love the artistry that went into it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think all you find for sale is the rebranded series in film form Dinotasia unless that has changed recently...would have loved all the dinosaur animation scenes to be without a voice over option.

Counterklock

There's some very poor quality copies floating around on the internet (across Youtube and Dailymotion mostly) but I've yet to find the DVDs. I might look into Dinotasia, but I heard lots of content was skipped over in order to make it fit into a movie format.

Honestly, I really loved the coloring on most of the dinosaurs. The t-rex and it's 'death's head' white head coloring I found especially neat

Blade-of-the-Moon

yeah a few segments were cut, i dont know why, they could just added them as bonus features.

tyrantqueen

I got Dinosaur Revolution on DVD through eBay a few years ago. It's PAL, but my PC can play any region so it wouldn't matter if it wasn't. I have no interest in Dinotasia. The narration is better but I wasn't happy that some of the content got cut.

BrontoScorpio

You could just watch it on Youtube or download it by eMule etc.

Counterklock

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on March 13, 2018, 08:54:38 AM
You could just watch it on Youtube or download it by eMule etc.

The thing is though, I'm looking for better quality copies than the ones on youtube. And. I've fished around on torrent sites and was unable to find anything so far :c

Patrx

All the the copies I've ever seen available for sale are in PAL format, which could be tricky to use - but here's one on eBay. Watch out, however, according to the listing: "everything you though you knew about dinosaurs is wrong!"

Counterklock

Quote from: Patrx on March 13, 2018, 04:47:33 PM
All the the copies I've ever seen available for sale are in PAL format, which could be tricky to use - but here's one on eBay. Watch out, however, according to the listing: "everything you though you knew about dinosaurs is wrong!"

kgjhg that's honestly the cheapest one I've seen so far so I grabbed it. I'll get around the region locking using vlc media player.

(I can't wait to see all those facts we already know presented as new and revolutionary!!)

Patrx

I don't know the full story of how Dinosaur Revolution and Dinotasia came to be, only enough of it to know that it's kind of an unfortunate story. From what I recall, David Krentz, who came up with the idea and (along with Angie Rodrigues) designed a lot of the animals, had wanted to do something kind of silly, but with up-to-date dinosaurs. There were influences from Ricardo Delgado's Age of Reptiles, but also Looney Toons and Gon. It would seem, though, that Discovery decided to make something more documentary-like out of it, and once the animation had been finished (by an assortment of different studios), they shot some talking-heads footage and added the "high-tech lab" setting. After that, Discovery didn't even air the whole series, but pushed the back half of the episodes onto Science Channel.
Dinotasia seems to be a little closer to the original idea, but the narration is dour and ponderous, and it clashes a little with the animation. I have no information regarding how Dinotasia even happened, or why Dinosaur Revolution only seems to have been published on disc in PAL format.

CityRaptor

Is this just me or is David Krentz really unlucky when it comes to Dinosaur media ? I mean Disneysaur, WWD3D and this....all falling victim to executive meddling.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Patrx

It certainly seems that way from an outsider perspective  :( Almost like some kind of "Krentz Curse," sadly. It's a shame, too, his designs are pretty much always really good. Even with all the meddling that did take place, Dinosaur Revolution/Dinotasia and WWD3D both have really up-to-date animals for their respective times. The feathers in the former production are somewhat off for (I assume) budget-based reasons, if you compare that "Troodon" to the one David sculpted for his Saurozoic line around that same time period, you can see what he was going for.

Uncle Rex

In Canada we get Dinosaur Revolution on Crave TV and Dinotasia on Netflix. I like them both very much but  prefer Dinotasia, as the talking heads and lab scenes  are absent. The dinosaurs look good and I enjoy the vignettes, each one telling a story.

Shonisaurus

I sincerely recommend that you download it online. DVDs or Blue Ray (for those who have that application) that commercialize these series I think it has gone down in history since you can see it online.

In the store of the Science Museum of my nation they told me that now they do not sell those videos anymore and that they are not sold except for some exceptions, not even in the big video libraries, since now everything can be downloaded online. I would also like to see on a Dinosaur Revolution quality DVD but unfortunately in my case it is not commercialized.  :(

Counterklock

@UncleRex I had no idea that it was on Crave TV omg. I have neither Crave TV or Netflix, though, unfortunately

@Shonisaurus The trouble is, however, finding a place to download it online. It's tricky to find torrents of such an obscure documentary series

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.