News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Protoceratops' Art

Started by Protoceratops, July 31, 2012, 10:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Protoceratops

Hiya!
I've always enjoyed drawing animals and wild life - but especially dinosaurs (and dragons)! They're not much, but I'm trying to improve my accuracy and anatomical goodness (that wasn't exactly eloquent haha).
Anyways, here's a few I did recently:

This is the oldest - this time last year, so I'll re-do this I think. Generic Allosaurus doodle in a dip pen.

A generic Sinornithoide based off the quick sketch of the vulture I did. I love how birds scratch themselves so I wonder if maniraptors had similar habits despite their claws...it's cute anyhow! I'd love to know if this sort of flexibility was actually possible - I tried to keep the curvature of the spine relatively conservative here. Excuse that awfully straight right leg and the skin-tight featheryness oops.

For Pokemon fans - here's a Breloom as some sort of weird Sinornithoide again ala beak though.

A napping Styracosaurs

Okay, thanks for looking! Working on some new stuff so I'll post that soon.

DeadToothCrackKnuckle

Holy cow!!! I absolutely love your style! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

©Julius T. Csotonyi

0onarcissisto0

Wonderful! Just wonderful!
If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

Gryphoceratops

postsaurischian

:D  Beautiful!
How do you do the colouring? I'd like to see more :). Dragons maybe?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Love the Allosaurus ! ;D

And your style is pretty cool too. :)

ZoPteryx

Very cool style, great work! :D

Jetoar

Your breloom is lovely, I like it. I like prehistoric pokemon and pokemon likes dinosaurs  :).
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Protoceratops

Aww, thank you all for the lovely comments.
Working on some sculpture today - a Stygimoloch, Protoceratops and an Amargasaur in some really rough early stages. I'll take some naff laptop photos later although this is the first time I've tried out sculpture so don't expect much haha! Trying it out for yourself really gives you an appreciation of all the hard work, talent and hours that go into the toys and figures we enjoy - particularly the kits. I was grumbling over the £10 I had to shell out for just under 1/2 a kilo of clay so I dread to imagine the sort of investment that goes into much larger figures and their recasting...

Portrait of a cockatiel - I'd love to do a dinosaur portrait like this but all finished and not sketchy - one day!

Postsaurischian the Breloom Pokemon was coloured in MS Paint and Photoshop but the Allosaurus and Styracosarus were drawn on paper, scanned it and then coloured underneath the sketch with Photoshop. It's a lot quicker if I want to slap some colours on to do it that way rather than in markers or pencil.

I have some more Pokemon for you then Jetoar!

Sorry for the blood - is that okay for these forums?

And for anyone who's a fan of the game Team Fortress 2:

I think that's a Pyroraptor if I remember - another victim of my skin-tight featheryness. Ah well, how cool would it be to see a maniraptor with a hunting hood and jesse? Sounds like the sort of thing Gurney would have done haha

DinoToyForum

Gryphoceratops

haha CLEARLY you haven't checked out the other artists on here yet.  That being said blood and gore is fine. 

I always looked at acrheops as more of a microraptor-like animal being that it had wings on its legs and could fly.  Nice work never the less though.  I have a few dinosaur pokemon on my team in black version myself! 

Protoceratops

Hiya! I've been very busy since I last posted with moving and starting university...it's Christmas break now and though I haven't drawn as much paleo-art as I would have liked I thought I'd keep everyone updated.

This was a Tarbarosaurus...I think

Some generic/cutesy doodles:

Lunch-break Concavenator - it turned out rather cute looking...

Lunch-break Allosaurus:

Tried a quick head-sculpt of an Ekrixinatosaurus but the wire slipped from the tin foil - scrapped this.

I've also begun to venture into 3D modelling!
For the moment as I'm only learning still it is more satisfying to quickly block on something based on existing work so I cannot take full creative credit for any of these.

Bambiraptor based on Warren Beattie's and Ville Sinkkonen's drawings - one of the first 3D models I did along with a few shots at a Protoceratops and a Nanotyrannosaur...but they're rather embarassing haha
This is still a half-decent base though but the file has been left on my other computer at university so no updates forth-coming on this.

This was for a university assignment where we had to model a "character" based on a video game or comic book. It was a big toss-up between an Age of Reptiles dinosaur or this Styracosaurus from Dino D-Day but I remembered I had to do a "prop" as well last minute. I've actually "finished" this and handed it in (so it does have a nostril and gun now) but I want to refine it over the Christmas period. I'll post an update of this soon. After I finish it to the concept arts' look, I want to take the gun off and correct it...shuffle the nostril around, add some quills (I do like quilled ceratopsians), change the posture of the back and bulk out the hind-quarters of the legs a little.

I've today started a 3D model based on the SideShow Apatasaurus maquette - again just for practice and fun.

Jetoar

Cool draw friends. I love the real pokemons  8).
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

Gryphoceratops

You might want to change the styraco's front legs too. 

http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,1072.0.html

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice work there..ALLOSAURUS ! ..sorry I get like that around this particular species.. lol

Can't wait to see more of your work.

Jetoar

The new Schleich Styracosaurus have the same colors that you draw  ^-^.

Protoceratops

Cheers for that link Gryphoceratops - interesting read. I was looking at it today thinking it looked a little...doggish? Very mammalian at least. Do you think this posture would apply similarly to smaller quadrupedal ceratopsians (eg: Protoceratops, Bagaceratops - the ones where those crests and horns aren't weighing down the front half of the animal I guess).

I think I used the colour scheme for the Styracosaurus from Silva's Creativebeast Studio Styracosaurus? I can't really remember

Here we have a male Archaeoceratops oshimai dropping down to a quadrupedal posture in order to munch on some low growing ferns. Oops, just noticed the pronated hand.

And a Stegosaurus stenops with a juvenile jogging around I guess. 

Weaver

Aww! Oh dear, I like this. A parent taking their kid on a jog around the neighborhood. That's really adorable and it's such a nice lively image too.

Gryphoceratops

I would say so.  Most more modern skeletal mounts of psittacosaurus have the arms out as well.  There was another whole thread about ceratopsid posture. 

http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,1072.0.html

Protoceratops

Not much to show!

A Eosinopteryx bievipenna that I might re-draw - it's posture looks a little too upright for my tastes. Let's pretend it's standing on it's tippy toes to look at something.

Eurazhdarcho! This is the first pterosaur I've drawn as well! Tried a different sort of style - tried to go for a comic book or animated movie esque look.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: