News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mini Minmi's repaints (updated June 27th)

Started by Mini Minmi, May 07, 2018, 05:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

It looks great! I think part of why we like to see dark edges on eyes is that mammals have lashes. Reptiles don't of course, but if you want to bring out the eyes without eyeliner, perhaps just a touch of slightly darker tan would do the trick?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Mini Minmi

Good call, I think you found why it bothered me: the yellow of the eye is too close to the tan around it but like you said, too dark of a contrast as liner would be too reminiscent of eyelashes which is likely why it didn't feel right when I pictured it in my head. I'll see what I can do. Thanks! :)

PhilSauria

The dark around the eye has worked for Papo for many a year, just look at some of their figures.

Lone Trike

Quote from: Mini Minmi on May 23, 2018, 08:12:12 PM
avatar_Lone Trike @Lone Trike I am ashamed to say I use cheap dollar store craft acrylics. I wasn't sure I was going to use them, I only bought red, blue, yellow, black and white. I just mix them to make the colors I want. Since I'm enjoying it I'm thinking of investing into "real" hobby paints, probably Testor because that's what is more readily available to me.

I´m astonished, that the details look still very crisp, since cheaper colors usually have cruder pigments and dull the details after applying some layers.
model kits available at: Instagram at LoneTrikeStudio Shapeways

Mini Minmi

I experimented a bit on the only "not exactly chinasaur but still low priced" dinosaur I could find locally: the old Wild Safari T.rex.

Some experiments went better than others and I wouldn't put it down until I was at least more or less happy with it. Therefore, the number of layers of paint on that thing is quite high, which explains why the already not too detailed sculpt is even less apparent than it should. It also explains the shininess which should improve once I put a nice coat of matt varnish on it.

Nevertheless, I am happy with the few lessons I've learned:
- Do not use white gesso as primer, even if it's the only brush-on primer easily available. It will accumulate in the cracks erasing details and won't even cover the original color properly. Plus it started peeling off so really, no advantage whatsoever.
- I am not great at using watered down paints to blend colors for a base coat. I thought I recalled being able to do it on the minis when I started but this time it was a dripping mess. I'm more comfortable with stippling, I have a lot more control (but it's destroying my brushes).
- It pays to plan a color scheme ahead, I'm not that great at improv. :p

Dilopho

Hey, I think it looks great! You've got real talent doing this!

IrritatorRaji

It still looks really good! I don't like using the word "talent", but I have to admit, you really are talented!

Mini Minmi

Thank you very much, both of you.  :))

I would never have thought of trying this if it wasn't for all the amazing people (the ones who create as much as the ones whose enthusiasm is so catchy) on these forums. I am very thankful.

Tylosaurus

These look fascinating Mini Minmi!
AndI do love these the most tho:

Velociraptor:

a classic sculpt but your work gave it anew shed of life!

Dimetrodon:

Very cool how you did the off white face marking and the variation of reds in it's sail :)

Yutarannus

Very original and self thought paint scheme, probably the best you did so far

Indominus Rex:

You gave this I.rex it's original colors back, it's simple but it looks great! :)

Keep up the great work I'd say 8)

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Looking good! Very interested in the dinosaur in the background though... hopefully we'll get to see it more clearly in a future update?
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Mini Minmi

avatar_Tylosaurus @Tylosaurus Rev.A2 Thank you, but I can't take credit for the Yutyrannus' paint scheme, I copied the one from the Kayodo Yutyrannus. ;)

avatar_EarthboundEiniosaurus @EarthboundEiniosaurus Oh that's the Schleich psittacosaurus, I had just put its varnish on so it was hanging out on the table while it finished drying. I posted pictures of that one in this thread earlier, just before the t.rex.

Tylosaurus

Quote from: Mini Minmi on May 27, 2018, 03:55:22 AM
avatar_Tylosaurus @Tylosaurus Rev.A2 Thank you, but I can't take credit for the Yutyrannus' paint scheme, I copied the one from the Kayodo Yutyrannus. ;)

avatar_EarthboundEiniosaurus @EarthboundEiniosaurus Oh that's the Schleich psittacosaurus, I had just put its varnish on so it was hanging out on the table while it finished drying. I posted pictures of that one in this thread earlier, just before the t.rex.
Oh that's fine it's still your own style applied to it, looks super cool none the less 8)

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: Mini Minmi on May 27, 2018, 03:55:22 AM

Ah, thank you! I must have somehow missed that update, it looks spectacular! having recently pick up that model myself i'm just itching to repaint it, the lovely details are squandered by a very lackluster paint scheme in the original.
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

ceratopsian

I've just been catching up on our repaints (been on holiday!)  You have achieved some excellent effects.  I like very much both the Yutyrannus and the Psittacosaurus.

Mini Minmi

avatar_EarthboundEiniosaurus @EarthboundEiniosaurus If/when you do repaint the psittacosaurus, please share. I'm enjoying seeing everyone's version of it. It's got to be the most repainted figure in history. Schleich really didn't do it justice with the factory paint.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Hope you had a nice holiday. The Yutyrannus is my favorite too. :)

Mini Minmi

I finished repainting the Schleich oviraptor last night, but this time I was patient and waited until the sun came out to take a picture.

I based my oviraptor's colors on this beautiful art by Christopher DiPiazza. I liked how the base colors reminded me of ostriches, it seemed to fit a desert animal. And those markings are just so eye-catching.

And so here is my take on this oviraptor. I liked the blue "cheeks" and tongue in the art but I chose to tone it down a bit so my oviraptor's skin is more blueish grey. I also chose to give him blueish legs and hands rather than white to match with the "cheeks" skin.

Since I was outside in the sun with my camera already, I figured I'd also take sunlight pictures of my previous repaints.

I am out of models to repaint now. Any suggestions of good sculpts on cheap figures?

Thank you for looking, I greatly appreciate your enthusiasm and comments. :)

Jose S.M.

Beautiful repaints! That Oviraptor definitely benefits from make overs.

IrritatorRaji

It makes my day when this thread is updated! Awesome Oviraptor repaint, the sculpt it good but its original paint job does it no justice.

Halichoeres

Schleich has made some very good canvases this year!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ZoPteryx

Stunning work on these, especially the Oviraptor!  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: