You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

I got one:

Most Ornithopods SUCK. seriously, im sorry to God for making fun of his creations(no, im not a creationist, i believe in science too), but the majority of ornithopods are even more boring than a JP raptor.
In fact, i dont get it why people hate crocodilian/draconic features on their dinosaurs. They likely had them, and in my opinion, they are awesome. WHats so bad about liking bad- a** stuff?

Loon

What draconic features did dinosaurs likely have? Wings? The ability to breathe fire?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on October 22, 2020, 06:35:01 AM
What draconic features did dinosaurs likely have? Wings? The ability to breathe fire?
no no, i should had been more specific. I mean like spikes and sharp parts. Like maybe a spinosaurus spine has spikes so it can be prevented from being bitten

Loon

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 22, 2020, 06:36:55 AM
Quote from: Loon on October 22, 2020, 06:35:01 AM
no no, i should had been more specific. I mean like spikes and sharp parts. Like maybe a spinosaurus spine has spikes so it can be prevented from being bitten

Spikes aren't necessarily "draconic", plenty of real animals, mostly reptiles have them. But really anything similar to what your suggesting, at least to my knowledge, is not known for any group of dinosaurs. Crocodilian scutes and scales and sharp spikes are cool in a sense, I guess, but only speculative.

The only similar thing I can even think of would be the osteoderms found on some dinosaurs, and even then it's not that great a comparison.

Here's my latest hot take: Safari's Malawisaurus is one of the greatest figures of the past decade.

Stegotyranno420

Heres my cold take: the papo 2019 spinosaurus is the best figure on the market, ever(not including anyhing over 100 bucks)

Loon

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 22, 2020, 06:45:02 AM
Heres my cold take: the papo 2019 spinosaurus is the best figure on the market, ever(not including anyhing over 100 bucks)

Definitely a cold take.

Shonisaurus

For me it is also the best spinosaurus figure on the market although it is not the most scientific. Papo's spinosaurus is my favorite figure, that's one of the reasons why I have his picture on my DTF profile.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 22, 2020, 07:37:47 AM

For me it is also the best spinosaurus figure on the market although it is not the most scientific. Papo's spinosaurus is my favorite figure, that's one of the reasons why I have his picture on my DTF profile.
Actually its among the most, if not, the most scientific spinosaurus on the market

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 22, 2020, 07:54:22 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 22, 2020, 07:37:47 AM

Actually its among the most, if not, the most scientific spinosaurus on the market

For me my favorite spinosaurus is Papo's spinosaurus by far, sorry for the rest of the brands including GR Toys

Faelrin

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno I get that you like it, I do as well or I wouldn't have bought it, but it is far from being the most accurate take on it.

While the discovery regarding the tail was not known until after its release, however it wasn't far off from its actual purpose even if the anatomy and design they went with (eel tail) is off. Some of the teeth are over sized. The first digits on the feet are not weight bearing but instead are traditional dewclaws. Even though it does appear to be in a swimming or wading pose, as of the 2020 paper the knuckle-dragging pose is outdated as well. One cannot also forget the usual shrinkwrapping along the fenestra either.

However they pretty much got the rest of the proportions right, did give it the oversized claw on the first digit, and also gave it webbing between all digits (though there is of course no way to know currently if it was just on the feet only or hands as well. If I remember right, I think the most recent construction in the paper released this year has it on the feet only). I also applaud them for keeping the crocodilian integument to a minimum, only because too many have done it before, and it was getting stale to me.

I have a thread you can check for a summary on the anatomy of most of the Spinosaurus figures out there, and if/when the Safari version is revealed, as well as if CollectA does a new one, it will be updated to include them. Edit: I should probably add the GR Toys one now, and the new Kaiyodo Capsule Q figure, and once released, the Mesozoo one as well.

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8321.msg244056#msg244056
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

I didn't care for the Papo Spinosaurus from the moment I laid eyes on it, and that was long before the revelation about the tail. I wouldn't buy it on clearance.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stegotyranno420

Originally, i kinda felt annoyed by the Papo Spinosaurus. But then when the new tail discovery happened, i really wanted that figure. I also like how it was pretty bulky, while every other spinosaurus was shrink-wrapped/skinny. This one looked fat and healthy and muscular, so dense it would sink to the water like a hippo, but be able to move in it with its powerful limbs and paddle. So with a few minor problems, the papo spinosaurus  is still one of my favorites, as all of its innacuracies can be easily overlooked(unless if you are perfectionist or a snob)

Speaking of Papo and spinosaurus, I know a big portion of this forum hate/dislike reptilian dinosaurs(not including coelurosaurs, as they were definetly feathered, even to a small extent), but i dont care, thats your opinon. But why? (this is more like a question to a controversial opinion)

Jose S.M.

[quote author=Stegotyranno link=topic=6880.msg268975#msg268975 date=160338050
I know a big portion of this forum hate/dislike reptilian dinosaurs(not including coelurosaurs, as they were definetly feathered, even to a small extent), but i dont care, thats your opinon. But why? (this is more like a question to a controversial opinion)
[/quote]

What does reptilian dinosaurs is supposed to mean, scaly? As lots of people here loves ceratopsians, stegosaurs, Ankylosaurs, sauropods, hadrosaurs, etc

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 22, 2020, 04:28:26 PM
Originally, i kinda felt annoyed by the Papo Spinosaurus. But then when the new tail discovery happened, i really wanted that figure. I also like how it was pretty bulky, while every other spinosaurus was shrink-wrapped/skinny. This one looked fat and healthy and muscular, so dense it would sink to the water like a hippo, but be able to move in it with its powerful limbs and paddle. So with a few minor problems, the papo spinosaurus  is still one of my favorites, as all of its innacuracies can be easily overlooked(unless if you are perfectionist or a snob)

Speaking of Papo and spinosaurus, I know a big portion of this forum hate/dislike reptilian dinosaurs(not including coelurosaurs, as they were definetly feathered, even to a small extent), but i dont care, thats your opinon. But why? (this is more like a question to a controversial opinion)
spino didn't walk at the bottom of rivers
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Jose S.M. on October 22, 2020, 04:45:20 PM
[quote author=Stegotyranno link=topic=6880.msg268975#msg268975 date=160338050
I know a big portion of this forum hate/dislike reptilian dinosaurs(not including coelurosaurs, as they were definetly feathered, even to a small extent), but i dont care, thats your opinon. But why? (this is more like a question to a controversial opinion)

What does reptilian dinosaurs is supposed to mean, scaly? As lots of people here loves ceratopsians, stegosaurs, Ankylosaurs, sauropods, hadrosaurs, etc
1. Reptilian in this case means having some reptilian features besides scales, like dewlaps or osteoderms

2. I believe theropods should had been the better word. So i mean, mainly theropods

Jose S.M.

Oh I get it better now. I for one like some of those features. Once I made a theropod sculpt and it has a small dewlap. As long as they don't look completely out of place or go against direct evidence those features can make a figure stand out if it's a very standard animal, it's just a matter of not doing it too over the top.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Jose S.M. on October 22, 2020, 05:11:53 PM
Oh I get it better now. I for one like some of those features. Once I made a theropod sculpt and it has a small dewlap. As long as they don't look completely out of place or go against direct evidence those features can make a figure stand out if it's a very standard animal, it's just a matter of not doing it too over the top.
oh wow, i really underestimated(not really the right word as this is a opinionated topic, but you get the point) you guys

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 22, 2020, 06:07:56 PM
To me dewlaps are always okay, after all birds have them too and they look nice ranging from cute to cool.
Of course they don't have to be always there so some variation is kept but once in a while I appreciate them.
With osteoderms it depends for me, as long as they look natural I might like them, the only form of osteoderms I don't like is when they are copypasted directly from a living reptile, for example crocodilian osteoderms on spinosaurs are something I never really liked but a couple osteoderms here and there work for me as long as it doesn't go overboard and on some theropods, such as ceratosaurs like Carnotaurus, they honestly belong.
I honestly love crocodilian osteoderms

Shonisaurus

Unfortunately for me, I don't understand paleontology and I mean it, but I honestly like Papo's spinosaurus more than other spinosaurus figures from other brands without perhaps being paleontologically accurate (I neither affirm nor deny it) for a simple reason, its hyper-realistic sculpture and especially its size is large but not disproportionate and very bulky, on the other hand its repainting is great. Maybe I would like it to be the same as its prototype shown in the initial photos but it is honestly my favorite spinosaurus even if it was not scientifically accurate. I like it more than others, having other spinosaurus even awarded prizes such as the prestigious Prehistoric Times magazine such as the three spinosaurus from Collecta or even beautifully sculpted figures such as the spinosaurus from Favorite.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 22, 2020, 09:20:38 PM
I don't like the CollectA and Favorite ones either in all honesty.
I'll wait for the Mesozoo one and that one will at last satisfy my hunger.
I know this sounds really stupid of me but im gonna be a die hard papo 2019 spinosaurus fan

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: