You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 22, 2020, 09:26:29 PM
Nah, I already know.
I hope you'll get yours sometime soon.
Yeah Plesiosaurus nessy said sometime around autumm

stargatedalek

I don't think anyone has done a good Spinosaurus yet, including the upcoming Mesozoo and REBOR ones. All of them aside from the Swimming Safari one and V1 Favorite Kinto have unnaturally thin dorsal structures (I blame the 2014 papers accompanying reconstructions). But that Safari one has a lot more crocodilian influence than I like, and something about the posture of the ankles feels off, while the Favorite V1 Spinosaurus predates the new limb morphology entirely.

Aside from that, many of them are missing the enlarged fourth toe, foot webbing, all sorts of things.

Somehow, the same goes for Microraptor. One of the best understood dinosaurs and yet not one currently accurate figure, and only one (the Carnegie) that was accurate at time of release.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 22, 2020, 10:07:20 PM
Ah, snap, you're right, I should check if the Mesozoo one has that larger hallux (that one is the first toe, the counting for digits starts inwards), I totally forgot about that.
The Carnegie Microraptor was unfortunately also inaccurate when it came out, it has four fingers on each hand, I have no idea what prompted Rogers to do that.
I like the shimmer on the CollectA one but it screams shrink-wrap and the plumage is very tight and not very natural.
The PNSO one would be neat if it wasn't for the exposed teeth.
It doesn't have four fingers, it has three fingers and the alula that is well preserved in the fossils, something every other Microraptor figure lacks. The black marking on the tip of the alula seemingly threw some people off, but it's definitely an alula.

Faelrin

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek What about the Beasts of the Mesozoic Microraptor (aside from the fact it is an action figure)? Doesn't that one have the alula? I know it at least gets the tail right based on the one specimen out there, and the coloration give or take, and it has lips as well (I think it is the only one that does?). I know avatar_Sim @Sim forwarded a lot of things to David back during the kickstarter and pre-production of it, so if anything I would think it got that right, but honestly it has been a while since I checked it up close, and longer still since I did my review on it so my memory is a bit muddied on this. Maybe I ought to go do that again just to be sure. Honestly though I agree it is unfortunate that despite how much is known about Microraptor, companies still get some of the details incorrect, such as the new PNSO one. Same goes for Archaeopteryx, and of course Spinosaurus as was being discussed earlier. I'm really hoping the new 2021 Safari Ltd one can be the definitive one, when it comes to getting the anatomy down, at least.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 22, 2020, 10:07:20 PM
Ah, snap, you're right, I should check if the Mesozoo one has that larger hallux (that one is the first toe, the counting for digits starts inwards), I totally forgot about that.
The Carnegie Microraptor was unfortunately also inaccurate when it came out, it has four fingers on each hand, I have no idea what prompted Rogers to do that.
I like the shimmer on the CollectA one but it screams shrink-wrap and the plumage is very tight and not very natural.
The PNSO one would be neat if it wasn't for the exposed teeth.

The BOTM Microraptor is currently the best representation. It's a little too skinny and the feathers lack volume, but it's an action figure so the articulation limits its accuracy in that way. It has correct hands at least, unlike all the main BotM dromaeosaurs.

The Safari Microraptor is probably closest static figure to being accurate. It lacks feathered fingers and an alula but is otherwise good and has accurate feather volume. It lacks iridescence but that seems more of a stylistic thing since Safari figures usually have matte paint, even modern birds that would have glossy or iridescent feathers. If Safari simply repainted their Microraptor to make the fingers black and add a few touches of dark blue or iridescent looking paint here and there, it would be pretty definitive. (Though I'm not a fan of the pose).

CollectA is a close third. The feathers are a little lacking in volume and once again, same issues with the finger feathers.

PNSO comes in fourth. No finger feathers or alula, and it also has the crest that was debunked several years ago.

Microraptor is like the new Archaeopteryx. It seems like the more perfectly known a fossil species is, the harder time artists have of getting it right.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Sim

I still think the Wild Safari Microraptor has the alula.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Sim on October 20, 2020, 12:50:19 AM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on October 19, 2020, 10:29:42 PM
Probably not that controversial here, but Hadrosaurs are vastly more interesting than Tyrannosaurs, Allosaurs, Megalosaurs and most Ceratosaurs.

Baryonyx is a megalosaur!  Anyway, I'm going to have to disagree with you here with my controversial opinion: I don't get the popularity of hadrosaurs.  I find them so boring.
Baryonyx is the exception and is both fascinating in it's own way and special to me.
I don't think saying Hadrosaurs are boring is controversial, in most media they are nothing but meat sacks and instantly collapse and die the second a tiny theropod barely touches them.  My love for Hadrosaurs is partially because of that massive misunderstanding, I also find their stance interesting, their evolution including their teeth and bills and of course the many crests. Beautiful and powerful animals.

Regarding Microraptor  I have to say that I agree that there isn't a single Microraptor which is good enough despite several great companies attempting it and the fossil being so well known. Baffling.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on October 26, 2020, 06:01:43 PM
Probably not that controversial here, but Hadrosaurs are vastly more interesting than Tyrannosaurs, Allosaurs, Megalosaurs and most Ceratosaurs.

Baryonyx is a megalosaur!  Anyway, I'm going to have to disagree with you here with my controversial opinion: I don't get the popularity of hadrosaurs.  I find them so boring.
Baryonyx is the exception and is both fascinating in it's own way and special to me.
I don't think saying Hadrosaurs are boring is controversial, in most media they are nothing but meat sacks and instantly collapse and die the second a tiny theropod barely touches them.  My love for Hadrosaurs is partially because of that massive misunderstanding, I also find their stance interesting, their evolution including their teeth and bills and of course the many crests. Beautiful and powerful animals.

I understand where you are coming from, that gets annoying too, but even a torvosaurus can finish a shatungosaurus

I have to disagree, theropod diversity and evolution of the exact same features are much more interesting(my opinion)

Shonisaurus

I don't know if it is a controversial opinion on dinosaurs or not but I like the brands of dinosaurs that try or make precise prehistoric animals like Eofauna, Collecta, Safari, PNSO, Vitae or Itoy's paracetherium. I honestly find them more interesting than movie monsters (JW or JP).

MLMjp

Deleted.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 26, 2020, 06:23:49 PM
I don't know if it is a controversial opinion on dinosaurs or not but I like the brands of dinosaurs that try or make precise prehistoric animals like Eofauna, Collecta, Safari, PNSO, Vitae or Itoy's paracetherium. I honestly find them more interesting than movie monsters (JW or JP).
I agree with you Shonisaurus, but I have a problem describing even the JP dinosaurs as movie monsters. Here's why, just hear me out.

Jp made its dinosaurs in this certain style because they thought it was accurate for the time and were trying to be as right as possible. They were hyper-aggressive to show their "warm-bloodedness". to show how active and powerful they can be. The later movies are severely outdated, but are so, so they can keep the canon style. It'd be weird seeing all the dinosaur characters entirely different, so they just stuck with the designs of the originals. So what started out as a way to get people to learn dinosaurs the right way and not believe the sluggish giant kangaroo lizards and to belive  powerful crocodile birds, eventually became what it sought to destroy, a stereotype of dinosaurs everyone scoffs at

Shonisaurus

I suppose that JP also made dinosaurs that were genetically modified by scientists after extracting their DNA, that is one of the causes that these dinosaurs some of them have such a strange experience as you mention apart that these dinosaurs were made at the time based on the last scientific knowledge.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: MLMjp on October 26, 2020, 06:26:12 PM
My unpopular opinion is againts your unpopular opinions.

I find stupid to "reject", calling boring/uninteresting, or not caring about a group of (non avian/ extinct) dinosaurs, whether they are theropods, hadrosaurs, ceratopsians, sauropods... All dinosaurs groups are interesting in some way and deserve attention.
Well atleast i dont fantasize about hadrosaurs(you know avatar_Takama @Takama 's current signature says something like" a true dinosaur fan loves them not for what he wants them to be, but what they are), i try to find the good in them. Like i think lambeosaurus is cool. But lots of them are, for lack of better words, bland and boring and plain. Maiasaura seemed interesting at first, but that just may had been the norm of hadrosaurs, to take care of children in advanced techniques.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 26, 2020, 06:13:47 PM

I understand where you are coming from, that gets annoying too, but even a torvosaurus can finish a shatungosaurus

I have to disagree, theropod diversity and evolution of the exact same features are much more interesting(my opinion)
a Torvosaurus would stand no chance against a Shantungosuarus, or many of the smaller Hadrosaurs even, it was not built to take on Hadrosaurs and it certainly couldn't take one several times it's own size. And this is exactly the sort of thing I am talking about.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Stegotyranno420

If torvosaurus along with contemporaries like saurophaganax were bulit to take on the extremley large sauropods, sometimes on solo(altough these sauropods were often the size of shatungosaurus but much more bulit)
Look, i dont want to have a flame war or anything, you seem like a nice guy and i don't want to make more enemies on the internet, i just have a opposing view on a topic.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 26, 2020, 06:13:47 PM

Shantungosaurus was a massive animal, it would easily have crushed Torvosaurus, an animal at best pushing a quarter of its size, and which shows no adaptations to hunting animals larger than itself. You're welcome to prefer whichever, but that claim is simply absurd.

Quote from: Sim on October 26, 2020, 05:49:47 PM
I still think the Wild Safari Microraptor has the alula.
If it has an alula than it's placed on an incorrect part of the wing, it should extend from and along the length of the leading finger, and should compress along the length when not extended. Simply adding an extra clump of feathers anywhere on the front edge of the wing isn't accurate, nor is folding the alula back behind the fingers so they can be exposed.

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 26, 2020, 06:35:52 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 26, 2020, 06:23:49 PM
I agree with you Shonisaurus, but I have a problem describing even the JP dinosaurs as movie monsters. Here's why, just hear me out.

Jp made its dinosaurs in this certain style because they thought it was accurate for the time and were trying to be as right as possible. They were hyper-aggressive to show their "warm-bloodedness". to show how active and powerful they can be. The later movies are severely outdated, but are so, so they can keep the canon style. It'd be weird seeing all the dinosaur characters entirely different, so they just stuck with the designs of the originals. So what started out as a way to get people to learn dinosaurs the right way and not believe the sluggish giant kangaroo lizards and to belive  powerful crocodile birds, eventually became what it sought to destroy, a stereotype of dinosaurs everyone scoffs at
Jurassic Park made its dinosaurs the way it did because they wanted the designs to be recognizable, entertaining, and copyrightable. That last part ultimately didn't go the way they hoped though. I don't disagree about maintaining the designs, but many of them were decidedly not accurate for their time, and all the main ones were given gimmicks to their appearance with the intent of making them unique.

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 26, 2020, 07:08:34 PM
If torvosaurus along with contemporaries like saurophaganax were bulit to take on the extremley large sauropods, sometimes on solo(altough these sauropods were often the size of shatungosaurus but much more bulit)
Look, i dont want to have a flame war or anything, you seem like a nice guy and i don't want to make more enemies on the internet, i just have a opposing view on a topic.
They weren't hunting sauropods.

Flaffy

I find it hard to believe a 3 ton theropod would have a fun time taking on a 12 ton wall of flesh.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Flaffy on October 26, 2020, 07:30:02 PM
I find it hard to believe a 3 ton theropod would have a fun time taking on a 12 ton wall of flesh.

This is  exacly what im talking about. So many people over estimate animals like ornithopods, ankylosaurs, and ceratopsians, but they underestimate dinosaurs like megalosaurs and stegosaurs.
Look, like i said before, i dont want to start a fight, i just believe something different based on my own expierences. Im not saying you are wrong, im trying to say im right. I dont mean to be rude or anything. This is gonna turn into a bash-over-bash of evidence and scientific assumption. And this is a place where we dont do that. I dont accept im wrong, but im not saying your stupid. I just want this to be over before it gets ugly

Bread

Seeing these previous posts, I just know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, despite someone disagreeing with you. However, remember you can not spit out false information.
Anyways.....
Some more controversial opinions of mine:
1) Not a fan of CollectA. Only a few figures really speak to me, for example their new Carnotaurus.
2) Not a fan of Eofauna either. Yep, I said it and no regrets. I am waiting to see what else they release, but I thought their Giganotosaurus was alright.

I figured to add another post rather than edit my previous post.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 26, 2020, 07:38:15 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on October 26, 2020, 07:30:02 PM

This is  exacly what im talking about. So many people over estimate animals like ornithopods, ankylosaurs, and ceratopsians, but they underestimate dinosaurs like megalosaurs and stegosaurs.
Look, like i said before, i dont want to start a fight, i just believe something different based on my own expierences. Im not saying you are wrong, im trying to say im right. I dont mean to be rude or anything. This is gonna turn into a bash-over-bash of evidence and scientific assumption. And this is a place where we dont do that. I dont accept im wrong, but im not saying your stupid. I just want this to be over before it gets ugly
aside from Iguanodon I have never seen anyone ever overestimate an Ornithopod, its always the reverse. And Megalosaurs are often overestimated, especially Spinosaurus.
And I'm sorry but your claim regarding Torvosaurus is absurd.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: