You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 12, 2021, 03:34:26 AM
Copper and Paintingdinos and many others can be commissioned to do repaints for you.
The smoothness is due to scales being too small to be in any way noticeable in that scale.
Ight, thanks for telling me about em  ;D But I have to say, regardless of scale, the figure just looks a bit too smooth in spots. It might just be me though.

Also about the bases (from earlier) I prefer figures with no base. Unless the base is detailed and has a diorama look, I won't purchase a figure with a permanent base. It, in a way, sort of ruins the figure. I will, unlike some people, will take a tripod over a base.
An oversized house cat.

postsaurischian

Quote from: suspsy on January 10, 2021, 12:00:17 PM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 10, 2021, 02:12:11 AM
You're not impressed with the 2012 Brachiosaurus? I'd call that a controversial opinion, not in the same category as some but still

After nearly a decade, it's still the very best toy of Brachiosaurus.

I love the figure, but the very best toy of Brachiosaurus (Giraffatitan) is now being made by W-Dragon.

CityRaptor

But Brachiosaurus and Giraffatitan are not the same. Toys of the actual Brachiosaurus are actually rather rare with most being Giraffatitan.

Quote from: Gwangi on January 10, 2021, 01:52:46 PM
the pose itself was disappointing, with the neck awkwardly bent and curving down.

Wasn't that based on some study?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

Sincerely speaking of another topic. I know that my opinion is totally unpopular and I think if I remember correctly that I spoke in this thread in the past, but I repeat it again I like to collect and buy the different versions of a dinosaur painting for example I am going to collect the different versions of painting of the jinyunpelta dinosaurs and Vitae tiantaisaurus even the economic versions and I know that in my case it is complete nonsense I am also waiting for the versions without base in their two color variants of the Vitae tiantaisaurus and I will eventually buy the version without base of the jinyunpelta, taking into account that these figures are the same even without a base I know it is a waste of money, considering that with that money I would buy for example an exceptional figure from the other outstanding Chinese company that is PNSO, but in my case I like the completeness of figures to a maximum degree, such as buying the limited version of Gorilla Z from Rebor in bigbadtoystore, having the other three versions s for gorilla Z.

Honestly, I repeat, it is complete nonsense but from my point of view I like the completeness of figures even in the various color variants and even when they involve financial expenses that could be dedicated to other figures of my thought of that or other brands. In fact I have also commissioned the two baseless paint versions of Nanmu's giganotosaurus. I know it is a defect but in my case I cannot resist.

Gwangi

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 12, 2021, 09:11:52 AM
But Brachiosaurus and Giraffatitan are not the same. Toys of the actual Brachiosaurus are actually rather rare with most being Giraffatitan.

the pose itself was disappointing, with the neck awkwardly bent and curving down.

Yes, I suppose it was. Well I guess I can't take the Carnegie Brachiosaurus to task for that, even if I aesthetically prefer the B posture. Either way, I was disappointed by its size when it was initially released, I was really looking forward to it being 1/40.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Gwangi on January 12, 2021, 02:03:28 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on January 12, 2021, 09:11:52 AM

Yes, I suppose it was. Well I guess I can't take the Carnegie Brachiosaurus to task for that, even if I aesthetically prefer the B posture. Either way, I was disappointed by its size when it was initially released, I was really looking forward to it being 1/40.

Pretty sure all these neutral posture only neck studies have been debunked, or are at least highly controversial.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Gwangi

D @Dinoguy2, yeah, I'm not up to speed on sauropod neck posture anymore. I'll have to do some research.

stargatedalek

I recall a few, namely Mamenchisaurus, being recently regarded as having near directly upright necks. Which given the huge sections of muscle support they have makes sense.

If Safari had been a little more inventive with the armoured dinosaurs I think they could have been really cool. It feels like it was just an excuse to produce the most generic bogged down Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops they could. This could have been really fun sub-line if they did something like altered poses of the regular dinosaur figures with detachable armoured sections.

dyno77

Yes i agree with that the repaints help them but i dont see other companies doing this to the same degree. Even mojo fun has brand new sculpts every year and even though they are targeted at kids they still have some good pieces such as the triceratops and they trying to get better which is something i dont see papo or schleich doing at all....just gliding along with no real effort to improve any figures  doesn't cut it in my view..and the poses papo dinosaurs are in are just stupid...
I didn't mind papo until recently in the last 2 years iv saw how complacent and lazy they are becoming esp with there dinosaurs .The other figure sets they have of wildlife are some of the best,but when it comes to dinosaurs they are simply below average...as far as im aware this year they wont be releasing any dinosaur figures,just some prehistoric life figures...even bullyland dinosaurs are not as badly posed as papos...

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 12, 2021, 04:43:07 PM

If Safari had been a little more inventive with the armoured dinosaurs I think they could have been really cool. It feels like it was just an excuse to produce the most generic bogged down Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops they could. This could have been really fun sub-line if they did something like altered poses of the regular dinosaur figures with detachable armoured sections.

I think I speak for many when I say I would have vastly preferred two more regular dinosaurs or other prehistoric animals.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Lynx

A few more of my unpopularish opinions;

- Vitae is underrated and in some ways even better than PNSO.

- PNSO is a little overrated. I feel like people post reviews of their figures way too often and praise PNSO despite all the underrated brands who for the most part put PNSO to shame.

- The schleich volcano set is quite underrated. Despite the huge price tag it actually looks really nice as something to display your dinosaurs on or to decorate your shelves with.
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

Quote from: Lynx on January 15, 2021, 12:18:06 AM

- PNSO is a little overrated. I feel like people praise them too much despite many of their figures being bloody expensive and some even lower quality than their old figures.

- The schleich volcano set is quite underrated. Despite the huge price tag it actually looks really nice as something to display your dinosaurs on or to decorate your shelves with.
An oversized house cat.

Carnoking

Your comment here and on the PNSO thread made me remember another unpopular opinion that's been rattling around in my head for a while now, avatar_Lynx @Lynx

Vitae hasn't really impressed me for some time now. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they have made a return, but out of all of their original figures, the Giganotosaurus was really the only one I ever really loved. I think their sculpt work is hit and miss and their paint jobs are largely unimpressive in their application. I will say, no company even comes close to touching their work on bases, but the disparity between the realism of the base and the basic colors and sculpt work on the dinosaur itself is a bit off-putting to me.

Lynx

Quote from: Carnoking on January 15, 2021, 12:39:18 AM
Your comment here and on the PNSO thread made me remember another unpopular opinion that's been rattling around in my head for a while now, avatar_Lynx @Lynx

Vitae hasn't really impressed me for some time now. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they have made a return, but out of all of their original figures, the Giganotosaurus was really the only one I ever really loved. I think their sculpt work is hit and miss and their paint jobs are largely unimpressive in their application. I will say, no company even comes close to touching their work on bases, but the disparity between the realism of the base and the basic colors and sculpt work on the dinosaur itself is a bit off-putting to me.
I do agree with the "hit or miss". I can also understand why you are not too impressed with them. For me, it's just something about the style I really like. One thing that really attracted me was the diorama bases that were detachable, my dream had finally come true. Another thing I do enjoy is the little to no articulation (but that is not for everyone)
An oversized house cat.

Carnoking

Oh for sure, the bases are incredible, there's no arguing against that, and the fact that they are detachable is nice, but I believe you're forgetting the giganotosaurus, majungasaurus, and sinraptor all have articulated jaws.

Lynx

Quote from: Carnoking on January 15, 2021, 12:52:39 AM
Oh for sure, the bases are incredible, there's no arguing against that, and the fact that they are detachable is nice, but I believe you're forgetting the giganotosaurus, majungasaurus, and sinraptor all have articulated jaws.
Oh yes, I did forget about those. Honestly, I think PNSO is actually better than Vitae paint wise.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Quote from: Lynx on January 15, 2021, 12:18:06 AM

- PNSO is a little overrated. I feel like people post reviews of their figures way too often and praise PNSO despite all the underrated brands who for the most part put PNSO to shame.
I would not say Vitae is underrated, since they had disappeared for a bit. They are somewhat making a come back, but their prices are quite high for their figures, which ruins it for me. However, their Giganotosaurus is beautiful (the one with the base), and many people are starting to regret not purchasing it.

I agree about PNSO being a little overrated. With their recent price increase, I don't know how long I can keep up with the releases. Plus their final product lacks in quality compared to their promotional images/prototypes. However, many people have been wanting a detailed, affordable line of figures for a while now. I believe that is what has created the original hype for these figures. I love PNSO, but they do have issues like other companies.

Controversial opinion: In my opinion, we will never get a flawless company/brand. Maybe everyone believes this, but who knows?

Lynx

(I deleted this message as for some reason when I posted it the text was posted twice)
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

That is very true. At first I was going to say Eofauna was flawless, but then I remembered the giga. GR Toys is also quite close to flawless, but then again, some people don't like the spino for various reasons. I would say slideshow is flawless, but they are not really a figure-making company.
An oversized house cat.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Lynx @Lynx theres some problems with the quoting, just letting ya know.

Edit: Never mind, thanks for fixing them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: