You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 15, 2021, 01:50:13 AM
avatar_Lynx @Lynx theres some problems with the quoting, just letting ya know.
Good to know. I was quite confused when the quoting did not work.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Quote from: Lynx on January 15, 2021, 01:47:24 AM

That is very true. At first I was going to say Eofauna was flawless, but then I remembered the giga. GR Toys is also quite close to flawless, but then again, some people don't like the spino for various reasons. I would say slideshow is flawless, but they are not really a figure-making company.
Other than their Giga, I'd say Eofauna has issues such as paint schemes, not a bad company though. GR toy's Spinosaurus has a slightly accuracy issue, the snout is too short, again not a bad company. Sideshow's prices are almost, if not more, than buying a used car. I am not joking. Plus they do have their accuracy issues as well.

Again, these slight nitpicks of mine just represents my controversial opinion. There will never be a flawless company. Can there be one that is close? Yes, but is there one currently? No, everyone has their own opinions and sometimes even with a perfect figure, there will be those who may find issues with it. Which I want to note that, there is no issue with that.

TethysaurusUK

By the way, as an eternal Carcharodontosaurus lover, I think the Safari Ltd figure is better than the CollectA one. Yes, I have both.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: TethysaurusUK on January 16, 2021, 09:13:21 PM
By the way, as an eternal Carcharodontosaurus lover, I think the Safari Ltd figure is better than the CollectA one. Yes, I have both.
I agree with that
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

suspsy

Nothing controversial about that.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

I agree with that as well. Which is funny, because when it first came out I absolutly loved the CollectA Carcharodontosaurus. Now, not so much, it hasn't held up well for me.

Bread

I would also add Safari's Acro is superior to CollectA's. Both the Acro and Carchar from CollectA have that wide hipped issue that does not sit well with me.

Stegotyranno420

I'm gonna be honest, I prefer the collectAs over the Safari's both of them. But I understand where you guys are coming from, the colors on the safari ones are more natural

Gwangi

Quote from: Bread on January 16, 2021, 10:44:25 PM
I would also add Safari's Acro is superior to CollectA's. Both the Acro and Carchar from CollectA have that wide hipped issue that does not sit well with me.

I have to agree with that as well.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on January 16, 2021, 11:19:08 PM
Quote from: Bread on January 16, 2021, 10:44:25 PM

I have to agree with that as well.

In my case, I like the Carcharotosaurus from Collecta more than the one from Safari.

The Safari one is perhaps better from a scientific point of view but I like the Collecta one more as I said in the previous paragraph because of its size and I also like it more because of its sculpture. I have to be honest.

The dinosaurs and prehistoric animals in Safari are very nice but I wish they were a bigger size. I know it is a controversial opinion but I would like the Safari figures, especially theropods, to be of a larger size like that of other brands, Collecta, Rebor, Nanmu, Itoy (paracerathium), Vitae (giganotosaurus in this only case), GR Toys.

Some Safari figures, all wonderfully sculpted, many by Doug Watson, the best sculptor of our time, lack size, even some are quite small for my tastes, they suffer from dwarfism, for example the shringasaurus is for me the definitive figure of that very rare and exotic prehistoric repil but I would prefer that Safari not follow the scales at all. Another case is his 2020 concavenator.

I love large, non-scale figures.

Reuben03

new mattel blue plesiosaurs is THE plesiosaurus.

countershaded, straight neck, articulated flippers, and an attempt at a tail fluke. i love it.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Faelrin

avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03 It does have a few anatomical issues (notably the head),which I addressed in my review of the 2019 Battle Damage one for the blog, but otherwise the Mattel take(s) is my favorite yet, due to the unfortunate shortage of Plesiosaurus on the market, especially in recent years. In fact I'm not even sure if any out there are accurate (maybe Kaiyodo's recent CapsuleQ attempt a few years back?). Yeah I'm definitely adding it to my previous two from 2019, since it seems to have arrived in the states, so just a matter of time before it comes here. But I think the BD one may still be my favorite, partly because I made a friend after acquiring it, and the flippers are more posable, although the swimming feature on this new one, and the 2019 Savage Strike one are pretty interesting. Honestly, really their Plesiosaurus figures are easily some of my favorites in the whole line thus far.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Reuben03

Quote from: Faelrin on January 17, 2021, 05:20:11 AM
avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03 It does have a few anatomical issues (notably the head),which I addressed in my review of the 2019 Battle Damage one for the blog, but otherwise the Mattel take(s) is my favorite yet, due to the unfortunate shortage of Plesiosaurus on the market, especially in recent years. In fact I'm not even sure if any out there are accurate (maybe Kaiyodo's recent CapsuleQ attempt a few years back?). Yeah I'm definitely adding it to my previous two from 2019, since it seems to have arrived in the states, so just a matter of time before it comes here. But I think the BD one may still be my favorite, partly because I made a friend after acquiring it, and the flippers are more posable, although the swimming feature on this new one, and the 2019 Savage Strike one are pretty interesting. Honestly, really their Plesiosaurus figures are easily some of my favorites in the whole line thus far.
Perfectly summarized!

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

dyno77

Thats interesting point that some figures are to small,but iv read from other collector sites that say the collecta deluxe are to large .
This i dont agree with since the collecta deluxe are some of the best models esp the elasmotherium,and most of there prehistoric mammals are really well done and are the the best versions you can get apart from resin kits..
All of the main companies except papo and bullyland are trying to improve there prehistoric figures each year and eofauna is in the forefront of this with the most technical data on each species...
Papo really need to step up there game with the dinosaurs ,probably isn't a huge deal to them with there other lines doing well ,but as a collector i just cant stand the inaccurate and stupid poses on some of the dinosaurs.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Regarding the CollectA, I'm pretty sure it's because they keep calling their figures 1:40 scale and then the figures are much larger than that. For example the Ceratosaurus is around 1:25 scale but billed as 1:40 scale. The Styracosaurus is the worst offender, I think it is at least 1:15 scale but  billed as 1:40 scale. Almost no one can deny that they have some really good sculpts and have generally been getting better, and they put a lot of research into their sculpts.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Lanthanotus

Inspired by recent events, better to say posts,.... I am not amongst the ones seeking that legendary WWD Ornithocheirus. Sure thing is, if I`d find it by chance for a decent price
(no chance being located in Germany) I`d go for it. But rather than having it in my collection, I`d use it as a good base for a trade, as personally I do not find it too accurate
("thin upper arms, body too thin, chest too flat).

That being said... good luck for all those who are looking for one - keep in mmind though, if everyone of those wanting one, had one, it most likely wouldn`t be a holy grail anymore ;)

Stegotyranno420

I think the safari fantasy dinosaurs would be better if the medieval armor were replaced with modern weapons as a homage to the classic dino riders. And it would match the inaccuracy of the dinosaurs.

Gwangi

I like green dinosaurs, even though it is a cliche color for them. I noticed it while playing Jurassic World: Evolution, I frequently go for the green paintjobs. Not sure it's controversial, but I surprised myself with the realization.

Stegotyranno420

I honestly believe green dinosaurs are realistic and nice looking, and maybe even plausible. but not all dinosaurs work for green(mainly feathered dinosaurs)
Still green is awesome

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Not related to toys but since it is a controversial opinion, I think that all archosaurs closer related to the house sparrow than the saltwater crocodile should be called a dinosaur. That includes all pterosaurs, silesaurids etc...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: