News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

You're welcome ITdactyl

Quote from: Flaffy on September 24, 2019, 09:04:15 AM
Yeah, the huge price jump is weird. A 200% increase in price from the Zuni to the Mono.

I agree, though I can see it being an intentional marketing move (and quite a good one IMO) on David's part; having a price gap that big makes the Zuniceratops look like, to use an analogy, the budget menu of the campaign.

EDIT: New update, with all the stretch goals, the order they're coming in, and their prices: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-ceratopsian-series-action-figures/posts/2632731

Flaffy

All stretch goal prices:

Wave 1~

#1- Protoceratops andrewsi (Body: misc.1 ) - Unlocked at $170,000

Price: $70 Add on: $73 (US), $75 (Int.)

#2- Chasmosaurus belli  (Body 2.5) - Unlocked at $185,000

Price: $45 Add on $47 (US), $50 (Int.)

#3- Psittacosaurus mongoliensis  (Body: misc.2 ) - Unlocked at $205,000

Price: $45 Add on: $47 (US), $50 (Int.)

#4- Diabloceratops eatoni - Unlocked at $215,000

#5- Medusaceratops lokii - Unlocked at $230,000

Price: $60 Add on: $63 (US), $67 (Int.)

#6- Nasutoceratops titusi - Unlocked at $240,000

Wave 2 ~

#7- Einiosaurus procurvicornis - Unlocked at $250,000

#8- Regaliceratops peterhewsi - Unlocked at $265,00

Price: $55 Add on: $58 (US), $62 (Int.)

#9- Avaceratops lammersi - Unlocked at $275,000

#10- Wendiceratops pinhornensis - unlocked at $290,000

Price: $60 Add on: $63 (US), $67 (Int.)

#11- Kosmoceratops richardsoni - unlocked at $300,000

#12- Centrosaurus apertus - (body 4) unlocked at $320,000

Price: $85 Add on: $88 (US), $92 (Int.)

#13- Spiclypeus shipporum - unlocked at $330,000

#14 Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai - unlocked at $345,000

Wave 3~

#15 Xenoceratops foremostensis - unlocked at $360,000

#16 Albertaceratops nesmoi - unlocked at $375,000

#17 Sinoceratops zhuchengensis - unlocked at $390,000

#18  Utahceratops gettyi - unlocked at $405,000

Price: $95 Add on: $98 (US), $102 (Int.)

#19  Pentaceratops sternbergii - unlocked at $420,000

Price: $95 Add on: $98 (US), $102 (Int.)

#20  Triceratops horridus - adult (Body 5)- unlocked at $450,000

Price: $130 Add on: $135 (US), $138 (Int.)

#21  Torosaurus latus - unlocked at $465,000

Price: $130 Add on: $135 (US), $138 (Int.)

Shonisaurus

Most likely, I will only buy the kosmoceratops and protoceratops. The prices are too high for me, I'm sorry BoTM will buy the most affordable figures (if I can in the next few years) and I will risk buying the protoceratops and kosmoceratops because they are two rare ceraptosides in my collection.

Ravonium

From the comment section of Update 6 (moved it to this post as it didn't really fit in my previous post):

QuoteThanks! Only Triceratops and Torosaurus will have the keratin-covered, non-scaly, faces.

Just a question for the more informed members of the forum; is what David's decided to do here accurate?

Another more general question; if you don't want any add-ons, do you still have to complete the BackerKit survey after the campaign's finished?

Agen Kolar

Quote from: Ravonium on September 24, 2019, 05:26:55 PM
Just a question for the more informed members of the forum; is what David's decided to do here accurate?

No, it's speculative, and IMO a bit aggravating since no others in the line have the keratin covering. I would've preferred all or nothing, for consistency's sake.

I'm really disheartened by the cost of all the stretch goals. There's a zero percent chance of us reaching the end. David has to know this, right? I would've preferred he slimmed the choices down even further to guarantee us figures like Triceratops and Pachyrhinosaurus, which I believe so many of us would purchase.

suspsy

Those here who are concerned about the Kickstarter may wish to share their views on Creative Beast's FB page. David tends to be pretty good about interacting with people.

Politely, naturally.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: suspsy on September 24, 2019, 05:57:23 PM
Those here who are concerned about the Kickstarter may wish to share their views on Creative Beast's FB page. David tends to be pretty good about interacting with people.

Politely, naturally.

Yeah, any time I've ever talked to David he's been very helpful and kind, I'm sure he wouldn't mind answering any questions you guys might have :)

terrorchicken

Dang I forgot that Kickstarter doesn't take PayPal. Do they take like those Vanilla Visa gift cards they sell at grocery and drug stores?

another question, if I pledge for say the zuniceratops but I really want one of the stretch goals like the diabloceratops, do I still have to buy the zuniceratops or can I change it to only have to buy the diablo later when I fill out the backerkit survey? I know I wont be charged until the surveys are complete.

Faelrin

I think he said there would be new tiers made for the stretch goals if unlocked in a comment in one of the updates so people can pledge for something temporarily and switch it if unlocked.

Edit: It wasn't a comment. It was part of the info given in the Psittacosaurus update here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-ceratopsian-series-action-figures/posts/2630293

QuoteSeveral people have asked if the stretch goal items will be available as their own tier level once they are unlocked, and the answer is yes. In addition, as more figures are unlocked, it will create new opportunities for bundle tier options such as a '1/6th scale tier' or other combinations.

Also I should mention that my expectations of these prices were close to what I thought they would be about after using the Protoceratops to get an idea with its size and price. While it will still ultimately come down to what stretch goals are unlocked, unless they all are, I think I can plan out when to spend on them, now that have an idea of the prices and the waves the figures are intended to ship in. At the very least for now I'm still keeping my pledge where it is to accommodate the first four and the print, since I'll be lucky to afford that when the campaign ends anyways.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

tanystropheus

We should ALL support the campaign! At least, pick up the Zuni, it is ridiculously cheap! ;D

P.S: I was really hoping that the Chasmosaurus would have the same gorgeous colors of the Dino Riders version  :-\

suspsy

$138 for adult Triceratops or Torosaurus, eh? That's steep, but it strikes me as reasonable given their size. And it's definitely sad knowing that they won't be out for a whole two years, but certainly understandable given the scope of this project.

And if that means shelling out $150 for a BotM Tyrannosaurus rex even further down the road, then so be it!

Ravonium

Politely, naturally.

Thanks for the advice, although I'm curious as to why you chose me and Agen Kolar's discussion, and not any of the previous discussions concerned about aspects of the project, to respond to with this... ???

suspsy

Quote from: Ravonium on September 24, 2019, 09:00:49 PM

Politely, naturally.

Thanks for the advice, although I'm curious as to why you chose me and Agen Kolar's discussion, and not any of the previous discussions concerned about aspects of the project, to respond to with this... ???

I didn't "choose" anyone. I simply noticed that there's been a lot of concern expressed in this thread lately with regard to the Kickstarter, and so I suggested bringing those concerns directly to Creative Beast. There's no need to read any further into that.

tanystropheus

Ravonium

Quote from: suspsy on September 24, 2019, 09:17:39 PM
I didn't "choose" anyone. I simply noticed that there's been a lot of concern expressed in this thread lately with regard to the Kickstarter, and so I suggested bringing those concerns directly to Creative Beast. There's no need to read any further into that.

Ah, I see; I momentarily read the initial post in too specific of a tone - no further comments.

ZoPteryx

Nice big push today, less than 20K to go!  Btw, David mentioned in the comments that if any of the stretch goals are not met then they will NOT be produced for later sale, at least not any time soon.

With a tyrannosaur campaign on the (distant) horizon, I thought people might be interested to know which ceratopsians coexisted with which tyrannosaurs.  Might help those like me who are trying to narrow their options.  Gotta get those predator prey pairs! ;)  So here's a little list organized by tyrannosaurs since there's less of them.

Suskityrannus --> Zuniceratops
Albertosaurus --> Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai, Regaliceratops
Gorgosaurus --> Centrosaurus/Monoclonius, Chasmosaurus belli, Einiosaurus, Styracosaurus
Bistahieversor --> Pentaceratops
Lythronax --> Diabloceratops
Teratophoneus --> Kosmoceratops, Nasutoceratops, Utahceratops
Daspletosaurus torosus --> Albertaceratops, Centrosaurus*/Monoclonius*, Chasmosaurus belli*, Spiclypeus*, Styracosaurus*, Wendiceratops
Daspletosaurus horneri --> Einiosaurus
Zhuchengtyrannus --> Sinoceratops
Tyrannosaurus --> Triceratops, Torosaurus

*it's not positive if these taxa occurred with D. torosus specifically

I also have a more complete list including ceratopsians not in the campaign if anyone's interested.

Appalachiosaurus

Jeez, those are expensive. I was thinking of getting a few but I guess I'm going to have to limit myself to one or two. That is if the ones I want are unlocked, the first Kickstarter had the novelty of being one of the few rare feathered dromeosaur figures, but there are tons of great Ceratopsian toys out there.

suspsy

Quote from: ZoPteryx on September 25, 2019, 07:56:51 AM

With a tyrannosaur campaign on the (distant) horizon, I thought people might be interested to know which ceratopsians coexisted with which tyrannosaurs.  Might help those like me who are trying to narrow their options.  Gotta get those predator prey pairs! ;)  So here's a little list organized by tyrannosaurs since there's less of them.

Gorgosaurus --> Centrosaurus/Monoclonius, Chasmosaurus belli, Einiosaurus, Styracosaurus
Daspletosaurus torosus --> Albertaceratops, Centrosaurus*/Monoclonius*, Chasmosaurus belli*, Spiclypeus*, Styracosaurus*, Wendiceratops

Gorgosaurus also coexisted with Albertaceratops, Avaceratops, Medusaceratops, and Spiclypeus in the Judith River Formation of Montana.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: ZoPteryx on September 25, 2019, 07:56:51 AM
Nice big push today, less than 20K to go!  Btw, David mentioned in the comments that if any of the stretch goals are not met then they will NOT be produced for later sale, at least not any time soon.

I also have a more complete list including ceratopsians not in the campaign if anyone's interested.

Just as a minor correction, Lythronax is only found in the lower Wahweap Formation while Diabloceratops is from the mid-upper, so they didn't coexist. There is another ceratopsid (UMNH VP 20600) that lived alongside Lythronax but it is unnamed.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Faelrin

avatar_ZoPteryx @ZoPteryx Really good list there. I was familiar with some of these pairings but not all of them. I really hope those would be chosen, along with Tarbosaurus and maybe some others. I would certainly also like to see some tyrannosauroids like Dilong, Guanlong, and Yutyrannus.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: