News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

painting shapeways

Started by jayjaym, August 06, 2012, 02:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayjaym

what is the best paint to use on shapeways?

copper

acrylic paint works best for me.

Gryphoceratops

I agree.  I use acrylic but I put a light primer on them first. 

tyrantqueen

Do you mean brand, or type of paint (like oils, acrylics, enamels etc)

Like everyone else I prefer acrylic cause of its cheapness, ease of cleaning, and wide colour range. My preferred brand is Vallejo acrylics :)

jayjaym

Bokisaurus

Like everyone else, I use acrylic. If you do, just make sure to dilute it to thin it out (almost like watercolor). This will apply the paint better. Depending on the material, the WSF is like a foam in that it absorb the paint, but you can create cool design with it. Good luck, looking forward to seeing your finished figure.

krentz

For the love of Peet. Do NOT use a laquer based paint on the ultra detail material. It will never dry and perhaps melt the piece over time!
DK

tyrantqueen

Quote from: krentz on August 22, 2012, 01:27:11 AM
For the love of Peet. Do NOT use a laquer based paint on the ultra detail material. It will never dry and perhaps melt the piece over time!
DK
Ummm....laquer based paints are the kind that people use to paint/spray cars right? I hope artist acrylics don't fall into that category :X

Argentavis

i´m also using vallejo acrylics, it works very well.

Himmapaan

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 22, 2012, 06:21:42 AM
I hope artist acrylics don't fall into that category :X
They don't. :)

Gryphoceratops

DK
Ummm....laquer based paints are the kind that people use to paint/spray cars right? I hope artist acrylics don't fall into that category :X

I use artist acrylics.  Its fine.   :)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on September 05, 2012, 01:37:06 PM
DK

I use artist acrylics.  Its fine.   :)
Just wondering, for you guys who use fine art acrylics, which is your preferred brand? I like Liquitex Soft Body and Golden Fluid Acrylics. They're useful because they come in really large tubes and bottles, so they last a long time.

Gryphoceratops

The kind I use is called "GOLDEN fluid acrylics".  They come in large tubes or small bottles.  They have never failed me.  I use them for other 2D paintings as well.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.