News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpartanSquat

Wow what a surprise!
-Allosaurus: A new Allosaurus was in my wishlit, colours and sculpt are simple but it works like The Isle Allosaurus
-Spinosaurus: I didnt expected too soon due its in the talk how this boi looks, but I like the crocodilian look!
-Stegosaurus: Like allosaurus.
-T-rex repaint: Why this figure is still circulating? Its a really old one and we have 2 cool rexes.

tanystropheus

Quote from: mgaguilar on September 27, 2018, 03:03:37 AM
HOLY...

2019 is going to be an absurd year for collectors and dino-fans alike. Especially Spinosaurus fans *cough* avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji
I am no doubt purchasing the two theropods. Can't wait to see a comparison of the Schleich and Safari scientific reconstructions. With Rebor also releasing theirs soon.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 26, 2018, 10:38:52 PM
This T. rex is also listed on Safari Ltds's Facebook page. I don't immediately recognise it, is it new for 2019?

This sculpt NEEDS to be retired already. And this is coming from the person that has ALL the paint variations.
Why can't they just repaint the newer Tyrannosaurus of the same size. That one could use a bit of nice touching up.

It needs to be retired before REBOR fans run amok with comparisons  ;D

tanystropheus

Quote from: RolandEden on September 27, 2018, 03:20:08 AM
Wow what a surprise!
-Allosaurus: A new Allosaurus was in my wishlit, colours and sculpt are simple but it works like The Isle Allosaurus
-Spinosaurus: I didnt expected too soon due its in the talk how this boi looks, but I like the crocodilian look!
-Stegosaurus: Like allosaurus.
-T-rex repaint: Why this figure is still circulating? Its a really old one and we have 2 cool rexes.

I like the sculpt of the Allosaurus but the colors are too sharply demarcated for my taste. It needs better blending.
The Spinosaurus is gorgeous and I like the fact that both WS and Schleich have given it a crocodilian-like tail. I will be picking up both versions as they are obvious improvements over the CollectA. Props to CollectA for starting the trend. Unfortunately, their choice of green was too gaudy.
I like the fact that the Stegosaurus looks like a big, bulky figure. It seems like a believable model.

Halichoeres

I actually really like the pattern on the Allo. Many reptiles don't really go in for blending (pythons and pit vipers, for example), so I like having that variety reflected in my dinos.

I noticed the FB shop does not have the Prestosuchus or the Styracosaurus. I imagine they'll show up tomorrow, but I'm not confident there will be any other additions. 9 is a pretty solid number--lower than the last couple of years, but higher than what Safari had been putting out previous to 2016. I'm pretty happy with this assortment as is, but of course I'll be pleasantly surprised if there are additional surprises.

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ITdactyl

I don't collect big theropods, but that allosaurus got my attention.

I prefer Schleich's attempt at spinosaurus more... a moot vote though as the allo fills my theropod quota.

I am torn with the stegosaurus.  It is beautiful.  It's what I've been waiting for.  It's a very up-to-date sculpt (Sophie!).  Yet (and this is just a very personal preference) I was hoping for more gnarly, exaggerated armor, scales, etc.  I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm tired of smooth stegosaurs.  A lot of armored animals have a bumps, scutes, etc. surrounding the bigger spines, scales and plates.  In toy (and art) depictions of stegosaurs, it's always with the plates and thagomizers errupting from relatively smooth (of course still scaly) skin.  I am aware that aside from the plates, thagomizers and throat "armor", we don't have any fossilized proof yet of other rough bits on a stegosaur hide - but to me it just makes sense.

'Guess I'm getting 2 stegosaurs for 2019. ;D ;D ;D  'Still very happy.

Thank you Safari.  Now, an updated Pteranodon please....

Faelrin

Yeah I'm totally fine with there only being nine new additions this year considering how many of them are fan favorite species (three of them being Jurassic Morrison formation creatures). Of course if there's more, chances are I'll want them, but this is a very good selection. Now I just have to wait for them to come out and for me to have money to order them. I'm also curious to see what CollectA and Papo (as well as Mattel) have in store for 2019, but those are probably ways off now. Either way 2019 is shaping up to be another great year for prehistoric creature collectors.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Oh my, what have we here?  ^-^
The spinosaurus looks awesome, Schleich's definitely got some competition this year ;). Love the colours and patterns on him.
The allo and the stego on the other hand... Something looks a bit, off about them. They both just look so smooth, especially the stegosaurus. Hopefully it's just the photos not capturing all the fine skin detail.
The colour scheme and patterns on the Allo is nice. Really like how bold it is.
The stego's colours are pretty bland though, same can be said for the pose.

Also found this, the Stego's colour scheme looks so much better on the catalog shot.

ruochuan

Looks like Camarasaurus & Styracosaurus will be all I am getting from Safari for 2019.

The three new unveils just don't do it for me. Not saying they are not good figures, I am just not feeling anything, very bland. Nothing makes me excited like the Camarasaurus. Camarasaurus is just awesome, and by "awesome" I mean feathered T-Rex awesome, Giganotosaurus awesome.

Safari's paint job has been barely getting a passing grade from me, both in art style and application. It begs the question: what are they thinking?

Having recently bought Favorite softmodel & Dinostoreus Spinosaurus, I am good in the Spino department. Only addition will be Schleich Spino, now that is an exciting model.
My dinosaur model pictures:
http://seattlesaurus.tumblr.com

stargatedalek

That black and white dragon wasn't in the reveal they showed for the "dragons and myths" line. Could there be more than what they've been showing for each line so far? Or was that the formerly non-dragon myth line and it now has dragons in it?

ItsTwentyBelow

Have to say, I'm with the less impressed folks on these. Not that they aren't good, but I have soooo many Allosaurus and Stegosaurus figures by now. I think Steg is my favorite here for the updated reconstruction. The Allosaurus already looks like it will be prone to face-planting. I still like my 1:40 green Safari Allosaurus, and it has always balanced on two feet perfectly.

The Schleich Spinosaurus is superior to this one in my opinion, and will be the one I get. This Safari one is a decent attempt, but the lower jaw looks chunky to me and the swimming posture immediately inhibits most diorama potential.

Hope there's more to come...

IrritatorRaji

2019 is going to be an absurd year for collectors and dino-fans alike. Especially Spinosaurus fans *cough* avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji

Two Spinosaurus?

In one year?

Both scientifically accurate?

Has Christmas come early??!!

mgaguilar

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on September 27, 2018, 06:52:54 AM

Two Spinosaurus?

In one year?

Both scientifically accurate?

Has Christmas come early??!!

avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji
Best use of the Andy Dwyer excitement face reaction gif I've seen yet.
But actually. It's three, if Rebor decides to compete.

And yes I am SO EXCITED FOR THESE RELEASES.

Spinosaurus

I love the Favorite vibe I get from the pose; not quite as dynamic, but a solid pose for sure.

Minmiminime

Ah, nice line-up ;D I'm very happy with the Allosaurus. The Stegosaurus is lovely, not really what I'm looking for in a Stegosaurus model but I'll definitely get it! Apart from that, I'm starting to get Spinosaurus and Tyrannosaurus fatigue. I have the CollectA and Favorite Spinosaurus's, and this is a stunning rendition but doesn't offer enough to persuade me when I have two which are so similar
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

My favorite figures are the allosaurus and spinosaurus of Safari 2019 apart from the other figures made by Doug Watson.

Safari 2019 spinosaurus I like very much with his pose and will make very good company with other figures of other companies such as the spinosaurus Schleich 2019.

Safari 2019 Allosaurus is for me a long-awaited figure because to date I do not have an allosaurus that would convince me at collector level. I applaud the decision of Safari to do this year an allosaurus that for me is the best that has made any company is a point in favor of Safari.

The 2019 Safari stegosaurus is an updated figure but in its case perhaps because of the painting or the pose it does not fit me in relation to the idea that I have about those dinosaurs armed with plates but I am sure that it is one hundred percent scientific.

I sincerely am very happy that they have made nine figures this year Safari. I think that is enough in regard to this year. I value quality more than quantity, so for me it has been an excellent year for Safari. I would have liked prehistoric animals, not dinosaurs, but I understand that the Safari brand for commercial purposes will know more about the preferences of the buyers of their figures.

Honestly I would have liked Safari to have made more prehistoric animal figures this year, but obviously I'm not going to amend the flat to one of my favorite companies.

In short it has been a year like all the previous ones outstanding for Safari.

DragonRider02

Aw, no Pterosaurs:C

But love the Allosaurus' colors! The spino is nice too but I prefer the Schleich (I can't believe I said it) and CollectA ones. The Stegosaurus though looks kinda too cartoon-ish. I need to see In-hand photos.

Shonisaurus

For me the best figure of the three is the Allosaurus Safari 2019, it is the best of its kind made in toy dinosaur figure.

The Safari 2019 spinosaurus is very good, outstanding, as I say but perhaps because of its dynamic swimming posture, that is to say its pose I sincerely like it but I prefer the spinosaurus of Schleich with all the respect to the company of Safari and its sculptor. His figure is very nice and cool but I like the spinosaurus of that brand more.

As for the stegosaurus his figure is very good but I honestly do not fit him as the stegosaurus that I would like him to do a company as a figure. His colors are beautiful, although he prefers more conservative paint colors and I recognize that he is superior to his predecessors but from my ignorance I would prefer a dynamic figure yes but more in keeping with the image I have of the stegosaurus. That does not mean that I am a great figure and that it is hasty for me to judge (I may change my mind over time) but I am not totally convinced regardless of whether it is the best figure ever made of stegosaurus made by Carnegie / Safari in his whole story I like more his predecessor of the line Safari seems to me a more realistic stegosaurus.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 27, 2018, 10:45:24 AMI am not totally convinced regardless of whether it is the best figure ever made of stegosaurus made by Carnegie / Safari in his whole story I like more his predecessor of the line Safari seems to me a more realistic stegosaurus.
Whilst I can understand you liking the retro Stegosaurus more, I don't understand how you can say the old chimera Stegosaurus can possible be a more realistic Stegosaurus than this one, which is based on an actual Stegosaurus.
Unless of course, you're just talking about the colour scheme, in which case ignore what I've just said.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on September 27, 2018, 10:58:39 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 27, 2018, 10:45:24 AMI am not totally convinced regardless of whether it is the best figure ever made of stegosaurus made by Carnegie / Safari in his whole story I like more his predecessor of the line Safari seems to me a more realistic stegosaurus.
Whilst I can understand you liking the retro Stegosaurus more, I don't understand how you can say the old chimera Stegosaurus can possible be a more realistic Stegosaurus than this one, which is based on an actual Stegosaurus.
Unless of course, you're just talking about the colour scheme, in which case ignore what I've just said.

I understand that I have expressed myself incorrectly. The stegosaurus of Safari 2019 is more realistic (I point out that I do not understand paleontology) but I sincerely like the old stegosaurus (retro) of Safari and I say this with all due respect to you and the other members of the forum and above all I say With all due respect to the Safari sculptor.

Within my ignorance I see in this Safari 2019 stegosaurus (magnificent, outstanding and impressive) that has a bigger head than it should have said figure with absolute security I am wrong but it is my opinion criticizable but that I express within the parameters of respect to the company Safari (perhaps my favorite company) and to the members of the forum who like me are followers of Safari and its dinosaurs and prehistoric animals.

Vidusaurus

Quote from: DragonRider02 on September 27, 2018, 10:28:23 AM
Aw, no Pterosaurs:C

But love the Allosaurus' colors! The spino is nice too but I prefer the Schleich (I can't believe I said it) and CollectA ones. The Stegosaurus though looks kinda too cartoon-ish. I need to see In-hand photos.

No pterosaurs yet, there's still time. The official reveals aren't coming until later today, these are just leaks/pre-release photos. I'm personally holding out hope for a new quadrupedal Pteranodon or Rhamphorhynchus.

Lizerd

Finally they are up on the site... now when can I feed them my wallet?
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: