News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Vidusaurus on September 27, 2018, 11:10:57 AM
Quote from: DragonRider02 on September 27, 2018, 10:28:23 AM
Aw, no Pterosaurs:C

But love the Allosaurus' colors! The spino is nice too but I prefer the Schleich (I can't believe I said it) and CollectA ones. The Stegosaurus though looks kinda too cartoon-ish. I need to see In-hand photos.

No pterosaurs yet, there's still time. The official reveals aren't coming until later today, these are just leaks/pre-release photos. I'm personally holding out hope for a new quadrupedal Pteranodon or Rhamphorhynchus.

So, these have been leaks of some novelties. I did not expect to see more figures of prehistoric animals revealed by Safari in 2019.

I would like a pteranodon, as for the rhamphorhychus we already have a magnificent one a decade ago. Honestly if you do not make the pteranodon I would like rare pterosaurs in the toy market like the dsungaripterus, pterodaustro or ludydactylus for putting three examples.

A quadruped pteranodon would be great I would like it to be the same size as Papo's quetzalcoatlus.

Shadowknight1

No Pterosaurs, you guys say?  No Pterosaurs?  I think NOT!

I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

DragonRider02

OHHH IT'S AMAZING! A Quadropedal Pteranodon! Totally a must-have! I hope it's big, It would look great next to CollectA Supreme pterosaurs!

I am not sure but shouldn't the beak be slightly curved upwards though?

Shonisaurus

As I said before it seems like a premonition "A four-legged pteranodon would be great, I would like it to be the same size as Papo's quetzalcoatlus." It only needs to be the same size or bigger than Papo's quetzalcoatlus. :D

It is a great and hyper-realistic figure. It is a paleoartistic work of art, it is amazing that figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals makes this great company. Exceed my expectations, is the best pteranodon I've seen in my life, surpasses all patterns of beauty and realism. Safari surpasses itself daily. Leave the remains of pteranodon made by other companies in the background. 8)

It's great, gorgeus !!! Hurray for Safari !!! :))

Halichoeres

It was fun to read all the wishes for a Pteranodon and then see a Pteranodon appear. :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shadowknight1

According to the product page: "This at-rest Pteranodon figure is about 3 ½ inches high and 4 inches in length, about the size of a muffin (though much less tasty...don't eat it)."  It'll be 9.99 USD at release.

You're welcome guys! ;D
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Shonisaurus

Safari has more figures planned in 2019? Perhaps an estemmenosuchus or a paraceratherium? Of illusion also lives.

On the other hand, thank you avatar_Shadowknight1 @Shadowknight1  for showing us that photo of that wonder.

MLMjp

So after taking a closer look at the pictures on Facebook I'm going to give a more calm opinion about these new Safari.
First thing that I have to say is that the paint quality on these promocional figures is not as good as some of the previously announced figures. But this can be changed in the actual product. Still, they could have tried to make the figures more appealing with better paint quality considering these pictures are the first thing consumers are going to see.

On to the figure themselves:

Allosaurus, my favorite of the three, I like the pose and colors, but again, paint quality. I feel the paint is hiding a lot of the sculpt detail this figure has.

Spinosaurus gives me mixed feelings, the colors remind me of the Collecta version although this one has a better combination of colors. The sculpt is good but the swimming posture is not my cup of tea. Like a lot of people have said, for once I actually prefer a Schleich over a Safari figure. I also don't like how the top of the sail is, it is just too plain, no bumps, no spikes, it makes the sail look very unattractive.

Stegosaurus, I really really like the sculpt, I love how it is based on Sophie, but again, the COLORS, while not bad, are a little bit uninspiring
Quote from: suspsy on September 27, 2018, 03:17:29 AM
Well, I got my wish! The new Stegosaurus looks fantastic, although I honestly would have preferred it in green.
Exactly my thoughs, replace that combination of brown, yellow and such, and replace it with shadows of green. But keep the plates as they are, the orange looks good on them.

I´m serioulsy considering for the first time in my life to commission a repaint when I get that Stegosaurus. Even if it cost me extra money. But seriously, that Stego NEEDS better body colors.

PD: Hey! Look at that Pteranodon, it would be perfect if it wasn't for the straight beak, Pteranodons had their beaks slightly curved upwards. Probably going to pass on this one, I don't really think that I need a Pteranodon in my non-in-scale collection.

ITdactyl

This has been a year of wish fulfillment... Hahaha.

Oh, on a not so related note... no offense meant to those who want a green Stegosaurus.  I know I've made several posts about wishing the end of green stegosaurs. ;D

suspsy

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 27, 2018, 12:14:08 PM
No Pterosaurs, you guys say?  No Pterosaurs?  I think NOT!

Looks like we have a new titleholder for Best Pteranodon Figure! About time Safari did a walking pterosaur!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

I think that the last sculpts (or at least Stegosaurus) are not from Doug, their style is more like the sculptor of the Diplodocus and Malawisaurus.

MLMjp

Quote from: Jose S.M. on September 27, 2018, 01:04:34 PM
I think that the last sculpts (or at least Stegosaurus) are not from Doug, their style is more like the sculptor of the Diplodocus and Malawisaurus.

The Allosaurus definitely looks like a Doug piece. The Stegosaurus at first glance looks like it made by another sculptor but if you look at the feet of the Stego you can see that the claws on the model are very reminiscent of Doug style. The Spino could be from Doug, but at the same time it could not.

Minmiminime

Now that is a Pteranodon. That's a definite yes!!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Jose S.M.

Quote from: MLMjp on September 27, 2018, 01:10:12 PM
Quote from: Jose S.M. on September 27, 2018, 01:04:34 PM

The Allosaurus definitely looks like a Doug piece. The Stegosaurus at first glance looks like it made by another sculptor but if you look at the feet of the Stego you can see that the claws on the model are very reminiscent of Doug style. The Spino could be from Doug, but at the same time it could not.

Yeah I think you're right about Allo, looking at it carefully it looks like Doug's. The Stegosaurus I don't really know, but the feet look Doug style that's true. Spino and Pteranodon I don't have idea.

Shonisaurus

I just checked the page www.safariltd.com and all the products of this company are already revealed, including dinosaurs and prehistoric animals.

There are no more figures (I think they are more than enough) in this year. In total eleven extraordinary figures of prehistoric animals, I pass the link:

https://store.safariltd.com/collections/whats-new/interest_prehistoric+release-year_2019

Pachyrhinosaurus

Safari exceeds expectations once again!

The stegosaurus is awesome! The only thing I would have liked to see on it would have been a lower neck pose to give it the classic arched back, but that's nitpicking. I'll definitely get this one as soon as it's available.

The spinosaurus is definitely better than that of Schleich or Procon CollectA (in my opinion, anyway) with a more refined sculpt and naturalistic color scheme. The swimming pose will make it hard to display but it's nice to see Safari/Doug's take on it.

For the pteranodon, I had hoped they'd have a flying companion to go along with it but I like the colors and have no complaints. When I was a kid I used to bend the wings of the original pteranodon so that it could stand on all fours.

Finally, allosaurus is another winner. The colors are a little bold but it reminds me of some of the original Battat color schemes, though with a bit more detail.

The sizes of all of these are pretty good as well. Spinosaurus is 14 inches long, stegosaurus is 8 and a half, and allosaurus is 9 inches.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

IrritatorRaji

That Pteranodon is just... Yes. It's beautiful! Love the crest!

IrritatorRaji

Love the look of the Allosaurs face. Lips and no exaggerated cheeks / cheek bones :)

stargatedalek

Just when I thought I wouldn't be getting a prehistoric from Safari for 2019 they pull out that Pteranodon!

This is going to be a great year for fish from them though, that pelagic fish toob in particular is going to be very welcome.

Jose S.M.

The only think about the Allo's face is the teeth, but I've found how to making them better (for my liking) in my Tyrannosaurus, Masiakasaurus and other theropods, I usd a razor blade to make them look more separated instead of a uniform row, it should help in this case too.

Also talking about toobs, this year's whales and the new dolphin, pelagic fish and primates toobs look very superior to most of their other toobs, I really hope they take the risk with prehistoric toobs soon.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: