News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 27, 2018, 05:36:56 PM
Quote from: Patrx on September 27, 2018, 04:30:16 PM
Okay! Some cool stuff here. My thoughts:

Hey there, just wondering where were you able to copy those larger format images you just posted on the first page?

That was kind of tricky! I had to look through the code on Safari's site for a little bit using "Inspect Element" and searching for references to the appropriate .jpg files. Actually, though, I just now replaced them with images from Safari's blog, which are slightly bigger.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Patrx on September 27, 2018, 05:40:48 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on September 27, 2018, 05:36:56 PM
Quote from: Patrx on September 27, 2018, 04:30:16 PM
Okay! Some cool stuff here. My thoughts:

Hey there, just wondering where were you able to copy those larger format images you just posted on the first page?

That was kind of tricky! I had to look through the code on Safari's site for a little bit using "Inspect Element" and searching for references to the appropriate .jpg files. Actually, though, I just now replaced them with images from Safari's blog, which are slightly bigger.

Glad it was complicated I was wondering why you could do it and I couldn't.

Daspletodave

For me, the best ones are the Allosaurus, Carnotaurus, and Styracosaurus!

Andreioli

I don't know if you guys noticed this about the new Allosaurus paint application, but there are some blatant differences between the right and left side.
Look at the middle part of the feet and the sides of the chest where the arms attach:
Safari Allo by andrei_olint, on Flickr

What do you think ?
Maybe the paint application was rushed in time for the photo shoot, or is this intentional ?

Personally, I really like the Allosaurus model but I think the paint app can use some more bleding and definintely some dark wash over all that white from the underside.

Faelrin

Yeah the paint apps on the Allosaurus legs look like it could be a mistake.

Anyways I just woke up and I see that beautiful Pteranodon. Oh man. I'm so glad we got one more figure for the prehistoric collection, and it happens to be one of my favorite genus of pterosaurs. I'm super glad it is in a walking pose too. I want to see more pterosaurs in a walking pose. I love the coloration on the crest too. Looks to be a male in display? I definitely want it.

Interesting to find out you've done all the new prehistoric sculpts this year, Doug. That's got to be quite a lot of work, especially with all the really complex color schemes we have on these figures being released soon.

It is really disappointing that they would release a repaint of one of their older inaccurate models though. But I'm fully aware of those outdated toys selling like hotcakes for one reason or another (it doesn't help that stores like A.C. Moore and Micheal's only stock figures released up to like 2012, so most of those are outdated figures being sold, not giving a chance to the newer more accurate stock).

Edit: avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Would you be able to tell us the scales of these new sculpts? Assuming you haven't already and I missed it.

Second Edit: I'm hoping the Spinosaurus is in scale with the Feathered Tyrannosaurus, and that the new Allosaurus, Stegosaurus, and Camarasaurus are in scale (give or take with the 2010 Apatosaurus).

Anyways here's the sizes of the new (sculpts) figures:
Allosaurus: L: 9 1/2 inches H: 3 1/2 inches
Camarasaurus: L: 13 1/2 inches H: 6 1/4 inches
Carnotaurus: L: 11 inches H: 4 inches
Citipati: L: 7 inches H: 4 1/4 inches
Prestosuchus: L: 9 inches H: 2 1/2 inches
Pteranodon: L: 4 inches H: 3 1/2 inches
Spinosaurus: L: 14 1/2 inches H: 5 inches (seems in scale with the Feathered Tyrannosaurus, or close too it. It's a big boi.)
Stegosaurus: L: 8 1/2 inches H: 4 inches (I'm still not sure why this one is the same price as the Spinosaurus here. Especially since it is not nearly as big as it. Even the Carnotaurus is bigger yet still cheaper).
Styracosaurus: L: 8 inches H: 3 1/2 inches
Woolly Rhino: L: 6 3/4 inches H: 3 inches

Third Edit: While not prehistoric, I do want that new Incredible Creatures Salmon. Even if it wouldn't be in scale with my other North American creature figures, it'll still be a nice addition to that collection.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Jose S.M.

I don't want to sound cheap but is the $24.99 price for the Stegosaurs the right one? I got to say that I don't get why is priced like that if the Camarasaurus is a lot bigger and it costs less. Carnotaurus and Allosaurus are a bit bigger too and less expensive

Shonisaurus

The best figures of Safari 2019 for me are the carnotaurus, allosaurus, camarasaurus, woolly rhinoceros (coelodonta antiquitatis), styracosaurus and pteranodon. Being the allosaurus, pteranodon, camarasaurus, styracosaurus and woolly rhinoceros (coelodonta antiquitatis) the best ever made by a toy company in PVC format. It should be noted that styracosaurus from other companies are also very good.

Carnotaurus is very good and is on par with the genius of other companies.

Mention apart are the citipati and prestosuchus that are outstanding figures of Safari 2019 and we must bear in mind that they are almost unprecedented in the prehistoric toy animal market.

To be honest with Doug the spinosaurus and stegosaurus are very nice but they do not have the charm from my sincere point of view that they have the rest of the eight mentioned figures and I say it being a server (ie me) a complete ignorant in paleontology. The spinosaurus is a very finished and very well made figure and especially a point in its favor is that it has no articulated jaw which I thank Doug but there are other figures from other companies that I like in some way even more and I say With all the love and respect to Doug.

The stegosaurus does not convince me even though it is a very scientific figure.

As for Tyrannosaurus rex Safari 2019 although it does not belong to Doug is a good figure but within all these geniuses is a filler without stating that I am going to buy this piece yes or yes, but I would have preferred a gorgosaurus, daspletosaurus , albertosaurus, tarbosaurus or alioramus to give four examples.

This year 2019 for Safari is going to be a successful year. With regard to painting I see that there are complaints but honestly it is complaining about vice. They are massive figures and it is logical that paint failures are found but in general terms the painting of the Safari 2019 allosaurus and other figures are excellent, elegant and beautiful. In my case there is no complaint, even the best resin figures have their paint defects.

What I might have preferred is that there have been more exotic and rare prehistoric animal figures in the market but I understand the philosophy of Safari, they are remaking or better said, reediting and modifying at the same time all the old figures of the edition of the old brand Carnegie and Safari's out-of-print figures, for reasons of sales success and above all because you have to start the house from the ground Safari has opted to reprint many figures of ancient prehistoric animals to make them much better. In my case I am very happy and excited with the news this year and I can not say more.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Sim on September 27, 2018, 04:00:44 PM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on September 27, 2018, 03:16:13 PM
[...]I am a tiny bit dissapointed that only 2 of the 10 are from less popular creatures, but I suppose it Safari needs to make up for 2018 when only 3 of the 12 are really well-known, so it all evens out.[...]

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx, there were actually 13 figures in the 2018 line-up.  If you consider only two of 2019's as representing less popular animals, which I agree with, I think 4 of the 13 2018 figures would be more well-known/popular: Triceratops, Ankylosaurus, Dimetrodon, Amargasaurus.
I wasn't counting the Prewalski's Horse and kind of forgot it existed. I wouldn't consider Amargasaurus to be well-known or popular. Maybe things have changed a little recently.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Quote from: Jose S.M. on September 27, 2018, 07:36:12 PM
I don't want to sound cheap but is the $24.99 price for the Stegosaurs the right one? I got to say that I don't get why is priced like that if the Camarasaurus is a lot bigger and it costs less. Carnotaurus and Allosaurus are a bit bigger too and less expensive

That does seem a little weird. I guess it's possible that the pain job makes it more expensive to produce, but my guess is that it's a mistake.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 27, 2018, 09:00:48 PM

That does seem a little weird. I guess it's possible that the pain job makes it more expensive to produce, but my guess is that it's a mistake.
Or maybe the price is due to scientific accuracy, or the plates may have to be attached separately.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

I understand that the camarasaurus not being an armored animal, its elaboration is less expensive. The stegosaurus for its processing and finishing (it is very dynamic) is much more expensive. It may be the reason. I do not think it's a mistake for the Safari company when it comes to setting prices.

I remember that for example the Carnegie plateosaurus was much more expensive when I bought it in 1998 than larger figures like the allosaurus, it must have some reason since Carnegie's plateosaurus was much smaller than its allosaurus for example.

Patrx

I'm not sure, wasn't there a Safari piece last year that had the wrong price listed on the website for the first few weeks?

tanystropheus

I'm assuming the Stegosaurus is a larger piece, similar to the Amarga and Diplo.

Sim

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on September 27, 2018, 08:57:26 PM
Quote from: Sim on September 27, 2018, 04:00:44 PM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on September 27, 2018, 03:16:13 PM
[...]I am a tiny bit dissapointed that only 2 of the 10 are from less popular creatures, but I suppose it Safari needs to make up for 2018 when only 3 of the 12 are really well-known, so it all evens out.[...]

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx, there were actually 13 figures in the 2018 line-up.  If you consider only two of 2019's as representing less popular animals, which I agree with, I think 4 of the 13 2018 figures would be more well-known/popular: Triceratops, Ankylosaurus, Dimetrodon, Amargasaurus.
I wasn't counting the Prewalski's Horse and kind of forgot it existed. I wouldn't consider Amargasaurus to be well-known or popular. Maybe things have changed a little recently.

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx, I didn't count that horse either, it isn't part of the prehistoric line.  These are the 2018 WS prehistoric figures:

1. Triceratops
2. Regaliceratops
3. Ankylosaurus
4. Anzu
5. Amargasaurus
6. Malawisaurus
7. American mastodon
8. Macrauchenia
9. Hyaenodon
10. Uintatherium
11. Daeodon
12. Megacerops
13. Dimetrodon

Amargasaurus seems relatively popular/well-known to me.  It's now been made by the Carnegie Collection, Wild Safari, Papo, by CollectA twice, by Battat originally in the 90s and later re-released with a new colour scheme a couple of years ago, for example.  It's being made by PNSO and Mattel too.  I definitely think it's one of the most frequently made sauropod genera, with Amargasaurus being in the top 4 or 5.  If you consider Amargasaurus to be among the less popular, then wouldn't that make three of the 2019s less popular animals: Citipati, Prestosuchus and Camarasaurus?  As far as I'm aware, this is the first time Citipati and Prestosuchus have ever been made as a toy, and Camarasaurus has been made less often than Amargasaurus.

Moldovan0731

Looks like 2017 won't be beaten as the best year of Safari for a while... All the sculps and the paints were great in that year, while in 2018 and 2019 the paints are worse.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

avatar_Sim @Sim I must've forgot how to count then, because I have all the 2018 figures there.
I count Camarasaurus as more well-known than Amargasaurus because Camarasaurus was in a lot of books I had as a kid, and my dad has heard of Camarasaurus but not Amargasaurus. If the general consensus has changed and Amargasaurus is now more popular I agree with you then. Amargasaurus has certainly been made more often, I'm just stuck in the past and thinking about 'classic' dinosaurus/

Halichoeres

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 27, 2018, 02:28:28 PM

All ten new pieces are mine, the T rex repaint is not mine.

That's a lot of sculpting! It's like you're almost singlehandedly re-constituting the Carnegie line (augmented by welcome additions like Prestosuchus).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tanystropheus

Quote from: Moldovan0731 on September 27, 2018, 09:41:40 PM
Looks like 2017 won't be beaten as the best year of Safari for a while... All the sculps and the paints were great in that year, while in 2018 and 2019 the paints are worse.

Not sure if I agree. There are some worthwhile sculpts being released.

Brocc21

All right now that I've had time to think here's my thoughts on all the figures. Doug you did great!

Carnotaurus: though I think I still prefer the Carnegie version I do quite like this guy. I think the paint looks similar to the Battat ceratosaurus, a figure by my favorite company tied with safari. And the legs do need to be a bit skinner but I don't mind.
Cloedonta: A really nice wooly rhino. I don't have a lot of mammal figures so I think I'll definently pick this guy up. Though the colors are a bit uninteresting. I think adding the black band along its stomach would look really cool.
Citipati: I like this guy more than last years anzu. That's about all there is to say.
Styracosauris: What is there to say. He's amazing, Doug wow you out did yourself.
Camarosaurus: And saving the best for bionicle. I really like this dude.
Prestosuchus: He's gonna look great with my kaprosuchus and postosuchus. The colors though look flipping fantastic.
Allosaurus: Man he sure is snazzy. The paint seems to cover up the detail though. But man those colors are flimin sexy.
Spinosaurus: I think I like Schleich version more for the fact that the colors are a bit darker and he's standing but I as spino fanboy this guy will be MINE. Also I can't wait to see how bionicle reacts.
Stegosaurus: Not to excited but I really like that it's based on Sophie.
Pteranodon: I like it but why is his crest tiger striped. It's confusing but he looks good.
T.rex: I like the colors more than the original. I'll get it for my niece or nephew.

Man what a year. Doug nice job.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Faelrin

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 27, 2018, 09:36:55 PM

I'm assuming the Stegosaurus is a larger piece, similar to the Amarga and Diplo.

It isn't. I listed the sizes of all the figures in my earlier post. It's 8 1/2 inches long, and 4 inches tall. I'm really hoping this price is a mistake, since even the Camarasaurus is bigger yet still cheaper.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: