News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom by Mattel - new for 2019

Started by Prehistory Resurrection, August 04, 2018, 03:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

The only JW figure I really want is the Plesiosaurus. Was it actually ever released?

Faelrin

It has yet to come out. Probably another month or so, if not sooner.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Wow! A feathered dinosaur, might have to get one if they ever materialise. I don't get JP/JW/etc toys but I might make an exception.

Does anyone know why their Albertosaurus looks more like Carnotaurus that Tyrannosaurus though?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

PhilSauria

Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 02, 2019, 06:28:29 PM
The only JW figure I really want is the Plesiosaurus. Was it actually ever released?

Same here!, though I may have to rely on someone stateside to help me out with its acquisition as it's probably unlikely to see a release over here as we have had a random and rather small percentage of the Mattels turn up in Australia.

The neck would appear have some articulation so it could probably be positioned in a more horizontal and therefore natural position for display.

ItsTwentyBelow

I keep coming back to look at that Quetzalcoatlus. It's just stunning, and was such a surprise reveal!  8)

The perfect evolution of the JP series II Quetz, biggest drawback surely being that the new one won't also have awesome box art. I never got to see the JP one on the shelf as a kid.

I think this is the best pterosaur toy this franchise has ever released. Twenty bucks? Take my money!

Loon

"Echo":

New Blue:

Male Raptor:

The male looks a lot better in these images, probably one of the nicer raptor repaints. I really hope there's no intrusive gimmick on that Blue, cuz we need a definitive and nicely poseable raptor.

Reptilia

How many raptors Mattel has made by now? And wasn't one in some legacy box set coloured like Delta?

Loon

Quote from: Reptilia on March 02, 2019, 11:14:51 PM
How many raptors Mattel has made by now? And wasn't one in some legacy box set coloured like Delta?

So far, I think, they've release 13 different raptors. Which is from about 5 different sculpts, including Blue's colors on 4 different figures.

The green legacy raptor is supposedly an homage to the mural in the Visitor's Center:

Faelrin

Hmm so Echo is pretty much accurate but Delta was not for some reason. Hopefully Charlie is accurate as well though (green with black stripes).

The new Blue looks nice too as does the other yellow quilled raptor.

MLMjp

Why is Mattel treating the raptor squad so poorly with the exception of Blue?
First they give us a Delta who does not look anything like delta and now we have confirmation that they did not interchange its paint job with Echo, which means that they screw it up on purpose (And confirms that I won't be buying it). Why they couldn´t just take the jumping raptor mold, and painted it in a greyish turquoise green with some patterns in a darker green?

This is the best shot to take a look at Delta, if at least the figure we got was turquoise green instead of yellow...

And now on to Echo, WHY are they still using the crouching raptor mold? Even though I like the original green figure it is the weakest raptor mold. And it is not a mold suitable for repaints, specially when you are repainting it to do Echo and The Big One. Two Velociraptor who are IMPORTANT to the Franchise. Like I said, I liked the green crouching Velociraptor, but the mold is for one use only.

At least they got the colors better this time, but that yellow should be more brown.

And yet another Blue. Its fine, but I still prefer the proportions of the battle damage. They could have used that mold for Echo though...

Who knows how Charlie will look ::) ::)

tanystropheus

Quote from: MLMjp on March 04, 2019, 07:46:16 PM

Because they want you to purchase the REBORs. It's frustrating because the vast majority of their raptors are bad, with a few notable exceptions like the orange one and the green one (same mold as the orange one). All the raptors should have the same level of the detail as the Colossal version.

MLMjp

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 04, 2019, 07:55:14 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on March 04, 2019, 07:46:16 PM

Because they want you to purchase the REBORs. It's frustrating because the vast majority of their raptors are bad, with a few notable exceptions like the orange one and the green one (same mold as the orange one). All the raptors should have the same level of the detail as the Colossal version.

I´m not refering to the molds right here, I´m referring to the Velociraptors as characters. The BIG ONE, and some of the members of the raptors squad Echo and Delta. I complain because these Raptors, being recognizable "characters " and having importance in the franchise are being treated poorly by Mattel when it comes to their toys, they are using the wrong sculpts and they are giving them the wrong colors.

The Velociraptor molds from Mattel are fine, the battle damage one and it´s destructasaurs retool are easily the best molds, the jumping raptors, despite their huge feet are also nice, as well as the regular attack pack mold, the crouching raptor is the weakest, but it is not that bad, but again, they should have only used it once.

The upcoming BIG ONE that comes with Muldoon should have been a repaint of the destructasaurs mold, not a crouching raptor repaint, that or use the new savage strike mold of Blue. Delta should have been a jumping raptor and had an accurate color scheme. Echo should have been either another destructasaurs mold repaint, a repaint of the new Blue mold, or at least a regular attack pack repaint, but not the crouching one.

PD: The upcoming female JP3 raptor also has the wrong mold, she should have been a jumping raptor repaint.

Faelrin

I've covered all of these accuracy issues (for every figure) in depth in my list here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702.0

It really is a shame at how they have messed up the accuracy on some of these. Some of it is justifiable, or forgivable, such as paint apps, etc, and maybe minor things such as colorations (like the Carnotaurus' eyes) being wrong or not detailed enough (due to the sad state of how toys are so expensive to produce these days, which is why we are seeing so few paint applications on figures, compared to the likes of Kenner).

Now I don't really mind the crawling raptor sculpt too much (it is definitely the weakest of the bunch, but it remind's me of Kenner's cyclops raptor, and the head sculpt is still definitely a JP raptor, although the JW raptors were somewhat different, especially with Delta and Charlie being more akin to the JPIII raptors because of their crests), but it really is the weakest of the bunch in terms of posability, and honestly just isn't as appealing of a sculpt as the Battle Damage Blue one, etc. Maybe it appeals to the kids though, but I don't think it would have appealed much to me when I was a kid, knowing how I was back then.

Though Echo isn't too inaccurate in comparison with Delta (if I had to guess maybe this one was just a generic raptor repaint and then they changed it to Delta at last minute? Honestly have no clue why this one could not be done right). In fact her colors actually seem to match what she looked like in Fallen Kingdom as a baby raptor.

From my list, linked above, I have a section on Echo (which will be below), and have a link to some wall stickers (that I am hoping to get later today, in fact), that has Echo among them as a baby raptor, and her coloration on the render used for these wall stickers is quite similar to the toy:

QuoteThis figure is mostly accurate, though her body should be more orange then yellow, if going off her Jurassic World appearance, otherwise this seems to match her Fallen Kingdom one as a baby raptor. Same thing about the head too.

So I will be more forgiving on Echo in this regard.

But Delta? If she did not start as a generic repaint, then why make her yellow with blue stripes that are quite similar to Echo as it is? What were they thinking (or was this on Universal's part? Just why)?

Of all the film raptors Mattel has done so far, all but Battle Damage Blue, and the newest Savage Strike Blue, and give or take Echo so far, and maybe Charlie, if she has the right color scheme when she comes out/is revealed (which have minimal inaccuracies, mostly in regard to the head area which is not a big deal, and some lack of paint app choices, in regards to the attack pack raptors, etc), all have some serious accuracy issues. There is no reason why the TLW raptor had to be a raptor with the JPIII head sculpt without the quills, and I especially don't know why they messed up the iconic tiger like stripes, especially when the prototype featured them, and the paint application stamp (assuming that's what was used) was used (if not a modified version of it) for the green jumping raptor in the Legacy bundle. There is a rumored Legacy Collection Ian Malcolm Story Pack with a raptor coming out, so if there is, this is a second chance to do this one right (if not one resembling the original Jurassic Park raptor).

Edit: Adding this in depth section about the original Jurassic Park raptor from my list:

QuoteNone of the current offerings have the black/brown striping with brown/amber coloration, and yellow green eyes, though maybe this Battle Damage one, or the grey Velociraptor figure from this set could work as stand in's for now, but again the eyes are the wrong coloration. Worth mentioning that the green raptor from that set has its coloration based off the green raptor from the mural in the Visitor's Center in Jurassic Park, but headsculpt is still based off the JPIII raptor. There is this one intended to be the "Big One/Clever Girl", but again the coloration does not match at all to its film counterpart. Ideally the JP raptor should be like this, but maybe more subdued (to match how it appeared slightly greyish in the film, like so here ). Or at least like the female raptor in TLW here.

The new unreleased white/female JPIII raptor does not have the crests (since it is a repaint of the Attack Pack Blue, which I can disappointingly live with), does not have the red around the eye (which is because of the attack packs having the most bare minimum of paint apps), and has slit pupil eyes. Now the final toy isn't out yet, but honestly I'm not getting my hopes up. And of course the "Big One/Clever Girl" being released alongside the white JPIII raptor is not the right color scheme at all (nor has the right eye color). At least the sculpt is fine, even if it is the weakest of the bunch which is rather disappointing.

Honestly I'm quite sad that aside from a few of the Blues (and again give or take Echo so far, maybe Charlie if they can make her green with black stripes), that all of the film raptors have had these accuracy issues. They aren't bad toys per se, but when the rest of the figures in this line can be mostly accurate it is a shame one of the most popular creatures in the film have been treated rather poorly with respect to film accuracy (outside of sculpt give or take, and limited paint apps, give or take). At this rate one may be better off just customizing the figures on their own. At least we have some decent sculpts to work with in that regard (and for the JPIII quilled raptor, at least that sculpt is still coming out). Maybe I will give that repainting thing a try later this year.

Edit: Again it is so weird that the raptors have been treated rather poorly in regards to film accuracy (outside of sculpt give or take), when compared to the bulk of the film creatures they have done so far (give or take some minor paint or sculpt issues most of them have, like the Allosaurus in terms of sculpt, or the green Legacy rex missing out the yellow striping which was a crucial part of its coloration, because of the limited paint budget).

Loon

I agree about the unfortunate state of the raptor figures, there is no "ultimate" raptor yet. Though, looking at this new Blue, it looks like the neck connection is the same, or similar, type as the legacy Raptor; so, a kitbash of those might make the best version.

As someone who tends to be all of the repaints, I can say I really enjoy most of the raptors that have come out in their own regard, and I'll probably get these inaccurate figures just to fill out the ranks (that sounds gross). But, I am still upset that for the time being, the 93 raptors are going to have to be stand-ins (right now the brown 5-pack and the brownish BD version). Hopefully, this line lasts long enough to release more accurate, and hopefully more articulated raptors in the mainline.

Edit: Also, in regards to the story packs, I wonder if they have been cancelled along with the raptor and Dilophosaurus? Even if they are released they could easily change color or even mold. As has been shown by figures having different colors in the promo images, such as the Sinoceratops; or even changing mold, as in the case of the gray raptor in the Alan Grant Legacy Collection pack, changing from the crouching raptor to the normal attack pack.

Toasaurus

I live in canada and it seems we cant get much of the new dino rivals toys r us has good stock ive even seen the legacy collection jurassic park jeep in store i can post a pic later im assuming that toys r us might host the legacy collection figures but walmart is a different story it feels like their in the midst of a jurassic world famine ive checked my local walmart in victoria and nothing it looks like they haven't even got new stuff idk whats happening not even the battle damaged albertosaurus is there if there are any canadian forum memeber could you let me know if your walmarts have the dino rivals line cause i fear they will never arrive

Loon

Well, if anyone needs anything, let me know. I check Walmart often, and dino rivals is pretty decently available near me.

Also, I've got a spare Tapejara, if anyone wants it.

Toasaurus

Quote from: Loon on March 06, 2019, 12:13:52 AM
Well, if anyone needs anything, let me know. I check Walmart often, and dino rivals is pretty decently available near me.

yeah apperently according to walmart there not getting anymore and sure ill take a tapejara if you want i dont have one

Toasaurus

Quote from: Loon on March 06, 2019, 12:13:52 AM

pm'd you

Zhuchengotyrant

Does anyone know when the Mononykus is expected to be released? Thanks!
-Zhuchengotyrant

Loon

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on March 08, 2019, 04:19:54 AM
Does anyone know when the Mononykus is expected to be released? Thanks!

I'm guessing they're the next wave of attack packs; so, maybe in two months?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: