News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleo wall of fame

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, August 11, 2012, 07:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

I thought to suggest that if we have a wall of books, perhaps such a site might also have a wall honoring those who have contributed so much to our love for dinosaurs and our understanding of said creatures. I think you cannot have a dinosaur site, that does not in some way at least nod to the great paleo minds of the past....with that as my idea, I nominate.
Roy Chapman Andrews                  Charles Darwin
Bob Bakker                                   Gideon Mantell
Paul Sereno                                   Walter Granger
O Marsh                                         John Ostrom
Drinker Cope                                  Andrew Carnegie
Phil Currie                                       
I admit there are tons more and that I likely got a few of the spellings and names not quite perfect, but I can reasonably suggest that it is very likely you all will indeed have your own input and suggestions as well. I by no means whatsoever intend my short list to be a final one, or even close, but rather a starting point if the powers that prevail agree. The point is, I hope we never forget the men and women whose ideas, work and efforts gave us the knowledge and insight to be able to enjoy and collect these fabulous animals.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Himmapaan

tyrantqueen

I nominate...
Gregory S Paul
Robert Bakker
Charles Knight
Richard Owen
And Darwin naturally

Gwangi

DinoToyForum

It is a wall of fame, not infamy ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

mmfrankford

amargasaurus cazaui

Ugh leave it to me, I forgot perhaps my favorite vintage paleo-artist, Zdeniak Burian, and another, the man who created the mural, "Age of Reptiles"  Rudolph Zallinger. Both men did stunning work, that still pleases the eye, despite in many cases being somewhat "dated" scientifically.

Gwangi

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 13, 2012, 10:51:36 AM
It is a wall of fame, not infamy ;)

I know, I admit I was trolling with that one.  >:D Seriously though, he has done some good work in the paleontological community. Most notably I would say with Maiasaura back in the 70's and 80's.

DinoToyForum

Richard Owen has a rather unsavoury reputation.

ZoPteryx

What about James Kirkland & Xu Xing?

SBell

It's E.D. Cope, not Drinker Cope.

You also need to include William Buckland, Georges Cuvier, George-Louis LeClerc (Comte de Buffon), Louis Agassiz, Lawrence Lambe, Barnum Brown, the Sternbergs, Henry Osborn, Joseph Leidy, Sam Williston, Charles Walcott, Robert Broom, Stephen J. Gould...

I think I'm done for now. ;D

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: SBell on August 15, 2012, 12:20:48 AM

You also need to include William Buckland, Georges Cuvier, George-Louis LeClerc (Comte de Buffon), Louis Agassiz, Lawrence Lambe, Barnum Brown, the Sternbergs, Henry Osborn, Joseph Leidy, Sam Williston, Charles Walcott, Robert Broom, Stephen J. Gould...

Edward DRINKER Cope, and I choose to call him Drinker as a reference to the small dinosaur that Bakker has discovered at Como bluff he informally nicknamed Drinker......

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 15, 2012, 01:13:25 AM
Quote from: SBell on August 15, 2012, 12:20:48 AM

Edward DRINKER Cope, and I choose to call him Drinker as a reference to the small dinosaur that Bakker has discovered at Como bluff he informally nicknamed Drinker......

His name was not Drinker. That can be made clear by how he published under his name of E.D. Cope.  It just seems very wrong to refer to someone by a middle name when they are very well known, for over a hundred years, by their proper name/first initials.

If we were listing fossil names that were meant as honorariums (please, let's not), than it would of course be important to point out where the name came from, but since the goal is to list important figures in the science itself it would be far more respectful to use their actual names.

And if I was to be really pedantic, I could point out that Marsh should be referred to as O.C. Marsh.  And since you referred to him by his first name only, you should follow suit with Cope.

amargasaurus cazaui

Alright so taking the thread back on its intended path, the idea was to submit a request to the site owner to create a similar area to the wall of books to honor famous figures in the world of paleontology, and get a feel for the people who should be named in that area. The semantics of demanding someone properly name someone how we each feel important was not so much my concept.....or we would perhaps individually name the Sternbergs for instance, this thread was more intended to create a suggestion and idea for the thing, than a finished product.
  So what do you think Dr Admin, would the idea work for you?

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 15, 2012, 07:10:57 PM
Alright so taking the thread back on its intended path, the idea was to submit a request to the site owner to create a similar area to the wall of books to honor famous figures in the world of paleontology, and get a feel for the people who should be named in that area. The semantics of demanding someone properly name someone how we each feel important was not so much my concept.....or we would perhaps individually name the Sternbergs for instance, this thread was more intended to create a suggestion and idea for the thing, than a finished product.
  So what do you think Dr Admin, would the idea work for you?

If you're going to honour people, you'd need to use their correct names! ;D

amargasaurus cazaui

Right so if you just have to demand people be that strict and formal in an admittedly unfinished and rough draft of the project, it would seem only proper those rules should apply to your own postings. So rather than " the Sternbergs" we can begin with those proper names as well right?
Charles Sternberg
George F. Sternberg
Charles Mortram Sternberg
Levi Sternberg
And yes, Edward Drinker Cope fair enough?

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 15, 2012, 08:01:55 PM
Right so if you just have to demand people be that strict and formal in an admittedly unfinished and rough draft of the project, it would seem only proper those rules should apply to your own postings. So rather than " the Sternbergs" we can begin with those proper names as well right?
Charles Sternberg
George F. Sternberg
Charles Mortram Sternberg
Levi Sternberg
And yes, Edward Drinker Cope fair enough?

Yes. Everything is happy now! ;D

Libraraptor

PETER WELLNHOFER and HARTMUT HAUBOLD!

brontodocus

I second that, Stefan! :)
Huh? No Thomas Henry Huxley, yet? :o ;D

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: