News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Well, this is just odd...

Started by Sumo, August 14, 2012, 07:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sumo

I'm hardly an expert regarding Japanese models, but this doesn't look right. Check out the spotted, pinkish inaccurate Spino in the first photo of this auction
. I know that's no Colorata, that's the one from the old Safari dino toob! Same goes for the Pteranodon. What say you, are the others legit? I can't believe bases that wonky are factory originals...

I've seen forgeries on ebay before, but this is different - they've got a BIN at $15.99! Is this the least ambitious scammer ever?  ???

"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

Gwangi

I've asked about this same lot before. I was told the bases check out but I never got a response in regards to the Safari dinosaurs.

postsaurischian

Tyrannosaurus, Deinonychus & Dilophosaurus are from Colorata's first Dinosaur Box.
Dsungaripterus is from Colorata's second Dino Box - Cretaceous Vol.1.
Carnotaurus & green Spinosaurus are from Colorata's third Dino Box - Cretaceous Vol.2.
The other Spinosaurus & Pteranodon have already been mentioned
The bases are mixed from Colorata's different sets (including some of modern animals).
..... A wild mix, but still with an acceptable price.

SBell

The Spinosaurus is also from the original box--the current Volume 2 one has it's head pointing upward.

The small Spinosaurus is a Safari toob figure. The Pteranodon might be a knock-off of the Safari toob one.

As far as I know, the bases come primarily from the original Dinosaur set and from the Cats and Dogs sets.  Overall, the price is decent for what you get--the bases alone can be very handy (especially if you have any Colorata boxes--they usually come with far more acrylic rods than you can use, and so you can mount other figures like the Tedco sea creatures and pterosaurs).  I have been tempted primarily because my original Colorata dino set did not come with bases (we made our own out of Sculpy).

Seijun

Quote from: SBell on August 14, 2012, 09:57:51 PM
The Spinosaurus is also from the original box--the current Volume 2 one has it's head pointing upward.

The small Spinosaurus is a Safari toob figure. The Pteranodon might be a knock-off of the Safari toob one.

As far as I know, the bases come primarily from the original Dinosaur set and from the Cats and Dogs sets.  Overall, the price is decent for what you get--the bases alone can be very handy (especially if you have any Colorata boxes--they usually come with far more acrylic rods than you can use, and so you can mount other figures like the Tedco sea creatures and pterosaurs).  I have been tempted primarily because my original Colorata dino set did not come with bases (we made our own out of Sculpy).

Speaking of extra acrylic rods, does anyone have some spares? I could use a few.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

postsaurischian

Quote from: SBell on August 14, 2012, 09:57:51 PM

Oops .....  :-[ :-[ .... of course you're right!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.