News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tyrannosaurus diorama

Started by JohannesB, September 28, 2018, 02:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohannesB

My first attempt at some kind of diorama with the Tyrannosaurus (35cm long) made of polyester modelling clay. Quite a steep learning curve, and a bit painful along the way, but I think it has come out okay, considering. I think I would do some things differently next time though.

Jose S.M.

It's a great job, the animals and landscape look great, was this your first attempt at sculpting a dinosaur?

JohannesB

@ Jose S.M. Yes, my first attempt. My goodness, it was hard work ;-)

Jose S.M.

The hard work paid off! I like it very much.

spinosaurus1

amazing sculpture. i love the colors

paintingdinos

This is an OUTSTANDING first attempt! Sculpting, paint application, diorama... looks fantastic!

Halichoeres

Thanks for posting the in-progress pics! I loved this diorama and it definitely got one of my votes. The craftsmanship that goes into real dioramas is a big factor in my vote, and this one is a gem.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tyrantqueen

Amazing for a first attempt! It looks quite freaky from the front.

Patrx

Hey, wow! You should be proud, this turned out really well :)

JohannesB

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 28, 2018, 04:09:59 PM
Amazing for a first attempt! It looks quite freaky from the front.

Yes, weird how that turned out. It has everything to do with details that are not quite realistic, like the eyes. I couldn't be bothered to change anything once I thought it was ready. And besides, I really had no idea how to make it look better with the tools and materials I had. Better luck next time I guess.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: paintingdinos on September 28, 2018, 03:45:17 PM
This is an OUTSTANDING first attempt! Sculpting, paint application, diorama... looks fantastic!

QFE

You had my vote,... would never have guessed it was self made, thought of the rex as a kit, placed in a very nice custom base. The ptero is Tamiya, isn't it? Can hardly imagine what you do next when this was a first run :D

irimali

I voted for you!  It's a beautiful figure you've made. 

mgaguilar

This is friggin' GORGEOUS. I cannot believe this is your first attempt! Fantastic work!

JohannesB

stegosauria

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 28, 2018, 08:44:07 PM
Can hardly imagine what you do next when this was a first run :D

My exact thought!

I voted for this diorama too, it really looks lifelike. I think if you practice this more you will win later.

Bokisaurus

Wow, impressive work! I can't believe this was your first sculpt, looks really well done! I can appreciate the work involved in sculpting now that I have dabbled with it. ;D
I hope you continue sculpting as you obviously have talent. I can't wait to see what else you can come up with.

suspsy

I voted for this piece in the diorama contest and I was terribly disappointed that it didn't get more votes. It is a terrific piece of art!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

JohannesB

Thanks all!, and I think I will try a new dinosaur figure some time next year. I will keep it "easy" and only sculpt a figure on a relatively simple wooden base :-) I am not certain what kind of dinosaur yet. Possibly another theropod, or maybe a ceratopsid or a hadrosaurid.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.