News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on December 06, 2019, 06:29:20 AM
I just got mine, and like many of you, I'm disappointed in the paint scheme---especially since the prototype photo is on the back of the box.
As for the "fish tail", is that strictly a Papo concept or did Papo get it from a  paleontologist?

Definitely an artistic choice.

Killekor

Everything Dinosaur now have the Spinosaurus in stock for 41,99£, both with and without box, if someone is interested to know that.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Shonisaurus

avatar_Killekor @Killekor Thanks for the information, now I'll take care of Mike (everythingdinosaur).

DragonRider02

Good thing ED offers version without the box, otherwise I would have to pay OVER 40£ for shipping!

hao_bao

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 25, 2019, 10:56:03 PM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on November 25, 2019, 10:39:33 PM
They contact you if you're in the reservation list

I have the spinosaurus reserved in everythingdinosaur I hope you contact me. In my case I will buy it without a box, it is much cheaper.

Anyway, thanks! Syndicate Bias.

Same price if you live in the UK.

hao_bao

Quote from: MLMjp on December 02, 2019, 05:01:19 PM
A bit better than previous photos, but:
-Just like I said, very similar to the Baryonyx in terms of paint application, with a somewhat "wet" look.
-Definitely less shading in the paint compared to the prototype, a shame...
-Those teeth...they look a bit sloppy and some of them don't have paint on the root/base, hopefully it just the case of this one.

If this was a regular figure, it will be acceptable. But considering Papo is selling this as a "Limited Edition" it should look just like the prototype!
Still, gonna get him cause despite not looking as good as it should, it still looks good and in terms of size is perfect. My Collecta Spinosaurus will soon be replaced by this one.

How do you know it's a him?

Shonisaurus

For all of us who are waiting for Papo's spinosaurus aegyptiacus (limited version) "to open your mouth" I pass an excellent video of Rupi Bolz (German comes) I don't know if it will be visible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjJWZAby-44

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: hao_bao on December 06, 2019, 08:23:18 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 25, 2019, 10:56:03 PM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on November 25, 2019, 10:39:33 PM
They contact you if you're in the reservation list

I have the spinosaurus reserved in everythingdinosaur I hope you contact me. In my case I will buy it without a box, it is much cheaper.

Anyway, thanks! Syndicate Bias.

Same price if you live in the UK.

Shoni is in Spain

? @hao_bao

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: hao_bao on December 06, 2019, 08:35:27 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on December 02, 2019, 05:01:19 PM
A bit better than previous photos, but:
-Just like I said, very similar to the Baryonyx in terms of paint application, with a somewhat "wet" look.
-Definitely less shading in the paint compared to the prototype, a shame...
-Those teeth...they look a bit sloppy and some of them don't have paint on the root/base, hopefully it just the case of this one.

If this was a regular figure, it will be acceptable. But considering Papo is selling this as a "Limited Edition" it should look just like the prototype!
Still, gonna get him cause despite not looking as good as it should, it still looks good and in terms of size is perfect. My Collecta Spinosaurus will soon be replaced by this one.

How do you know it's a him?

How do you know it's not a him?

Loon

Final word on the matter: your dinosaurs can be whatever you want them to be. Who cares. Let's keep the thread about the Papo figures before this gets toxic.

Anyway, I got my Spinosaurus from Happy Hen yesterday and geez is the shipping box big. I haven't opened the package yet, but if the figures a little smaller than the box, it's still pretty big.

Shonisaurus

S @Syndicate Bias Yes, I learned that in Alcaiceria and in the Shop of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Madrid among other sites they have Papo spinosaurus limited version. Thanks for the information Syndicate Bias. It is good news.

Papo's spinosaurus will be a limited version but I imagine that in order to be such a rare figure in the toy market as the Battat dinosaurs and even the brown tyrannosaurus running from Papo 2012 version will have to spend a lot of time for the fortune of collectors.

Ravonium

Quote from: Ravonium on February 05, 2019, 08:18:22 PM
I'm not a Papo fan, but I think their decision to make the Spino limited edition is an obvious marketing ploy. With the reveals of quadrupedal Spinos from Schleich, Safari Ltd and REBOR within the past few months, I highly doubt they'd have gotten the attention of many more casual collectors (heck, they didn't get my attention until a few minutes ago!) without additonal controversy  ;)  I agree with Ceratosaurus, paintingdinos and terrorchicken that the unlimited version will have cheaper paint and/or be a repaint.

After the figure's full release, I have quite a lot to say in retrospect about this post. While I stand by the hypothesis that the 'limited edition' status was a marketing ploy, and that they'll probably release an unlimited version (although seeing the final product, this is less likely than I initially thought and will almost certainly be a repaint), how the final product turned out has made me change my mind on this strategy being defensible due to the sculpting and painting quality of the figure; unlike the figure in the toy fair and stock images, it's quite low quality for something marketed as a limited edition product and sold in a box (implying better quality than the main line).

None of this is to say that the new Papo Spinosaurus isn't a high quality figure; it's just not any higher quality than the rest of their line, or the REBOR and PNSO renditions of quadrupedal Spino (or, for their price points, the Schleich, Safari Ltd and CollectA renditions).

Mightyjptrex

Hhmm not sure what to do about this Papo Spino. Is it worth the price point? Maybe I will wait to see if they re-release it down the road. For me the Rebor GAG Spino is the most accurate but does anyone know what size it will be? Rebor says it will be affordable which makes me think it will be small. I dont know, for 65-75 dollars with shipping depending on where you buy it from does not seem worth it to me. Just my opinion. If it was 60 dollars in had I would probably buy it. (I like to check out paint apps in person) But being in the US that will be difficult unless a brick and mortar store near me gets it in.

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Mightyjptrex on December 07, 2019, 05:52:44 PM
Hhmm not sure what to do about this Papo Spino. Is it worth the price point? Maybe I will wait to see if they re-release it down the road. For me the Rebor GAG Spino is the most accurate but does anyone know what size it will be? Rebor says it will be affordable which makes me think it will be small. I dont know, for 65-75 dollars with shipping depending on where you buy it from does not seem worth it to me. Just my opinion. If it was 60 dollars in had I would probably buy it. (I like to check out paint apps in person) But being in the US that will be difficult unless a brick and mortar store near me gets it in.

They said the Rebor Spino will be about 50cm long and cost around 25 dollars.

SidB

That's quite a good size and a very decent price for the Rebor. I wonder where the economy is coming from?

Loon

Quote from: SidB on December 07, 2019, 07:29:48 PM
That's quite a good size and a very decent price for the Rebor. I wonder where the economy is coming from?
We'll probably never know. Aside from potential quality cuts, the other, human implications of producing something that cheap are a little concerning (lowered wages, etc.). Hopefully, the reasons for the reduced price are not as "scummy" as I'm worried they might be.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Loon on December 07, 2019, 07:33:37 PM
We'll probably never know. Aside from potential quality cuts, the other, human implications of producing something that cheap are a little concerning (lowered wages, etc.). Hopefully, the reasons for the reduced price are not as "scummy" as I'm worried they might be.

My guess is they are trying the PNSO route and it will be mostly hollow, reducing material.  It may also be more of a vinyl/rubbery vs resin.

Edit :  Just found a post by ED regarding the Grab and Go Komodo basically saying that what I thought above is exactly how they reduced cost :  https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2019/09/16/rebor-grabngo-komodo-dragon-model.html

japfeif

Well, my Spino arrived today. I must say it's a really nice piece of art (but I'm probably somewhat more easily impressed and less fussy than some folks), my first impression was how BIG it is.....it's quite alot of dinosaur! And the paint job to me looks just fine...considering how little we know about dinosaur skin colors (heck, the thing could be have been 100% uniform slate gray for all we know!), so if it has less detailing and such than the prototype I'm cool with that. The much-discussed tail fin.....an artistic choice for sure, obviously based on it's assumed aquatic lifestyle. It's not traditional...but not altogether implausible (although I imagine in life if there were some sort of tail adornments as an aid in swimming, it might be more akin to the raised scales seen on the tail of modern crocodilians), and to me it doesn't distract form the overall figure. 100% satisfied with this guy!
Here are some pics, even though it's not much more than already seen here!

Shonisaurus

In my case I see that the new spinosaurus as shown by J @japfeif  is an outstanding figure and I am beginning to feel guilty for my very negative statements towards that figure is a one hundred percent good figure and honestly it may not be like the brand Rebo to put an example but it is an outstanding theropod figure on the part of Papo I have watched the videos of Rupi Bolz carefully to give an example and I honestly give the figures a very good impression and it is a much more detailed figure than I thought.

In my case I have been unfair with Papo's spinosaurus limited version considering that I have it in my profile picture, now I am proud of that figure, although I will surely change it soon with a photograph of Rebor's spinosaurus. Papo spinosaurus is an outstanding figure and among the repainted ones of Papo 2020 one of the figures may be another spinosaurus, perhaps with the colors of his prototype image I am not sure but I would not be surprised either.

SidB

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 07, 2019, 07:58:12 PM
Quote from: Loon on December 07, 2019, 07:33:37 PM

My guess is they are trying the PNSO route and it will be mostly hollow, reducing material.  It may also be more of a vinyl/rubbery vs resin.

Edit :  Just found a post by ED regarding the Grab and Go Komodo basically saying that what I thought above is exactly how they reduced cost :  https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2019/09/16/rebor-grabngo-komodo-dragon-model.html
Well, that makes a lot of sense. Certainly more positive than the darker possibilities, for sure. I'm okay with hollow, since it's likely to be re-enforced, like the Komodo dragon. Another positive is that shipping costs will probably be reduced.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: