News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Loon on December 10, 2019, 08:21:52 PM
Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on December 10, 2019, 06:41:13 PM
And maybe this is an unpopular Opinion: I just cant look at the PNSO Spino. The Headsculpt and the Claws with its deformed "thumb" cant be unseen. All together it is high Quality, but i cant bear the looks of it.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I find that whole figure too be wrong in some way; it's way too thin, the weird Jurassic World "thumbs" and that neck...

I honestly would only want it for the base, since that's the only Onchopristis model I know of.

Oh yes. Youre not alone with this. The Base and Onchopristis look really great. i second that. But Papo Spino and PNSO Spino, and maybe also the Rebor Spino will look great next to each other, i guess.

I just cant stop looking at the Papo Figure. Great stuff.

MLMjp

Finally got the Spino. Is BIG. Maybe a bit too big for my collection...

Having it in hand...its not the prototype but it still looks great, even the best in-hand pictures don't look as good as it is in person. The only thing that doesn't look that good is the teeth, they look rather sloppy unfortunately.

hao_bao

Quote from: MLMjp on December 25, 2019, 05:06:17 PM

Having it in hand...its not the prototype but it still looks great, even the best in-hand pictures don't look as good as it is in person. The only thing that doesn't look that good is the teeth, they look rather sloppy unfortunately.

I think it looks like a dog's dinner unfortunately, terribly disappointing. They went overboard with its teeth and then couldn't even be bothered to paint them properly, what with copious amounts of white paint spilling onto the gums and jaw. Horrible job.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: hao_bao on December 30, 2019, 04:39:41 AM

I think it looks like a dog's dinner unfortunately, terribly disappointing. They went overboard with its teeth and then couldn't even be bothered to paint them properly, what with copious amounts of white paint spilling onto the gums and jaw. Horrible job.

In my case my two spinosaurus limited versions of Papo are outstanding figures and the teeth of both figures are painted yellow in my case, I do not know how the teeth of other figures of that African theropod will be. It is honestly one of the best spinosaurus made by a brand but sincerely it is surpassed by Rebor.

tanystropheus

If I didn't know better I would have mistaken the Papo Spino for a PNSO. It's that good. While it is not as intricately detailed as the promo pics, it seems to be up there with the very best Papos.

Loon

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 02, 2020, 01:30:33 AM
If I didn't know better I would have mistaken the Papo Spino for a PNSO. It's that good. While it is not as intricately detailed as the promo pics, it seems to be up there with the very best Papos.

It's probably my second favorite behind the Brachiosaurus.

Syndicate Bias

Papo Carcharodontosaurus is next. Can't wait to see that one with a pose that even the Giga envies.

Loon

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on January 02, 2020, 07:08:30 AM
Papo Carcharodontosaurus is next. Can't wait to see that one with a pose that even the Giga envies.

Is that a rumor or pure wishful thinking? I don't really see why they'd release two very similar looking species back to back.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Loon on January 02, 2020, 08:02:13 AM

Is that a rumor or pure wishful thinking? I don't really see why they'd release two very similar looking species back to back.

I would not be surprised if they made a special limited edition of the carcharodontosaurus by Papo by the end of 2020.

dragon53

In keeping with its tradition of dramatic poses, the Papo Carcharodontosaurus will be in the pose of dancing the tango. ;)

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: dragon53 on January 02, 2020, 03:12:37 PM
In keeping with its tradition of dramatic poses, the Papo Carcharodontosaurus will be in the pose of dancing the tango. ;)

That'll be one fine diorama for the ages 👌

Quote from: Loon on January 02, 2020, 08:02:13 AM

It was a joke

mpchi

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 02, 2020, 12:05:21 AM
Quote from: hao_bao on December 30, 2019, 04:39:41 AM

In my case my two spinosaurus limited versions of Papo are outstanding figures and the teeth of both figures are painted yellow in my case, I do not know how the teeth of other figures of that African theropod will be. It is honestly one of the best spinosaurus made by a brand but sincerely it is surpassed by Rebor.

Mine also has very sloppy teeth paintjob, ivory paint spilled over onto gum, or no paint on the inner side of the teeth in some spots. Some patterns on the body didn't transition well either, especially on where the tail is glued to the body. But with some quick acrylic touch up to hide some of those paint flaws, add a bit of wash or a few splotches to help abrupt transitions, it can look stunning. Its like the figure is great, but need the extra 10% polish to bring it to its potential, due to sloppy paint errors on some details.

I really like it now. 8)

SidB

M @mpchi, I like the result also. This is is good and a sensible approach. Rather than getting upset at a few painting flaws or minor deficiencies, why not correct them? Much more satisfying, for sure. I run into his frequently with the otherwise excellant Safari figures, especially the older ones, with their sloppy painting of the teeth. Easily fixed and problem gone.

P.S. Great pics.

Shonisaurus

Sincerely the only mistakes I find in my two Papo spinosaurus limited version in my case, is that the seams of the front and rear legs are seen, it is observed that obviously this figure has not been made of a single piece apart from the articulated jaw .

mpchi

Quote from: SidB on January 07, 2020, 01:20:36 PM
M @mpchi, I like the result also. This is is good and a sensible approach. Rather than getting upset at a few painting flaws or minor deficiencies, why not correct them? Much more satisfying, for sure. I run into his frequently with the otherwise excellant Safari figures, especially the older ones, with their sloppy painting of the teeth. Easily fixed and problem gone.

P.S. Great pics.

Thanks for the kind words. As nice as Papos are, their paintjob varies greatly on each model, and most of the time I don't get the luxury to hand pick the nicest sample in person. Though having an art background and a bunch of acrylic paint left from my college days helped. If the model turn out pretty bad or the paintjob needs an overhaul, its a lost cause. But if its pretty good looking with some flaws, like the new Spino in this case, I'll spend a couple hours to touch it up if I feel that it is something doable and care enough about it. But it is understandable not everyone is up for the extra work, especially already paid money for it. I just take it as part of this hobby, and consider myself very lucky if any of these mass-produced model looks perfect out of the bag.  ;D

Shonisaurus

M @mpchi You've sincerely done a beautiful job if Papo had been advised by you for sure that the Papo spinosaurus 2019 limited version would be perhaps the most valued figure of 2019 in relation to prehistoric animals by DTF members, although it is also true that there are many prehistoric animals Eofauna, Safari, Collecta that would still deserve the same nomination.

I said a beautiful job.

mpchi

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 07, 2020, 11:14:39 PM
M @mpchi You've sincerely done a beautiful job if Papo had been advised by you for sure that the Papo spinosaurus 2019 limited version would be perhaps the most valued figure of 2019 in relation to prehistoric animals by DTF members, although it is also true that there are many prehistoric animals Eofauna, Safari, Collecta that would still deserve the same nomination.

I said a beautiful job.

You are very kind. :)

SidB

Quote from: mpchi on January 07, 2020, 10:17:41 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 07, 2020, 01:20:36 PM

P.S. Great pics.

Thanks for the kind words. As nice as Papos are, their paintjob varies greatly on each model, and most of the time I don't get the luxury to hand pick the nicest sample in person. Though having an art background and a bunch of acrylic paint left from my college days helped. If the model turn out pretty bad or the paintjob needs an overhaul, its a lost cause. But if its pretty good looking with some flaws, like the new Spino in this case, I'll spend a couple hours to touch it up if I feel that it is something doable and care enough about it. But it is understandable not everyone is up for the extra work, especially already paid money for it. I just take it as part of this hobby, and consider myself very lucky if any of these mass-produced model looks perfect out of the bag.  ;D
It seems that more often than not, the quest for perfection is a process, rather than a given.

Sim

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on December 15, 2018, 06:07:42 PM
Quote from: Sim on December 15, 2018, 06:02:03 PM
[...]
Regarding marine reptiles, I think there's quite a bit of choice for mosasaurs and pliosaurs, but not enough for other types of marine reptiles.  Long-necked plesiosaurs are some of my favourite prehistoric animals, but I currently don't have any figures of them due to a tendency for them to be represented with exaggerated skin detail, in my opinion.  I doubt Papo is the company that will make good marine reptile figures, at least of the more streamlined animals, as they tend to focus on detail too much at times.

Additionally, as avatar_Takama @Takama mentioned, Papo has made a Plesiosaurus.  If they were to make new marine reptiles, I would guess next they would do a pliosaur, or a Jurassic World-inspired Mosasaurus even though Papo has already made a Tylosaurus too.

Personally, I feel that currently Eofauna is the company most likely to be able to make a long-necked plesiosaur that I'll want to have.  I would love to see them make a Thalassomedon!
[...]
I share the same thoughts on marine  reptiles, i haven't found a single good plesiosaur or mosasaur or really any marine animal that id want on my shelf. Really hoping eofauna makes something like that. Im gonna have to see if theres even any resin kits now lol

Apologies for going off-topic here, but I just remembered this post and I'd like to reply to it.  S @Syndicate Bias, you mentioned you hadn't found any marine reptile you'd want on your shelf.  Do you have any now?  I thought I'd list ones I think have high accuracy and are appropriately streamlined in case you haven't considered them.  I'm not sure if you're interested in mini figures so I haven't listed any.

Ichthyosauria: Wild Safari Ichthyosaurus, PNSO Eurhinosaurus, CollectA Excalibosaurus, Carnegie Ichthyosaurus, Walking with Dinosaurs Ophthalmosaurus, Invicta Ichthyosaurus
Metriorhynchoidea: PNSO Dakosaurus, Wild Safari Plesiosuchus
Mosasauroidea: PNSO Mosasaurus, Favorite soft model Mosasaurus, Favorite large vinyl Mosasaurus, Wild Safari Tylosaurus
Plesiosauroidea: Invicta "plesiosaur"
Pliosauroidea: Wild Safari Kronosaurus, Invicta Liopleurodon
Testudines: Favorite Archelon

Looking at the list above, a new, streamlined plesiosauroid figure is very much needed.  This thread is about Papo figures which has made me think that perhaps there is one marine reptile Papo could do well... Nothosaurus!

suspsy

Came across the Spinosaurus at Mastermind Toys yesterday. Price tag of $59.99 Canadian. Needless to say, I passed, but fellow Canadians looking for one should keep their eyes peeled!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: