News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

I love the Gorgosaurus,a must have for me. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Carnosaur

I dont mind the chance to finally get a brown T.Rex. and this is the first repaint ever for both the allo (really like it) and stego (stego could have gotten a new sculpt though) but yes, no more repaints please. I like the Grogo so far, and i'm iffy on the Penta. I'll need t see better pics of both. on the other hand i have been able to make odd Papo poses work in photos...

Irritation

I just love that Gorgosaurus figure, really has that Walking With Dinosaurs vibe. The Pentaceratops has some great detail, but I'm not big on the pose going on here. Can't wait to see the rest of the figures.

Atokensis

I won't be getting the recolors.

The pose and tail on Gorgosaurus looks weird, but might just be the perspective. I need more images of it. Probably won't be getting it though.

I am getting the Pentaceratops. While its pose may seem odd in the photo, if you look closely at its feet its toes are pointed upwards which means it can probably stand on four legs to resemble a ramming pose. Regardless, Pentaceratops is my favorite Ceratopsid.

Looking forward to see the other 1-2 figures, better quality images and real-life photos soon.

Takama

Reguarding the repaints. I think the original paint schmes on the papo stego and allo have been takeing a nose dive in quality from the factorys.  So im glad to see them make new schmes to start out fresh.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'm not really into Papo anymore but it looks like a good lineup for next year. It's nice to see the brown rex finally get a proper release. The gorgosaurus reminds me of the Safari gorgo with its colors and pose.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

PhilSauria

Something looked familiar about the colouration of than Pentaceratops and as I turn around to a certain picture that I have on my wall I see that this look is not a million miles away from the colour scheme on the Sideshow Triceratops. In my opinion I might add.

SpartanSquat

Looking the rex now...I realize the brown rex will be a replacement of the current green one, maybe to associate with JW. I hope the maia and galli are true

Dimitar_E

Quote from: Atokensis on December 05, 2018, 12:56:20 AM
Perhaps the Pentaceratops will be able to go on all fours (into a ramming pose)? That would be really interesting!

What do you guys think?

Still, even if this would be the case, the pose of the tail would seem quite unnatural, IMHO...   :-\

Minmiminime

Quote from: Dimitar_E on December 05, 2018, 07:05:09 AM
Quote from: Atokensis on December 05, 2018, 12:56:20 AM
Perhaps the Pentaceratops will be able to go on all fours (into a ramming pose)? That would be really interesting!

What do you guys think?

Still, even if this would be the case, the pose of the tail would seem quite unnatural, IMHO...   :-\

Ah, yes! I didn't notice those upturned toes. Very curious! 🤔
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Flaffy

What's with Papo's obsession with putting their dinosaurs in ugly, over-the-top poses? This is like Papo Baryonyx levels of ridiculous.
That pentaceratops better be able to go on all fours... I can't believe they managed to make a tripod ceratopsid.  :-\

The gorgosaurus is meh. It looks fine, but it's basically a brown WWD3D Gorgosaurus, very uninspired. Don't like the tripod pose either, and the tail looks weird, hopefully it's just the angle.

The repaints are all lazy and uninspired. Would've liked to see the Safari LTD stegosaurus painted like the new Papo stegosaurus though, instead of the boring muddy brown colouration it currently has.

Disappointing so far. Guess I'll save my ceratopsid budget for BotM.

Shonisaurus

Sincerely Papo repainted are very good both tyrannosaurus and especially allosaurus and stegosaurus these last two seem repainted by the great artist Martin Garratt. I do not understand so much animosity to the repainted ones, for me it is to collect stamps with the same figure but with different colors, I do not see it so bad. It is true that I would have liked some remodeled figures of Tyrannosaurus, Allosaurus and Stegosaurus but I understand that these figures are sold fortunately in the toy market and the Papo brand is not going to throw money out the window.

Sincerely the tyrannosaurus running, in front of the critics of which is an expensive dinosaur and that had to retire for those reasons I understand that it is one of the best theropods of Papo and that is one of the reasons that they have made three color versions and one fourth special that fortunately I have on my shelves.

The gorgosaurus of Papo is based on the movie WWD3D but the fact that the dinosaurs of this brand are based on Hollywood movies or television series (cryolophosaurus) is nothing new. It is your philosophy and I respect it. On the other hand I praise that Papo has made a different figure to the tyrannosaurus rex as I said in his day there are figures of dinosaurs from the same family of tyrannosaurus that are worth trading and that would mean large profits (at least I think so) for any Toy and Papo dinosaur company is no exception. I hope it is of an acceptable size. I really like big or medium-large dinosaurs.

The pentaceratops is a version based on pop art and that falls within the artistic licenses of Papo. Examples of figures with rare postures we have for example with the baryonyx and even the quetzalcoatlus and therizinosaurus these last two figures for me epics in the toy collecting.

I was critical sometimes with Papo but I have to admit that we have to respect his philosophy and his artistic licenses and I deserve all the respect in the world even if he is an unconditional follower of dinosaur figures and scientific prehistoric animals one hundred percent but Fortunately, we have companies in the toy market that cover my expectations in my case. I do not mind an avant-garde artistic interpretation by one or several toy brands and that is the example of Papo.

On the other hand sincerely unfortunately we will never know for many scientific discoveries made by paleontologists how they were really not only dinosaurs but most prehistoric and extinct animals.

postsaurischian

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 05, 2018, 12:56:00 AM
Quote from: postsaurischian on December 04, 2018, 10:16:45 PM
Good for my purse. So far no Papos for me in 2019 (except for the Kingfisher).
I can't believe they even gave a ceratopsian a tripod pose :P ;D .

Aside from the peculiar tripod pose, I am surprised that the Pentaceratops doesn't at least interest you mildly.

This is because I already have Prehistoric Passions' 1:35 Pentaceratops, which is made they way I like it.
I admit: For mass produced figures Papo's paint schemes are among the best, but I'm not buying figures just because of their coloration.

sauroid

i hope the Pentaceratops wont look awkward posed on all fours
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: sauroid on December 05, 2018, 09:31:35 AM
i hope the Pentaceratops wont look awkward posed on all fours

Honestly, the posture of pentaceratops is not misguided. In fact there are paleoartistic recreations of outstanding painters and cartoonists where they put ceraptosides in a defensive position on two legs.

sauroid

well, i said i hope that the Pentaceratops would look alright posed on all fours. :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Saurox

Quote from: Atokensis on December 05, 2018, 12:01:06 AM
Quote from: DragonRider02 on December 04, 2018, 11:57:15 PM
I wonder if placing Pentaceratops on all fours would pass as charging pose or something... 🤔

It works for he collecta diplodocus which has a similar pose.
I really hope that is the case for the Pentaceratops. I have a feeling it's going to be able to do that!

Saurox

I'm glad the brown isn't the same or as good as the original.

Tone and pattern are different for v2. I might pick it up for the sake of completion.

Shadowknight1

That Allosaurus repaint is, to me, top notch.  I want it.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: sauroid on December 05, 2018, 10:45:59 AM
well, i said i hope that the Pentaceratops would look alright posed on all fours. :)

Honestly I like more herbivorous dinosaurs like the pentaceratops were on four legs, instead of being in a tripod posture like Papo's pentaceratops. I hope Papo's pentaceratops can also get on all fours. :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: