News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Best Kits?

Started by ajax, August 28, 2012, 05:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajax

I never took much notice of what anyone said about model kits because they didn't interest me but now i want to start making some. Question, are the Tamiya kits worth while and which ones if any? Are there any other kits (any brand) that are a must have? And where do you get these kits from?  Thanks in advance.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: ajax on August 28, 2012, 05:19:52 AM
I never took much notice of what anyone said about model kits because they didn't interest me but now i want to start making some. Question, are the Tamiya kits worth while and which ones if any? Are there any other kits (any brand) that are a must have? And where do you get these kits from?  Thanks in advance.
The Tamiya kits are not bad, I own two or three of them. The large brachiosaur is a nice sized piece. The bases are nicely done, and have many little add on elements like plants, pterosaurs, snake, turtles, that sort of thing. If I see a downside to them, they are small..the Chasmosaur seems to me smaller than even a similar Carnegie figure. The hadrosaur is a nice model......the others I cannot offer much for input. I loved the small box set of add on figures Tamiya did..juvenile rex, crocodile, oviraptor etc.
  Far as other kits, for dinosaurs, its tough. You will likely have to go the resin road and utilize the artists known from the forum here. As most of them have threads or can speak for themselves, I do suggest Bob Morales, and his models as well. Very honest, fair and makes a nice brachiosaur resin piece. Bob doesnt keep a thread here in the forum, so I felt to mention him, HOWEVER there are many awesome artists right here in the forum as well to choose from.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

I have some old Tamiya kits. Specifically the Para and the Chasmo. Bear in mind they're very outdated though.

I enjoyed assembling them, it's very easy to do if you have some plastic cement :) Compared to resin kits they were a breeze to glue.

ataraxus

i love the tamiya kits. they are easy to build up and it includes a base and plants and other animals. the best is for me the brachiosaurus,
but the others (Triceratops, Parasaurolophus, Chasmosaurus, Tyrannosaurus) are also good.
with other kits  do you mean? Resin Kits? Vinyl Kits?
I know the works from Shane Foulkes (Creataceous Creations), David Krentz, Jonathan Radar (Raderstudios) Sean Cooper (Paleocraft), CM Studio, Keith Strasser, Galileo (Geenemodels) i like them all but for beginners i think
those from shane and Galileo are the best, the cast quality of these are extremly good so it`s easy to build.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: ataraxus on August 30, 2012, 12:00:01 PM
i love the tamiya kits. they are easy to build up and it includes a base and plants and other animals. the best is for me the brachiosaurus,
but the others (Triceratops, Parasaurolophus, Chasmosaurus, Tyrannosaurus) are also good.
with other kits  do you mean? Resin Kits? Vinyl Kits?
I know the works from Shane Foulkes (Creataceous Creations), David Krentz, Jonathan Radar (Raderstudios) Sean Cooper (Paleocraft), CM Studio, Keith Strasser, Galileo (Geenemodels) i like them all but for beginners i think
those from shane and Galileo are the best, the cast quality of these are extremly good so it`s easy to build.
I have had 3 kits from Galileo so far. The Yangchuanosaurus and Giganotosaurus I bought from him about 2 or so years ago, and they were well cast. Recently I got his Suchomimus but it seems as though the quality has gone waaay downhill. Bubbles formed on the ends of the tail and claws, spines were broken off, and the parts were a poor fit.

Also be prepared for a long wait to get a hold of a kit from him :X

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.