News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Smok was a bonecrusher

Started by suspsy, February 01, 2019, 12:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Joey

Not gonna lie, I didn't know what Smok was so when I googled it, all I got where just a bunch of images of vapes.  :o ::)

Brontozaurus

You have to wonder how many other archosaurs at the time were doing that.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Joey

Quote from: Brontozaurus on February 02, 2019, 05:19:40 AM
You have to wonder how many other archosaurs at the time were doing that.
Ha lol  ;D
I ponder on that single question everytime I shower.

Loon

DragonRider02

Ravonium

Why does it seem animals with unusual or downright stupid names are getting more and more exposure in palaeontology as time goes by?  ???

Regardless, interesting find  8)

suspsy

"Smok" is an unusual name if you're not from Poland, but I don't see anything stupid about it.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ravonium

Quote from: suspsy on February 02, 2019, 07:50:30 PM
"Smok" is an unusual name if you're not from Poland, but I don't see anything stupid about it.

Just to clarify, by 'downright stupid', I meant names like Thanos and Dynamoterror. Smok solely falls within the 'unusual' category for me.

EDIT: Also, I only meant 'unusual' in the sense that, internationally, it's rare to see a prehistoric animal name that isn't (at least partially) Latin, Greek or Chinese.

DragonRider02

Quote from: Ravonium on February 02, 2019, 07:22:30 PM
Why does it seem animals with unusual or downright stupid names are getting more and more exposure in palaeontology as time goes by?  ???

Regardless, interesting find  8)
I think it was quite some time since Smok was named...
By the way, 'Smok' means "dragon" in Polish, and since this creature was found in Poland, they decided to name it "Smok Wawelski" ("Dragon of Wawel"), After dragon from famous Polish legend about a dragon living in a Cave inside of a Hill called "Wawel".

Ravonium

Quote from: DragonRider02 on February 02, 2019, 08:12:20 PM
I think it was quite some time since Smok was named...
By the way, 'Smok' means "dragon" in Polish, and since this creature was found in Poland, they decided to name it "Smok Wawelski" ("Dragon of Wawel"), After dragon from famous Polish legend about a dragon living in a Cave inside of a Hill called "Wawel".

By 'exposure', I did not mean to say that the animal was recently named, but rather that there had simply been something found out about it recently.

While I already knew that the name meant 'dragon' in Polish, I didn't know the backstory behind why they chose it, so thanks for telling me that (by the way, it is quite an interesting story).

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.