News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Red's Reviews #1: Ebay Therizinosaurus

Started by bobbu xx, February 02, 2019, 05:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbu xx

Hi. I'm Red. I love dinosaurs and have done ever since I got a T rex for my fifth birthday.

This is me.

oh wait, wrong picture.

This is actually me. Yes, I'm a dinosaur.

Now, for the review.

I recently bought this Therizinosaurus off a buyer named jumbofree88 off Ebay. They are based in Hong Kong but this model seems to come from China.

The dinosaur doesn't look too shabby, despite the feathers on the tail being completely hypothetical. The all round design looks OK for a cheap plastic dinosaur made in China. An annoying aspect of the figure is that it is balancing on its claws and without that support it would topple over and go crash. Its long claws were each as long as a fully grown man's arm. That's about one meter per claw, meaning a full arm would have been anywhere from two to four meters long.

A closeup of the claws
The pose of the animal is that it looks to be in a running position, probably fleeing from the signt of a large predator such as Tarbosaurus or Alioramus. A great diorama would be to have several of these Therizinosaurs being chased by a CollectA Tarbosaurus.

Close up of the head

The keratinous beak is also hypothetical, as no skull has been found of Therizinosaurus. Scientists were unsure of its diet until a therizinosaur skull was found from the related Segnosaurus. Based on Segnosaurus, Therizinosaurus was probably a herbivore.

Side view of the dinosaur

It was restored by ist discoverer and descriptor Mendeleev (1955) as a turtle which raked seaweed into its mouth with its long claws until the 1980s when more therizinosaur fossils were uncovered. This theory is now proven inaccurate and has wound up in many memes and jokes made within the past few years.

Mendeleev's original drawing of Therizinosaurus

mgaguilar

Cool post, welcome to the forum!
I want to direct you to a thread you might have some interest in, the Knockoff figures thread. (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2679.0)
This is usually where we post discussions and have debates about figures that are from China, and are very clearly copied from the mainstream manufacturers.
In this case, this is the Schleich mini-Therizinosaurus.
There are a ton of figures similar to the one you posted, since Chinese replicas have covered a vast portion of the market.

And I started as a rex kid myself, picked up a Carnage Resaurus when I was 6 and never looked back.
Again, welcome! And I hope you enjoy your time here.

Shonisaurus

B @bobbu xx Welcome to the forum and great article about therizinosaurus. Thanks to people from the forum like you I am learning a little about my ignorance about the paleontological history of dinosaurs and other prehistoric and extinct animals.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.