News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

I had to let Keratocephalus go. I came upon this baby while looking for the Dino Waurs figure:

It's getting out of hand. Now there's two of them.  ;D

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on October 12, 2012, 09:14:55 PM
I had to let Keratocephalus go. I came upon this baby while looking for the Dino Waurs figure:

It's getting out of hand. Now there's two of them.  ;D

But who or what is it--is it actually available? If not, that shouldn't really count unless it's commercially available even a little.

amargasaurus cazaui

In considering the quandry created by the required splitting of the list I came up with a few meager offerings that might help at least consolidate the list a bit and leave most of it intact. If it were my own issue to solve, as most people are now familiar with the premise of the thread, I would boild down the opening statement to a more ..compressed and simple offering.
  Scanning the list of its various characteristics, all of the entries that require explanation would carry a numbered footnote marking, and would allow you to then place the footmarks seperately either further downthread or in a seperate linkage.
  Finally and perhaps the most consumptive used of space in the thread is the need to type out each manufacture each time. Along with footnoting, I would build an abbreviations table as such for the actual companies so that a pair of letters for instance would suffice, thus returning untold characters back to the initial posting. Either that or consider foresaking an alphabeticaly derived listing for one that sorts the entries by manufacturer, thus allowing each to be typed once (1) time rather than seperately for each and every entry.
Finally, it might well be a consideration to copy and paste the list as a reference thread seperately in a seperate thread, as was suggested back before things became so complicated. Creating a reference thread linked to this discussion thread would in all ways still serve everyones needs without chopping up the offered up list itself.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Roselaar

Good suggestions. What I plan doing, for now, is this: Keep the A-L bit as it is, continue with the M-Z bit further on in the thread and changing the topic title to make it easier for people to find it. They'll have to click on one extra page number to see the rest, but that's not that much trouble me thinks. Also, when the list is completed I'll make a reference thread with only the list so people can get it all at once.
I'll stick to the alphabetical order though, since I consider the species themselves the main draw here, not so much their manufacturers. Folks are probably more inclined to find out if a figure represents a unique species than to find out which companies made what unique species figures. Plus, I've already started on this road so I won't change my tactics half way.

As for the Keratocephalus, you're right to point out figures ought to be commercially available to fully count here. This figure was made by someone called 'giganotoiguana', but I don't know whether he makes these for himself or for distribution. Point is, I hardly know anything about hobby kits like these and the intentions of the people behind them at all. I guess I need you guys to tell me about them. ;) So you think I should reinstate Keratocephalus then?

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on October 13, 2012, 04:36:16 PM
Good suggestions. What I plan doing, for now, is this: Keep the A-L bit as it is, continue with the M-Z bit further on in the thread and changing the topic title to make it easier for people to find it. They'll have to click on one extra page number to see the rest, but that's not that much trouble me thinks. Also, when the list is completed I'll make a reference thread with only the list so people can get it all at once.
I'll stick to the alphabetical order though, since I consider the species themselves the main draw here, not so much their manufacturers. Folks are probably more inclined to find out if a figure represents a unique species than to find out which companies made what unique species figures. Plus, I've already started on this road so I won't change my tactics half way.

As for the Keratocephalus, you're right to point out figures ought to be commercially available to fully count here. This figure was made by someone called 'giganotoiguana', but I don't know whether he makes these for himself or for distribution. Point is, I hardly know anything about hobby kits like these and the intentions of the people behind them at all. I guess I need you guys to tell me about them. ;) So you think I should reinstate Keratocephalus then?

gigantoiguana is a she, and is not, as far as I know, a commercial modeller. In other words, this was made by her for her.

Roselaar

Quote from: SBell on October 13, 2012, 11:41:07 PM

gigantoiguana is a she, and is not, as far as I know, a commercial modeller. In other words, this was made by her for her.

I ended up figuring as much (except for the sculptor's gender  :P), so I reinstated Keratocephalus to the list.

Continued looking for pics, which I will now post on page 11 of this thread. When the full list is done I'll make a reference thread only for the full list. Until that time, the new topic title should make it easier for people to find the second part of the list.

stemturtle

Odontochelys (Shapeways)

Does this photo look familiar?  It's the star of the show.

Saltoposuchus by Inpro and by Starlux are repeats.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

DC

Takara Tomy Yutyrannus Sinoceratops
Gasosaurus Magister Militum
You can never have too many dinosaurs

SBell

Roselaar

Quote from: SBell on October 14, 2012, 10:30:46 PM
Quote from: DC on October 14, 2012, 09:15:24 PM
Takara Tomy Yutyrannus Sinoceratops

Those two have been mentioned.

Indeed. Please check the list before naming species that are already on it. Gasosaurus is new though, added it immediately!

stemturtle

Three photos were added to Bokisaurus' Fishy Encounter thread: Macnamarapsis (correct spelling), Rolfosteus, and Climatius.

Climatius is marked Hong Kong, does not name a manufacturer or identify the genus.  Does that disqualify it from the unique species list?  It is a wonderful figure, the only acanthodian that I own.  There is no question about the genus because of the attention to detail.  It still shows up infrequently in mixed lots of fish on eBay.  Is there another model of a spiny shark available?

With Dan's Dinosaurs offering a Koolasuchus kit, we should delete the genus from the unique list.

EDIT: "Macnamarapsis," from the Yowie paper label is incorrect.  The correct spelling is Mcnamaraspis.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

SBell

Quote from: stemturtle on October 17, 2012, 01:09:09 AM
Three photos were added to Bokisaurus' Fishy Encounter thread: Macnamarapsis (correct spelling), Rolfosteus, and Climatius.

Climatius is marked Hong Kong, does not name a manufacturer or identify the genus.  Does that disqualify it from the unique species list?  It is a wonderful figure, the only acanthodian that I own.  There is no question about the genus because of the attention to detail.  It still shows up infrequently in mixed lots of fish on eBay.  Is there another model of a spiny shark available?

With Dan's Dinosaurs offering a Koolasuchus kit, we should delete the genus from the unique list.

I've got at least two different versions of Climatius--one is from US Toys, one is from...no idea.  Plus, it was released in at least 3 different forms--a grey, a pink and a bright green.

amargasaurus cazaui

Are the three colar variations the same mold, or is the form the same for all three and the color the variant?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 17, 2012, 03:51:02 AM
Are the three colar variations the same mold, or is the form the same for all three and the color the variant?

The pink US Toys is different than the Jersey Aquarium Toys/un-named grey/pink/green one (don't have the green; I remember a brown one from when I was a kid):

US Toys:

Roselaar

Thanks for the updates. Added Mcnamaraspis, deleted Koolasuchus, will keep Rolfosteus for further reference. Climatius is not eligible, it appears.

Updated the list on page 11 with pictures again. Someone please help me confirm this is spelled correctly: 'Megalibgwillia'. Can't find anything on it. My leg isn't being pulled, right?  :o
And what's this about a Kaiyodo Mesosaurus? Did I miss something?

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on October 17, 2012, 02:08:02 PM
Thanks for the updates. Added Mcnamaraspis, deleted Koolasuchus, will keep Rolfosteus for further reference. Climatius is not eligible, it appears.

Updated the list on page 11 with pictures again. Someone please help me confirm this is spelled correctly: 'Megalibgwillia'. Can't find anything on it. My leg isn't being pulled, right?  :o
And what's this about a Kaiyodo Mesosaurus? Did I miss something?

Megalibgwillia is a fossil Echidna.

I think the Mesosaurus is from the Dinoland series.

Roselaar

Thanks for the extra info. Still can't find pictures of either figure though.

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on October 17, 2012, 04:33:57 PM
Thanks for the extra info. Still can't find pictures of either figure though.

Here's the Megal

Can't help with Dinoland though--I only have the 1:100 Barosaurus.

EDIT--This is fixed now. I usually preview images, but I guess I rushed this one.

Himmapaan

I think you may have accidentally placed the image link within an email code, Sean.  :) I wondered why my Word email editor started up when I clicked it.  :))

DC

You can never have too many dinosaurs

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: