News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: CAMP CRETACEOUS?

Started by dragon53, March 21, 2019, 05:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

"WASTED POTENTIAL?" Has Swrve even watched season four, or did they watch some random episode and base the entire review off of it?
If anything, season four was the most extreme season so far, and I think it went beyond our expectations.
An oversized house cat.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on December 06, 2021, 02:49:40 PM
I actually really like this season so far, and I am not even finished with it yet! My previous thoughts on this season were very skeptical and negative, but dang I really like what I have seen so far.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 06, 2021, 02:43:54 PM

I stopped listening to Swrve's videos awhile back.  He makes up things just to make a video and get views. His information is more personal theory than anything. 
Perfectly explains it. Honestly I try to avoid videos explaining any sort of theories, unless of course there is a large amount of evidence or spoilers.

Problem is he treats it like a fact with boisterous headlines.  His new video on the JWD Therizino..he's made an entire video on one image. lol

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

This was a great season. I'm reminded I should probably update my own review. It still only covers season 1, lol.

Gwangi

Alright, now that I've finished the season, some thoughts.

Spoiler
For starters, anyone who accuses Fallen Kingdom of jumping the shark but can somehow let what happens in Camp Cretaceous season 4 slide might want to rethink their position. The events of Fallen Kingdom seem grounded by comparison to what happens here. I'm not saying that Camp Cretaceous jumped the shark but for me it definitely teetered on the edge. Yes, it is a kid's show, but it is also canon with the films (also made for kids). I really hope we don't get dino-bots in Dominion and would prefer it if they didn't crossover at all.

I didn't have a problem with the dog-bots, as versions of them actually exist and I'm not going to call BS on a kid's show about cloned dinosaurs. The dino-bots however, I wasn't a fan and I don't think they were necessary. Also, there were just too many of them. Seems like a small thing to complain about but I found the existence of an entire army of dino-bots that were built by other robots more ridiculous than the robots themselves.

Kash, I absolutely hate that character and I can't wait to see him get his comeuppance. He's perhaps the most infuriating character in the entire franchise. That's a good thing I suppose. Some of his character traits, like his temper, seem to conflict with whatever his actual job is. I find it hard to believe that someone so easily triggered into violent outbursts is capable of working with advanced technology. He doesn't seem fit for his job. Violence and technology, not good bedfellows!

I love that Haley Joel Osment played Kash. That's perfect casting, especially after seeing Osment in Future Man. I didn't even realize it was him until after I finished the season but now that I know it, of course it was him.

A lot of unbelievable and unexpected stuff this season but none of it was as unbelievable as how filthy those kids where for the entire run of the season. They're staying in this state of the art compound and they don't shower and wash their clothes? Just once? I get that they're in peril and whatnot but there was plenty of downtime to cleanup, especially when they first meet Mae. Don't sleep on her couch, take a shower! Kash was a jerk but I'm sure he would have let Darius cleanup a bit, I dare say he would have encouraged it.

I'm bothered by the kids prioritizing the lives of dinosaurs over their own lives and the lives of their friends. Yeah, I get it, you gotta have a show. But it's unbelievably annoying. Nothing they accomplish will amount to anything. It's all temporary. The island is still owned by a giant, technologically advanced company run by a Bond villain. Trapping Kash in a room is a short term solution. Freeing the baby dinosaurs isn't actually freeing them, they're still contained in an enclosure. It's aggravating, and just the kind of stuff an adult thinks about when watching shows made for children.

Overall, my complaints are more just thoughts than actual complaints. Like I said before, I enjoyed the intrigue, continued character development, and change of pace. Until the trailer dropped I was convinced that season 4 was going to be kids running from dinosaurs, but on Sorna. I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the cliffhanger ending too and can't wait to see what that develops into. 
[close]

HD-man

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 06, 2021, 02:43:54 PMI stopped listening to Swrve's videos awhile back.  He makes up things just to make a video and get views. His information is more personal theory than anything.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 06, 2021, 06:50:24 PMProblem is he treats it like a fact with boisterous headlines.  His new video on the JWD Therizino..he's made an entire video on one image. lol

Yeah, he's said silly things before, but I have a habit of giving ppl the benefit of the doubt for longer than I probably should. It usually takes something really big to make me realize that. In this case, his S4 review is my last Swrve video.

Quote from: Gwangi on December 07, 2021, 05:05:22 PM
Spoiler
For starters, anyone who accuses Fallen Kingdom of jumping the shark but can somehow let what happens in Camp Cretaceous season 4 slide might want to rethink their position. The events of Fallen Kingdom seem grounded by comparison to what happens here. I'm not saying that Camp Cretaceous jumped the shark but for me it definitely teetered on the edge. Yes, it is a kid's show, but it is also canon with the films (also made for kids). I really hope we don't get dino-bots in Dominion and would prefer it if they didn't crossover at all.
[close]

I've actually noticed a lot of the opposite, at least in the FB groups I frequent:
Spoiler
Many of the same ppl I've seen excusing JWFK's lava-/pyro-proof Owen, laser-controlled, 4th-wall-breaking Indoraptor, human cloning, etc, are now crapping on CC S4 for jumping/flying over the shark; I'm not saying I love the robots, & I get why some ppl dislike them; I'm just saying that, for previously-discussed reasons ( http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7736.msg306353#msg306353 ), they aren't THAT hard to believe.
[close]

Spoiler
I find it hard to believe that someone so easily triggered into violent outbursts is capable of working with advanced technology. He doesn't seem fit for his job.
[close]

Spoiler
Not necessarily. At the very least, he's not the 1st such character I've seen. Off the top of my head, there's Zach Varmitech in Wild Kratts & Hordak in She-Ra and the Princesses of Power. Not that I agree w/their violent behavior, but I think the implication is that you can get away w/it if you're well off enough.
[close]

Spoiler
A lot of unbelievable and unexpected stuff this season but none of it was as unbelievable as how filthy those kids where for the entire run of the season. They're staying in this state of the art compound and they don't shower and wash their clothes? Just once?
[close]

Spoiler
To be fair, after everything they've been through, their clothes are probably permanently stained.
[close]
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

CityRaptor

I saw this comment:
QuoteThose kids should have been dead from the mosasaurus but nope, it's A GODDAMN KIDS SHOW AND IT DOES NOT FEEL LIKE JURASSIC WORLD AT ALL IF YOU ASK ME

After another commnetor pointed out that kids always have plot armor in the franchise, including Tim and Lex, they answered this:

Quotethe kids in the first movie I love it but not on the current jurassic world especially for a dumbass cartoon with no violence.

I think it is safe to assume that this person hasn't actually seen Camp Cretaceous.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Lynx

I know some people may not like the "plot armor" the main characters of Camp Cretaceous have, but isn't it the same in every show? This cartoon, regardless of the main characters not dying, is pretty violent for a kid's show.
An oversized house cat.

Gwangi

H @HD-man

Spoiler
QuoteI've actually noticed a lot of the opposite, at least in the FB groups I frequent: Many of the same ppl I've seen excusing JWFK's lava-/pyro-proof Owen, laser-controlled, 4th-wall-breaking Indoraptor, human cloning, etc, are now crapping on CC S4 for jumping/flying over the shark; I'm not saying I love the robots, & I get why some ppl dislike them; I'm just saying that, for previously-discussed reasons, they aren't THAT hard to believe.

I haven't seen much talk of Camp Cretaceous anywhere but here, but I'm not in any Jurassic World specific FB groups. I was just making a pre-emptive statement that you can't really take one to task but excuse the other. To do so would seem hypocritical.

QuoteNot necessarily. At the very least, he's not the 1st such character I've seen. Off the top of my head, there's Zach Varmitech in Wild Kratts & Hordak in She-Ra and the Princesses of Power. Not that I agree w/their violent behavior, but I think the implication is that you can get away w/it if you're well off enough.

I still don't buy it as a realistic character trait. I don't take Wild Kratts seriously in the slightest and although I appreciate its educational value I don't much like the show itself, my daughter likes it though. I'm not familiar with Hordak, I've never watched She-Ra. I don't watch many cartoons geared towards kids, I make an exception for Camp Cretaceous because of my investment in the Jurassic franchise. What few children's cartoons I have watched were still able to make their characters believable.

QuoteTo be fair, after everything they've been through, their clothes are probably permanently stained.

No doubt, but their skin shouldn't be.
[close]

Gwangi

Quote from: Lynx on December 08, 2021, 01:28:33 PM
I know some people may not like the "plot armor" the main characters of Camp Cretaceous have, but isn't it the same in every show? This cartoon, regardless of the main characters not dying, is pretty violent for a kid's show.

What's ridiculous is that people expect these kids not to have plot armor, as if this kid's show is actually going to kill its characters. I find their plot armor kind of annoying, watching them get endlessly chased by theropods without any consequence is boring. But I'm not the target audience and I can suspend disbelief in this instance. Frankly I'm surprised CC killed off anyone at all, but they did. And I was surprised by the Ben cliffhanger in season 1 also. The show has pushed the envelope a few times, and I appreciate that about it. It's no different from the movies anyway, those characters have plot armor too.

Faelrin

Well I just finished the series. Some thoughts (definitely last few episode spoilers here. Be warned):

Spoiler
Okay after watching it, I'm not as bothered by the robots like I thought I would be, especially after being reminded that Boston Dynamics is a thing. Honestly I also kind of dig the dinosaur styled ones. Remind of that robot raptor toy I always wanted as a kid but never could get.

Despite never being a fan of the Sinoceratops design originally, those little hybrids have warmed on me. They are just too stinking adorable for their own good. I really want to see Mattel make figures of those both. That and the Smilodon.

The scene with Bumpy at the kid's old camp really pulled at my heart, but I'm glad we got to see her again. I truly hope she'll be one of the ones rescued from Nublar that we'll see in Dominion. Pierce also felt like Bumpy 2.0 for me. Definitely got to pick up that Kentrosaurus figure when I can. Hopefully next month. Aside from the fact I've been wanting Mattel to do one for a very long time now.

I'm glad we finally got to see both the Spinosaurus and some spitters/Dilophosaurus again after all these years. It's not on film, but I'll gladly take it. Seeing multiple Dilophosaurus hunting together gave me nostalgia in a way I wasn't expecting. Reminded me of some of the old Jurassic Park games I played growing up, such as the Sega CD one.

Lastly that was one nuts cliffhanger. That's gonna drive me nuts, until the fifth season comes out. I want answers now, lol.

Edit: Not super relevant, but just noticed and thought it was funny that this was my 4444 post on the forum. Figured I'd just make a note of that.
[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

HD-man

Gwangi
Spoiler
Quote from: Gwangi on December 08, 2021, 02:22:22 PMI still don't buy it as a realistic character trait. I don't take Wild Kratts seriously in the slightest and although I appreciate its educational value I don't much like the show itself, my daughter likes it though. I'm not familiar with Hordak, I've never watched She-Ra. I don't watch many cartoons geared towards kids, I make an exception for Camp Cretaceous because of my investment in the Jurassic franchise. What few children's cartoons I have watched were still able to make their characters believable.

Personally, Wild Kratts is 1 of my favorite shows, but I get that not everyone can get into that kind of children's show, regardless of quality. In any case, fair point about WK being MUCH more light-hearted than CC. As for She-Ra, I recommend giving it a try, especially if you like Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra-type shows. S2Ep3 is an especially good example of what I mean about Hordak, especially at ~14:00 & 15:00 of this reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ITGGwX5drQ&t=978s

Quote from: Gwangi on December 08, 2021, 02:22:22 PMNo doubt, but their skin shouldn't be.

I'll have to pay closer attention when I re-watch S4, but you sure they aren't new skin stains from hiding in caves, falling down ravines, running from robots, etc?
[close]

Faelrin
Spoiler
Quote from: Faelrin on December 09, 2021, 11:51:54 PMSeeing multiple Dilophosaurus hunting together gave me nostalgia in a way I wasn't expecting.

Looks more like they're defending their territory against intruders, like the JP Dilophosaurus did against Nedry.
[close]

BTW, I think it's good to contrast Klayton's more well-reasoned S4 review w/Swrve's nonsensical/inaccurate review.

Klayton's review:
Spoiler

My comment:
Spoiler
After Swrve's very nonsensical/inaccurate S4 review (which I commented on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWoefuxemck&lc=Ugzdpa-FEM8OX6AnoDt4AaABAg.9VVeXUjaxmk9VbXbH47JEo ), I'm glad to see that your S4 review is much more well-reasoned. The Spinosaurus/Sabertooth scene is also my favorite S4 scene. That's partly why I like your reviews in general: Even though we don't always agree, you make it easy to understand where you're coming from & what your opinions are based on without presenting them as objective facts. 2 more things of note (which I discuss in my Swrve comment):

-1) I'm glad you mentioned Westworld b/c the original JP is basically that w/GMO dinos instead of robot cowboys, which is why 1) I don't think the S4 robots are THAT hard to believe in the context of JP/JW, & 2) it's hard to take ppl seriously when they refer to S4 as jumping/flying over the shark while excusing JWFK's lava-/pyro-proof Owen, laser-controlled, 4th-wall-breaking Indoraptor, & human cloning.

-2) Maybe this is like "The dress" in 2015 where different ppl see different colors, but the mother & daughter T. rex look blue-ish/brown-ish/gray-ish (as opposed to green) to many ppl, myself included.
[close]

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: HD-man on December 10, 2021, 02:20:23 AM

Klayton's review:
Spoiler

My comment:
Spoiler
After Swrve's very nonsensical/inaccurate S4 review (which I commented on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWoefuxemck&lc=Ugzdpa-FEM8OX6AnoDt4AaABAg.9VVeXUjaxmk9VbXbH47JEo ), I'm glad to see that your S4 review is much more well-reasoned. The Spinosaurus/Sabertooth scene is also my favorite S4 scene. That's partly why I like your reviews in general: Even though we don't always agree, you make it easy to understand where you're coming from & what your opinions are based on without presenting them as objective facts. 2 more things of note (which I discuss in my Swrve comment):

-1) I'm glad you mentioned Westworld b/c the original JP is basically that w/GMO dinos instead of robot cowboys, which is why 1) I don't think the S4 robots are THAT hard to believe in the context of JP/JW, & 2) it's hard to take ppl seriously when they refer to S4 as jumping/flying over the shark while excusing JWFK's lava-/pyro-proof Owen, laser-controlled, 4th-wall-breaking Indoraptor, & human cloning.

-2) Maybe this is like "The dress" in 2015 where different ppl see different colors, but the mother & daughter T. rex look blue-ish/brown-ish/gray-ish (as opposed to green) to many ppl, myself included.
[close]

I drew the comparison with Westworld immediately after finishing it.  I've always wondered about an introduction of dinosaurs into that series as well.

In regard to color I have to say I saw the same, none of them looked green to me and  i can't figure what others are talking about there. Glad I'm not going blind.

Gwangi

H @HD-man, I appreciate Wild Kratts for what it is and I'm happy my daughter likes it. I used to watch the Kratt's Creatures back in the 90's. The Kratt brothers do a lot of good work for wildlife education. I do like both Avatar series so I'll have to check out She-Ra. I'm always on the lookout for quality cartoons as my daughter gets older so I'll probably end up watching it with her at some point.

I don't know if it's new filth or old filth on those kids but they're never actually clean. Its a minor thing that I couldn't help but notice initially and then started looking for it every episode.

HD-man

Quote from: Gwangi on December 10, 2021, 02:25:05 PMI used to watch the Kratt's Creatures back in the 90's.

Me too! I also watched Zoboomafoo &, when I could, Be the Creature, but WK is probably my favorite of their shows for reasons discussed elsewhere: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2210.msg77142#msg77142

Takama

For those who rather OWN  your media

Like i do

This show is comeing to DVD

At least Seasons 1-3

May 3rd

GojiraGuy1954

Spoiler

I didn't have a problem with the dog-bots, as versions of them actually exist and I'm not going to call BS on a kid's show about cloned dinosaurs. The dino-bots however, I wasn't a fan and I don't think they were necessary. Also, there were just too many of them. Seems like a small thing to complain about but I found the existence of an entire army of dino-bots that were built by other robots more ridiculous than the robots themselves.

Kash, I absolutely hate that character and I can't wait to see him get his comeuppance. He's perhaps the most infuriating character in the entire franchise. That's a good thing I suppose. Some of his character traits, like his temper, seem to conflict with whatever his actual job is. I find it hard to believe that someone so easily triggered into violent outbursts is capable of working with advanced technology. He doesn't seem fit for his job. Violence and technology, not good bedfellows!

I love that Haley Joel Osment played Kash. That's perfect casting, especially after seeing Osment in Future Man. I didn't even realize it was him until after I finished the season but now that I know it, of course it was him.

A lot of unbelievable and unexpected stuff this season but none of it was as unbelievable as how filthy those kids where for the entire run of the season. They're staying in this state of the art compound and they don't shower and wash their clothes? Just once? I get that they're in peril and whatnot but there was plenty of downtime to cleanup, especially when they first meet Mae. Don't sleep on her couch, take a shower! Kash was a jerk but I'm sure he would have let Darius cleanup a bit, I dare say he would have encouraged it.

I'm bothered by the kids prioritizing the lives of dinosaurs over their own lives and the lives of their friends. Yeah, I get it, you gotta have a show. But it's unbelievably annoying. Nothing they accomplish will amount to anything. It's all temporary. The island is still owned by a giant, technologically advanced company run by a Bond villain. Trapping Kash in a room is a short term solution. Freeing the baby dinosaurs isn't actually freeing them, they're still contained in an enclosure. It's aggravating, and just the kind of stuff an adult thinks about when watching shows made for children.

Overall, my complaints are more just thoughts than actual complaints. Like I said before, I enjoyed the intrigue, continued character development, and change of pace. Until the trailer dropped I was convinced that season 4 was going to be kids running from dinosaurs, but on Sorna. I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the cliffhanger ending too and can't wait to see what that develops into. 
[close]
The difference is that I actually can enjoy CC Season 4. Fallen Kingdom is stupid in a boring and tedious way
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Takama on March 02, 2022, 06:24:23 PM
For those who rather OWN  your media

Like i do

This show is comeing to DVD

At least Seasons 1-3

May 3rd

Nice

Guessing the final total of seasons will be six then? For two sets of three disks?
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Gwangi

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 02, 2022, 06:43:38 PM

Spoiler

[close]
The difference is that I actually can enjoy CC Season 4. Fallen Kingdom is stupid in a boring and tedious way

Matter of opinion.

Faelrin

New trailer dropped earlier today.

Seems to be a new creature in it too?
Spoiler
A Nothosaurus perhaps? Mattel best be on that by next year if it is (still bummed there's no Smilodon either). JWE2 as well for that matter.

Also so so glad to see Bumpy again. That bit in the last season broke me. Also surprised to see Toro survived, but glad to see the burnt and crispy Carnotaurus back. They really bringing everything back for this season.
[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

HD-man

Quote from: Faelrin on June 24, 2022, 05:05:50 AMNew trailer dropped earlier today.

I like the 1st S5 trailer better, partly b/c of how well it uses music to set the tone, & partly b/c the new one does that annoying thing where lines & scenes that obviously don't go together are edited together (E.g. Kenji's "stay out of it" line at 0:45).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: