News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

"Every Godzilla Movie, Ranked"

Started by dragon53, April 10, 2019, 12:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laticauda

Always hard to rank. The question is what about Godzilla movies do you love or hate.  As a kid I loved Godzilla vs the sea monster, now, I think it is silly.  In the end, the list has the original as the best and that's how it should be.

alexeratops

Something tells me the upcoming film will end up high on this list.
like a bantha!

Mackeral

Nice to see that they value Shin Godzilla as second best.
I can watch the atomic breath scene over and over again with that constrasting beautiful music and an almost terrifying monster.

dragon53

Here's a ranking of the 30 GODZILLA movies.

Link: https://screenrant.com/godzilla-movies-ranked-worst-best/

Jose S.M.

Quote from: dragon53 on May 27, 2019, 05:51:38 PM
Here's a ranking of the 30 GODZILLA movies.

Link: https://screenrant.com/godzilla-movies-ranked-worst-best/
It's funny how this list is very different to the first one in this thread.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Jose S.M.

I also liked the 2014 one very much but yeah it shouldn't be that high in this new one nor that low as in the first list here.

Fembrogon

I stopped reading this list as soon as I saw Godzilla's Revenge, Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster at the bottom. Revenge is the cheap and easy target for "worst Godzilla film" (besides maybe Megalon and the 98 film), and it's such an unusual case in how it was conceived, that I don't think it's even fair to be so hard on the film - especially when Toho went and made schlock like Spacegodzilla and Final Wars on proper budgets decades later.
Son of Godzilla, in my opinion, is legitimately one of the best entries of the franchise. No, it doesn't feature grand city destruction sequences, or carry any deep political/environmental message*, but it's a strong character story for the humans and monsters alike. It also features some lovely sets, impressive marionette work for the giant arthropods, and a delightful score by Masaru Sato. It's an all-around solid film, albeit not a stereotypical Godzilla film.
Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster was always a favorite of mine as a kid, and it still is. While not as strong of a film as its successor Son of Godzilla, Sea Monster is still an engaging little adventure film with charming everyman leads and lots of colorful setpieces. This rendition of Godzilla (carried over from Monster Zero) is also my absolute favorite in the whole franchise - the suit is pretty good on its own (before rotting), but really it's Godzilla's personality. The story wields Godzilla very literally as a living WMD, and Haruo Nakajima's performance really conveys Godzilla's nature as very aggressive and alert, but only when provoked and ultimately entirely neutral. The movie doesn't really make any statement about nuclear weapons, but I think Godzilla personifies that hazardous power quite pointedly here.

*...Although, I have seen it argued that Son of Godzilla is actually a very optimistic, pro-science movie, in contrast to many monster/scifi films. Not only do the main characters acknowledge the risks of their experiments and isolate themselves on the island appropriately, but that very technology is ultimately what helps them escape from the island too. It's subtly cautionary, but without condemning the pursuit.

HD-man

Correct me if I'm wrong, but based on the overlap btwn the Screenrant list & others like it, I think it's safe to say that the best-to-worst Godzilla movies (in terms of overall quality & excluding the American movies) are more-or-less as follows:

-1) Godzilla 1954 + Shin Godzilla

-2) Most of the Heisei movies

-3) Some of the Showa movies (E.g. Mothra vs. Godzilla) + some of Heisei movies (E.g. Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla)

-4) The Millennium movies

-5) Most of the Showa movies
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Syndicate Bias

My list is too long but I have to say:

1. Godzilla Vs MechaGodzilla
2. Tokyo S.O.S
3. Godzilla vs Destoroyah
4. GMK
5. Shin

To be fair I loved all Millenium movies and most of Heisei but Showa the only movie i liked was Hedorah. The American films are my guilty pleasure

HD-man

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on June 03, 2019, 10:37:30 PM1. Godzilla Vs MechaGodzilla

Which 1?
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Mellow Stego

I love Godzilla, but I definitely prefer the Showa era.

1 Godzilla vs Gigan
2 Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (74)
3 Godzilla vs The Sea Monster
4 GKotM
5 Mothra vs Godzilla (64)

Honorable mentions go to:
1 Rodan
2 Varan
3 The Mysterians
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: HD-man on June 06, 2019, 01:51:49 AM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on June 03, 2019, 10:37:30 PM1. Godzilla Vs MechaGodzilla

Which 1?

Millenium series.

followed up by S.O.S and SpaceGodzilla and Destoroyah

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.