News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Meet Suskityrannus!

Started by suspsy, May 06, 2019, 05:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

A Middle Cretaceous intermediate between tyrannosauroids and tyrannosaurids!

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-019-0888-0
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

UtahraptorFan

I googled it, wondering if it was the Moreno Hill tyrannosauroid featured in Planet Dinosaur and referred to there by the nomen nudum, "Zunityrannus." I guess not as it wasn't much bigger, if at all, than Moros. I think it's a pretty cool name, meaning "coyote tyrant."
Guide to whether I use suffixes in clade references:
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.
-If it's not named for a genus, leave it off. Examples: Genasaur, Gravisaur.
-Exceptions to the 3rd: Maniraptoran, Saur-/Ornithischian

suspsy

RaptorRex

I had the pleasure of attending the official announcment of Suskityrannus at the Arizona Museum of Natural History. Below is the fantastic reconstruction done by the AZMNH team as well as the cast skeleton, which if you've been to the AZMNH was originally our 'Zuni Coelurosaur.'

Jose S.M.

Interesting discovery. And that reconstruction looks great.

MoarCrossovers

Ravonium

As much as I don't care for tyrannosaurids, this is quite interesting news, esecially when compared to the other news of today; yet another royal baby...sigh

Also, wow, that AZMNH reconstruction is good  ^-^

RaptorRex

Quote from: UtahraptorFan on May 06, 2019, 05:27:51 PM
I googled it, wondering if it was the Moreno Hill tyrannosauroid featured in Planet Dinosaur and referred to there by the nomen nudum, "Zunityrannus." I guess not as it wasn't much bigger, if at all, than Moros. I think it's a pretty cool name, meaning "coyote tyrant."
That, as well as the 'dromaeosaur' featured in When Dinosaurs Roamed America was based on fossil material from Suskityrannus.

UtahraptorFan

Quote from: RaptorRex on May 06, 2019, 09:58:52 PM
That, as well as the 'dromaeosaur' featured in When Dinosaurs Roamed America was based on fossil material from Suskityrannus.
Interesting. Based on your pictures, I guess, not having the rear of the skull, they went with a similar field of view to dromaeosaurids.
Guide to whether I use suffixes in clade references:
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.
-If it's not named for a genus, leave it off. Examples: Genasaur, Gravisaur.
-Exceptions to the 3rd: Maniraptoran, Saur-/Ornithischian

Logo7

Quote from: UtahraptorFan on May 07, 2019, 05:10:19 PM
Quote from: RaptorRex on May 06, 2019, 09:58:52 PM
Interesting. Based on your pictures, I guess, not having the rear of the skull, they went with a similar field of view to dromaeosaurids.
The snout was originally believed to belong to a dromeosaur, hence the dromeosaurs in When Dinosaurs Roamed America. The coelurosaurs that appear in the same documentary are also based off of the material for Suskityrannus and are actually the animal that this new genus is based on. The "Zunityrannus" from Planet Dinosaur is apparently a combination of this animal and an indeterminate theropod leg bone found in the formation, although I can't remember what source claimed that last part, so take it with a grain of salt.

VD231991

suspsy

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.