News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

avatar_TheCanadianStenonychosaur

Carnegie Albertosaurus

Started by TheCanadianStenonychosaur, July 13, 2019, 01:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCanadianStenonychosaur

Hey everyone I have a quick question regarding the Carnegie Albertosaurus. When it was being sculpted, was it based off of A.sarcophagus or A.libratus (now Gorgosaurus)? I have asked Safari a few days ago, who redirected me to the Carnegie Museum, and they have not responded yet. Thanks!
(Finger guns)

Pachyrhinosaurus

I checked through my Carnegie tags and no species is indicated, but I think Albertosaurus sarcophagus is correct. The overall shape isn't as gracile as I would think it would be for gorgosaurus, the skull seems a little deeper, and the lacrimal horns aren't as pronounced.

It would be interesting to see if the Carnegie responds. If they don't then another option would be to contact Forest Rogers to see if she knows.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on July 13, 2019, 03:26:02 PM
I checked through my Carnegie tags and no species is indicated, but I think Albertosaurus sarcophagus is correct. The overall shape isn't as gracile as I would think it would be for gorgosaurus, the skull seems a little deeper, and the lacrimal horns aren't as pronounced.

It would be interesting to see if the Carnegie responds. If they don't then another option would be to contact Forest Rogers to see if she knows.

TBH adult Albertosaurus and adult Gorgosaurus skulls are pretty similar and it night be tough to tell them apart in life. That being said, I would also assume it's A. sarcophagus, since most reference material on Gorgosaurus shows the more slender subadult skull.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Halichoeres

The same year Safari released the Carnegie Albertosaurus, they released the very homely Wild Safari Gorgosaurus. I don't know how much people involved in the two lines talked to each other, but it seems possible that someone at least considered them separate.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TheCanadianStenonychosaur

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on July 13, 2019, 03:26:02 PM

I have checked my tags too and it doesn't say anything also. Was Forest Rogers the one who sculpted the Carnegie prototypes?
(Finger guns)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.