News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PrimevalRaptor's artworks

Started by PrimevalRaptor, July 22, 2019, 07:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrimevalRaptor

Thanks everyone!
Been some time since the last update, partially cause I'm working on a bigger project (it is a size chart with members of a certain family of dinosaurs, currently I got like...4 out of 9 done) and my computer dying on me finally after some final stutters a week ago.
I do got a new one though and I even brought some new art along!

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres See I train the subjects of my art well (otherwise it'd be a pain to get them to hold still long enough to paint them... :P)
And thanks avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus and I agree, mosasaurs really are incredible animals, it would be exciting to swim with them but maaaaybe a bit dangerous.

Now for the new art:

An old Triceratops get's disturbed from his dinner by a curious onlooker.
Let's hope he's not grumpy.

Felt like doodling a ceratopsian again after picking up the Papo Triceratops...and that escalated a bit.

Shonisaurus

Great! It has been fabulous on you, it is a hyper-realistic pictorial work, the effect of the sky in a sunset at dusk has been perfect for you. The cloud looks like a photograph, that triceratops is something out of the ordinary. I honestly know paleoartists who illustrate dinosaur books that cannot be compared to your artistic creations. And what I'm telling you is not a compliment.

It is something wonderful, I said, light effect and the triceratops illuminated by a sun that retreats to make way for the night has come out embroidered, it looks like a photograph.

Bokisaurus

Love that new trike, very dramatic. is it computer generated or oil/acrylic? Beautiful work.

PrimevalRaptor

Thanks a lot, you two! That's some high praise!

B @Bokisaurus it's digitally painted! :D

Jose S.M.

Love the Triceratops! One of my favorite dinosaurs beautifully portrayed.

PrimevalRaptor

Glad to hear I managed to do one of your favorites justice!

The big project is slooooowly approaching it's final stages, probably gonna be finished next month, but I got a bit of a treat in the meantime:

The recently described mosasaur Gnathomortis shortly before using it's eponymous jaws to chomp down on a Gillicus.

Apparently this new species didn't get much love and since I'm a big mosasaur fan, I had to get onto this immediately.

Shonisaurus

You have also done justice to that rare gnathomortis mosasaur, the effects of water, light, depth and volume of both the water and the described animal are sublime. I congratulate you, you are a tall paleoartist.

Halichoeres

That's a really nice piece, although as an acinopt partisan I choose to interpret as the Gillicus about to get away.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PrimevalRaptor

Thanks a lot, you two! :D
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres That's a valid position, I can certainly see this outcome as well, guess it's good that the picture is basically an open-ended story, huh?

And now for the big project I've been teasing for some time!

So this has been something I worked on for the last 2 months, a size chart showing the diversity of the Tyrannosauroidea, a pretty fascinating family of theropods.
Also wanted to show off different integument possibilities.

Used skeletal references by Scott Hartman, randomdinos and Get_Away_Trike

Shonisaurus

What a beautiful illustration. It is honestly one of the most interesting groups of theropods within the carnivorous dinosaurs and honestly except for tyrannosaurus rex, the rest of tyrannosauroids are little treated animals in the world of toy / resin dinosaur collecting.

PrimevalRaptor

Thank you! I really learned to appreciate them a LOT more during this project, they really are some very unique animals (and hey, we are getting a new Daspletosaurus at least!)

Despite it's immense size, the aptly named giant sauropod Supersaurus vivianae is dwarved in comparison to an approaching storm.
This scene takes place in the Morrison Formation of Colorado, 153 million years ago and is a remake of an older piece of mine.

I still like the original quite a bit but I diiiiiid improve in a few areas I'd say lmao

Kapitaenosavrvs

Awesome Work on all the new digital Paintings!
And yes, i would consider it a big Improvement!

(Got the Frames for the Prints. I am so sorry i takes so long. I tend to focus on something and forget everything for a few weeks. I got the Frames here next to me leaning on the Wall.)

ceratopsian

The Morrison reworking is impressive. Highly atmospheric.

irimali

Beautiful work!  The storm looks pretty ominous and the supersaurus's body language feels appropriately tense.  And the subtle lighting/color on the trees and ferns too really captures that just-before-the-storm feel.

Shonisaurus

It has been great. You have captured with this painting the effect of darkness that a storm produces. I sincerely hope that in the years to come there will be more remains of sauropods of the size of the supersaurus. As always you do paintings that must be in the best dinosaur books.

You have a rare, exotic and outstanding mastery. My congratulations on your first-rate quality paleoartistic work.

PrimevalRaptor

Thanks a lot everyone!
I'm very glad you enjoy the atmosphere, I always love the feeling of approaching rain or thunderstorms.

avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs no need to apologize! Take your time, I know that feel very well. :D (And they won't run away after all)

And here's something new, probably the last piece for this year unless some new discovery happens

After hearing about the new cretaceous compsognathid on the block I immediately had to doodle it.
Ubirajara jubatus sports some pretty weird filaments, probably for display.
Tried to somewhat evoke the style of old bird illustrations.

Also worth of note that there's controversy around this fossil since it seems to have been smuggled out of Brazil which is a shame.

PrimevalRaptor

After starting 2020 with a new discovery, I'm starting 2021 with some classic theropod...who did recieve a makeover last year.
Who doesn't love Dilophosaurus?

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you on your new acquisitions. The dilophosaurus has looked great on you. And the ubirajara placed in that illustration on a tree has been masterful as you say to evoke illustrations of ancient birds, in my case it reminds me of a tree monkey.

Tyto_Theropod

These are all beautiful, avatar_PrimevalRaptor @PrimevalRaptor - all your art seems to have that 'wow' factor to it.  My favourites of your recent ones are the Supersaurus and the Dilophosaurus, the former being so atmospheric, and the latter almost like a photograph.  One thing you could improve on the Dilophosaurus are the ferns in the background.  To me they're kind of flat looking in comparison with everything else, and the way they're arranged makes it look like the dinosaur is standing in a conveniently sized patch of bare ground - in other words, it takes away from the realism and natural feel.  IMHO it would look better without them, or with their distribution tweaked, but that might just be me.  Just some constructive crit - overall it's still a wonderful piece!
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

PrimevalRaptor

Thanks a lot!
avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus I can see where you'd get the monkey image from, maybe this guy was a bit mischievous as well. :D

avatar_Tyto_Theropod @Tyto_Theropod Glad you like those two pieces so much, I like them a lot as well! Interesting that you mentioned the ferns, originally I had none in there and then experimented quite a bit, tried to properly mesh them in with the ground but that didn't quite work as planned so I left them as a small touch, even if I noticed that "convenient patch of ground" feel as well. Thanks for your input!

I also brought something fresh as well!

It hasn't even been a year since my last reconstruction and yet here's another Spinosaurus...probably not the last one for this year.
I just wanted to update my avatar and things...escalated lmao
Big shoutout to @tomozaurus on Twitter for his advice (and reconstruction) on Weichselia.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: